Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many prime factors does 1000 has?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 24
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 20:45
I am asking this because I am not sure if we need to count the repeats.
as 1000 = 2^3*5^3, does it have 2 prime factors, i.e. 2 and 5, or 6 prime factors, i.e. 2,2,2,5,5,5?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Freakin' out ain't an option!
Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Posts: 95
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 1

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 21:00
Wrong forum. Please delete the post from here and ost it in the Maths forum.
_________________

My 760 debrief

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [0], given: 165

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 05:06
Expert's post
yufenshi wrote:
I am asking this because I am not sure if we need to count the repeats.
as 1000 = 2^3*5^3, does it have 2 prime factors, i.e. 2 and 5, or 6 prime factors, i.e. 2,2,2,5,5,5?


When you say prime factors of a number, you only need distinct values. So 1000 has only 2 prime factors 2 and 5,
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 24
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 05:58
so both 10 and 1000 would have 2 prime factors then? thanks!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [0], given: 165

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 07:07
Expert's post
yufenshi wrote:
so both 10 and 1000 would have 2 prime factors then? thanks!


Absolutely! They will have different total number of factors but the number of prime factors is the same.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Dream on, till your dream comes true!
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 98
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 09:24
For a number say 2^A*5^B, The prime factors are 2 and 5, the number of factors are given by (A+1)*(B+1)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 161
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 18:16
kyro wrote:
For a number say 2^A*5^B, The prime factors are 2 and 5, the number of factors are given by (A+1)*(B+1)


I didn't get the concept. Could you please elaborate with an example? Thanks in advance!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [2] , given: 165

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 19:19
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Werewolf wrote:
kyro wrote:
For a number say 2^A*5^B, The prime factors are 2 and 5, the number of factors are given by (A+1)*(B+1)


I didn't get the concept. Could you please elaborate with an example? Thanks in advance!


The method of finding the number of factors (also called divisors) is based on the concept of finding the basic factors (which make up all other factors) and then combining them in different ways to make as many different factors as possible.

Let us say the question asks us to find the number of factors of 72.
We know that 72 = 8*9 = 2^3 x 3^2 - This is called prime factorization. We have essentially brought down 72 to its basic factors.
We find that 72 has three 2s and two 3s. We can combine them in various ways e.g. I could take one 2 and two 3s and make 2x3x3 = 18. Similarly, I could take three 2s and no 3 to make 2x2x2 = 8
Since we have three 2s, we can choose a 2 in four ways (take no 2, take one 2, take two 2s or take three 2s)
Since we have two 3s, we can choose a 3 in three ways (take no 3, take one 3 or take two 3s)
Every time we make a different choice, we get a different factor of 72.
Since we can choose 2s in 4 ways and 3s in 3 ways, together we can choose them in 4x3 = 12 ways. Therefore, 72 will have 12 factors.

This is true for any positive integer N.
If N = 36 * 48 = 2^2 * 3^2 * 2^4 * 3 = 2^6 * 3^3.
To make factors of N, we have seven ways to choose a 2 and four ways to choose a 3. Therefore, we can make 7 x 4 = 28 combinations of these prime factors to give 28 factors of 36x48.
Note: I could write 36 x 48 as 72 x 24 or 64 x 27 or 8 x 8 x 27 or many other ways. The answer doesn't change because it is still the same number N.

Generalizing, if N = p^a * q^b * r^c ... where p, q, r are all distinct prime numbers, the total number of factors of N (including 1 and N ) is (a + 1)(b + 1) (c + 1)...
Remember, the '+1' is because of an option of dropping that particular prime number from our factor.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 161
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 19:28
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
kyro wrote:
For a number say 2^A*5^B, The prime factors are 2 and 5, the number of factors are given by (A+1)*(B+1)


I didn't get the concept. Could you please elaborate with an example? Thanks in advance!


The method of finding the number of factors (also called divisors) is based on the concept of finding the basic factors (which make up all other factors) and then combining them in different ways to make as many different factors as possible.

Let us say the question asks us to find the number of factors of 72.
We know that 72 = 8*9 = 2^3 x 3^2 - This is called prime factorization. We have essentially brought down 72 to its basic factors.
We find that 72 has three 2s and two 3s. We can combine them in various ways e.g. I could take one 2 and two 3s and make 2x3x3 = 18. Similarly, I could take three 2s and no 3 to make 2x2x2 = 8
Since we have three 2s, we can choose a 2 in four ways (take no 2, take one 2, take two 2s or take three 2s)
Since we have two 3s, we can choose a 3 in three ways (take no 3, take one 3 or take two 3s)
Every time we make a different choice, we get a different factor of 72.
Since we can choose 2s in 4 ways and 3s in 3 ways, together we can choose them in 4x3 = 12 ways. Therefore, 72 will have 12 factors.

This is true for any positive integer N.
If N = 36 * 48 = 2^2 * 3^2 * 2^4 * 3 = 2^6 * 3^3.
To make factors of N, we have seven ways to choose a 2 and four ways to choose a 3. Therefore, we can make 7 x 4 = 28 combinations of these prime factors to give 28 factors of 36x48.
Note: I could write 36 x 48 as 72 x 24 or 64 x 27 or 8 x 8 x 27 or many other ways. The answer doesn't change because it is still the same number N.

Generalizing, if N = p^a * q^b * r^c ... where p, q, r are all distinct prime numbers, the total number of factors of N (including 1 and N ) is (a + 1)(b + 1) (c + 1)...
Remember, the '+1' is because of an option of dropping that particular prime number from our factor.


That was an awesome explanation! Thank you so much!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 46
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:28
Great explanation Karishma
_________________

When going gets tough, tough gets going.........

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Dream on, till your dream comes true!
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 98
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 10:05
i think that explains it yu :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 35
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 07:27
awesome explanation by VeritasPrepKarishma, thank you so much!!
Re: How many prime factors does 1000 has?   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2011, 07:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
How many prime factors does N have? shivanigs 7 06 Oct 2012, 00:31
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic How many prime factors does 1000 has? yufenshi 11 17 Nov 2010, 20:45
How many prime factors does 1000 has? yufenshi 1 17 Nov 2010, 20:45
How many different prime factors does N have? (1) 2N has 4 ashkg 8 12 Jun 2005, 11:35
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic How many different prime factors does N have? (1) 2N has scorer 4 24 Mar 2005, 13:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many prime factors does 1000 has?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.