Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 17:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many people in Town X read neither the World newspaper

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
How many people in Town X read neither the World newspaper [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 02:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:43) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
How many people in Town X read neither the World newspaper nor the Globe newspaper?

(1) Of 2,500 people in Town X, 1,000 read no newspaper
(2) Of the people in Town X, 700 read the Globe only and 600 read the World only.

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E) Statement (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.

I thought the answer would be (A) but it is (E). Can anyone explain it? Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2793
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 945 [1] , given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: set problem [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 04:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
No of people who read newspaper are 2500-1000= 1500

No of people who read either globe or world = 600+700 = 1300

No of people who read news paper but neither world nor globe = 1500-1300

Thus Both are suff if taken toghther but individually not.

IMO its C....OA pls

sjrhee wrote:
How many people in Town X read neither the World newspaper nor the Globe newspaper?

(1) Of 2,500 people in Town X, 1,000 read no newspaper
(2) Of the people in Town X, 700 read the Globe only and 600 read the World only.

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E) Statement (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.

I thought the answer would be (A) but it is (E). Can anyone explain it? Thanks.

_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 171
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: set problem [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 13:18
.......|World|Globe|Total
Yes...|700..|600..|1500
No.....| ..?.. | ..?..|1000
Total..| ..?.. | ..?..|2500

This is the info from both statement. We can't find the answer with these info.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: set problem [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 13:41
They gave the data only about people who read only world newspaper or only globe newspaper, but no data is mentioned about the people who might be reading both. So according to me the answer is "E"
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 177
Location: Streamwood IL
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: set problem [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 17:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
Here is how you solve it.
OP don't assume that town X has only Globe and World newspapers

# of People in town X = T
# of People who don't read newspapers = D
# of People who read a newspaper = T-D
# of people who read only Globe = G
# of people who read only World = W
# of people who read both World and Globe = B
# of people who read neither globe nor world, perhaps they read a third kind called Nonsense Newspaper = N
T-D = G+W+B+N
We need to find out D+N
Statement 1 gives D = 1000 & T=2500
Statement 2 gives G=700 & W=600
We don't know B to solve for N.

Hence answer is E.
_________________

Rock On

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2793
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 945 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: set problem [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 09:53
mbio wrote:
They gave the data only about people who read only world newspaper or only globe newspaper, but no data is mentioned about the people who might be reading both. So according to me the answer is "E"


Yup right I was wrong...silly :)

'E'
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Posts: 31
Location: Moscow, Russia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: set problem [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 15:32
Let N be the number of people who read neither the World newspaper nor the Globe newspaper.
From statement (1) alone we estimate that N is greater or equal to 1000 and less or equal to 2500, i.e. statement (1) alone is not sufficient
From statement (2) alone we cannot estimate the value of N, i.e. statement (2) alone is not sufficient
From BOTH statements TOGETHER we get 200= 2500-1000-700-600 - total number of 4 groups of people; who
(i) read at least one newspaper, but neither the World newspaper nor the Globe newspaper,
(ii) read the World newspaper and at least one newspaper else, but not the Globe newspaper.
(iii) read the Globe newspaper and at least one newspaper else, but not the World newspaper.
(iv) read both Globe and World newspapers
We cannot estimate the number of people in any of these groups without additional data.
So, E is correct.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 17
Schools: University of Warwick
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: set problem [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 03:13
i think this is the best explaination of the question.


atish wrote:
Here is how you solve it.
OP don't assume that town X has only Globe and World newspapers

# of People in town X = T
# of People who don't read newspapers = D
# of People who read a newspaper = T-D
# of people who read only Globe = G
# of people who read only World = W
# of people who read both World and Globe = B
# of people who read neither globe nor world, perhaps they read a third kind called Nonsense Newspaper = N
T-D = G+W+B+N
We need to find out D+N
Statement 1 gives D = 1000 & T=2500
Statement 2 gives G=700 & W=600
We don't know B to solve for N.

Hence answer is E.
Re: set problem   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2009, 03:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Q. How many people in Town X read neither World newspaper sunilgupta 3 27 Jul 2007, 04:23
Are you still reading the other newspaper in town? Did you joemama142000 1 29 Oct 2005, 20:31
Are you still reading the other newspaper in town? Did you ywilfred 11 02 Sep 2005, 05:34
Are you still reading the other newspaper in town? Did you Antmavel 10 22 Mar 2005, 06:27
Are you still reading the other newspaper in town? Did you ninomoi 4 16 Nov 2004, 16:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many people in Town X read neither the World newspaper

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.