Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3176 [242]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618630 [74]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [17]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3176 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: How many odd integers are greater than the integer x and [#permalink]
Quote:
Hope it's clear.

You are genius. Many thanks Bunuel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
How many odd integers are greater than the integer x and less than the integer y?

1) There are 12 even integers greater than x and less than y
2) There are 24 integers greater than x and less than y

Sorry, I tried to search the forum for previous explanations. But since the search was too generic, it didn't fetch any results.

(1) Here is the string of 12 even integers and 11 odd integers between them: eoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoe.

4 cases are possible:

If x and y are both odd then XeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeY then there will be 11 odd integers between them;
If x and y are both even then XoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoY then there will be 11+2=13 odd integers between them;
If x is even and y is odd then XoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeY then there will be 11+1=12 odd integers between them;
If x is odd and y is even then XeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoY then again there will be 11+1=12 odd integers between them.

Not sufficient.

(2) Out of 24 consecutive integers greater than X and less than Y in any case half will be odd and another half will be even, so there are 12 odd integers greater than X and less than Y. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

P.S. You can try instead of 12 and 24 some smaller numbers to simplify calculations for example 2 even integers for (1) and 4 integers for (2).

Orange08 wrote:
why are the integers assumed consecutive over here?

Are you talking about (2)? If we are told that there are 4 integers more than X=1 and less than Y=6, then these integers are 2, 3, 4, and 5 - 4 consecutive integers, how else? Note that half are odd and half are even. Or if X=2 and Y=7 then these integers would be 3, 4, 5 and 6 - 4 consecutive integers: half are odd and half are even.

Hope it's clear.

hey bunnel, when you say "4 integers more than X=1 and less than Y=6" why cant it be 1,2,2,2,2,6, or, 1,2,5,5,5,6 this satisfies the statement rather than consecutive integers, right, the question did not say only consecutive or different numbers,,,, ,,iam i missing somethi here,,,,could you explain
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618630 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
satishreddy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
How many odd integers are greater than the integer x and less than the integer y?

Sorry, I tried to search the forum for previous explanations. But since the search was too generic, it didn't fetch any results.

(1) Here is the string of 12 even integers and 11 odd integers between them: eoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoe.

4 cases are possible:

If x and y are both odd then XeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeY then there will be 11 odd integers between them;
If x and y are both even then XoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoY then there will be 11+2=13 odd integers between them;
If x is even and y is odd then XoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeY then there will be 11+1=12 odd integers between them;
If x is odd and y is even then XeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoeoY then again there will be 11+1=12 odd integers between them.

Not sufficient.

(2) Out of 24 consecutive integers greater than X and less than Y in any case half will be odd and another half will be even, so there are 12 odd integers greater than X and less than Y. Sufficient.

P.S. You can try instead of 12 and 24 some smaller numbers to simplify calculations for example 2 even integers for (1) and 4 integers for (2).

Orange08 wrote:

Are you talking about (2)? If we are told that there are 4 integers more than X=1 and less than Y=6, then these integers are 2, 3, 4, and 5 - 4 consecutive integers, how else? Note that half are odd and half are even. Or if X=2 and Y=7 then these integers would be 3, 4, 5 and 6 - 4 consecutive integers: half are odd and half are even.

Hope it's clear.

hey bunnel, when you say "4 integers more than X=1 and less than Y=6" why cant it be 1,2,2,2,2,6, or, 1,2,5,5,5,6 this satisfies the statement rather than consecutive integers, right, the question did not say only consecutive or different numbers,,,, ,,iam i missing somethi here,,,,could you explain

What is "1,2,2,2,2,6, or, 1,2,5,5,5,6"?

Let me ask you a question: how many integers are more than 1 and less than 6? Can the answer be other than 4 (2, 3, 4 and 5)?

Or another way: if 1<n<6 then how many integer values n can take?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [3]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
Werewolf wrote:

1. There are 12 even integers greater than x and less than y

2. There are 24 integers greater than x and less than y

The first statement says there are 12 even integers. There are two cases for this:

1. x is an odd integer, in which case there will be 12 even integers but only 11 odd integers.
2. x is an even integer, in which case there will be 12 each of even and odd integers.

Hence this is insufficient.

Statement 2 says there are 24 integers greater than x and lesser than y.

Two cases:

1. x is an odd integers, which means there will be 12 even integers and 12 odd integers.
2. x is an even integer, in which case there will be 12 each of even and odd integers.

In both cases, the answer is the same and hence answer is B. I got tripped up by this question, good one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Bunuel, I chose E instead of B, since it is not stated that the integers are consecutive, so do you have any explanation on this matter ?
thank you
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618630 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
imadkho wrote:
Bunuel, I chose E instead of B, since it is not stated that the integers are consecutive, so do you have any explanation on this matter ?
thank you

(2) says that: there are 24 integers greater than x and less than y. Naturally those 24 integers between x and y are consecutive, how else? Consider x=1 and y=26: there are following 24 integers between them: 2, 3, 4, ..., 25.

Also check this post about the same issue: how-many-odd-integers-are-greater-than-the-integer-x-and-100521.html#p809821

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

4 cases are possible:

Not sufficient.

Orange08 wrote:

Hope it's clear.

I think the best way to cehck 2 would be to reduce the number to 4 from 24 and try out.. eoeoeo.. the result would be in sync with 24 numbers .. same applies to 1 as well.

what say?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [6]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos