Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many people are directors of both Company K and Company

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

How many people are directors of both Company K and Company [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 06:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:39) correct 20% (00:41) wrong based on 100 sessions
How many people are directors of both Company K and Company R ?

(1) There were 17 directors present at a joint meeting of the directors of Company K and Company R, and no directors were absent.
(2) Company K has 12 directors and Company R has 8 directors.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: how-many-people-are-directors-of-both-company-k-and-company-139479.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th Edition DS #50 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
placebo wrote:
This isn't a difficult question, nor does it require calculations. But I still just don't get the answer.

How many people are directors of both Company K and Company R?

[1] There were 17 directors present at a joint meeting of the directors of Company K and Company R, and no directors were absent.
[2] Company K has 12 directors and Company R has 8 directors.

I would think the answer is A. "...17 directors present at...meeting of the directors of Company K and Company R...none were absent."

But the answer is C.

Maybe I haven't had enough food today.

stmnt1 - total 17 directors of Company K and R. We dont know how many are directors of both K and R. hence insuff

stmnt2- again insuff. we just know the number of directors in K and R

taking together we have total 17 directors. Out of this 17, 12 are members of K which leaves only 5 members but company R has 8 members so 3 are members of both K and R. hence C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: OG 12th Edition DS #50 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 09:52
Thank you for the help.

Jesus, the question is just really far fetched. Ugh, don't like it.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: OG 12th Edition DS #50 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
placebo wrote:
This isn't a difficult question, nor does it require calculations. But I still just don't get the answer.

[1] There were 17 directors present at a joint meeting of the directors of Company K and Company R, and no directors were absent.

I would think the answer is A. "...17 directors present at...meeting of the directors of Company K and Company R...none were absent."

But the answer is C.

actually if u see they are asking for the union of company K and R's director, lets say its x
then KUR = K+R - kr => 17 = 12 +8 -kr => kr = 3
we cannot deduce intersection from any one stmt but with both the stmts. so ans is C

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 9

Re: OG 12th Edition DS #50 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
For some reason, I still didn't get it. Till you read the sentence "None were absent". Here is the matrix I created combining statements 1 and 2.

Code:
             KD        NotKD
RD             x                          8

NotRD                       0         

Total        12                          17

I guess with that, we can find value of x. Let me know if this helped. Sorry for the ugly formatting.
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3785 [1] , given: 148

Re: OG 12th Edition DS #50 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
placebo wrote:

But the answer is C.

I think where you got confused was the difference between 'How many people are directors of both Company K and Company R' and 'How many total directors are there in Company K and Company R'. The question asks how many people are directors of both companies.

There are some people who are directors of only Company K, some who are directors of only company R and some who are directors of both. Now think, is statement 1 sufficient? It only tells us the total number of directors, not the ones common to K and R.
If statement 2 alone sufficient. It again tells us how many each company has, not how many they have in common.
When you take both statements together, you find out that total there are 17 directors. Company K has 12 and company R has 8 which adds up to 20 so 3 directors must be common to them. Now we get the information we were looking for. Answer (C).
Check out sets theory for more such questions.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How many people are directors of both Company K and Company [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 04:05
It can also b solved by using Set theory.

Statement 1 says
N(K) - Number of Directors of Company K = 12 ( Given) and
N(R) - Number of Directors of Company R = 8 ( Given)

Statement 2 says
N(KUR) - Number of Directors of both Company K and R = 17 ( Given)

Combining both statements we get the final Equation of Set Theory -

We have been asked to find N(K and R) ( Intersection of both ).

According to the formula -

N(k U R) = N(K) + N(R) - N(A and B)
17 = 12 + 8 - N(A and B)

Hence - N(A and B) = 3
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

MGMAT Double Set Matrix for this DS-problem [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 12:39
Hi,

I usually use the Double Set Matrix MGMAT suggests when I have to solve OS-questions. Now I came across this problem in the OG (question 50 in DS section, 12th):

(1) There were 17 directors present at a joint meeting of the directors of Company K and Company R, and no directors were absent.

Solution is pretty straightforward if you take a moment and think about it. But I was wondering if you can deduce the answer just by looking at the Double Set Matrix.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: MGMAT Double Set Matrix for this DS-problem [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 01:49
alex01 wrote:
Hi,

I usually use the Double Set Matrix MGMAT suggests when I have to solve OS-questions. Now I came across this problem in the OG (question 50 in DS section, 12th):

Solution is pretty straightforward if you take a moment and think about it. But I was wondering if you can deduce the answer just by looking at the Double Set Matrix.

Its 'C' for me. as none of the sentence is self sufficient to answer the question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: How many people are directors of both Company K and Company [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 18:06
Please help!

I don't understand why any of the 17 directors couldn't be directors of the both Company X and Company Y. What am I missing?

20-17 = 3 doesn't make sense to me.
Math Expert
Followers: 2869

Kudos [?]: 18344 [0], given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: How many people are directors of both Company K and Company [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 00:28
Expert's post
uagarwal24 wrote:
Please help!

I don't understand why any of the 17 directors couldn't be directors of the both Company X and Company Y. What am I missing?

20-17 = 3 doesn't make sense to me.

(1) There were 17 directors present at a joint meeting of the directors of Company K and Company R, and no directors were absent. Together Company K and Company R have 17 directors (total #). Not sufficient to say how many people out of those 17 are directors of both.

(2) Company K has 12 directors and Company R has 8 directors. We know how many directors has each company, but it's still not sufficient to to say how many are directors of both.

(1)+(2) Company K has 12 directors and Company R has 8 directors, which adds up to 12+8=20, since we know that there are total of 17 directors then 20-17=3 people must be directors of both Company K and Company R. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: how-many-people-are-directors-of-both-company-k-and-company-139479.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Re: How many people are directors of both Company K and Company   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2013, 00:28