Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many questions do you have to practice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8807 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
How many questions do you have to practice? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2003, 15:13
Expert's post
There is a poll this week by one of the members and it asks how many questions one needs to solve in order to feel comfortable.

A few respondents indicated up to 10,000.

I am the one who said less, closer to a thousands.
I just don't think one really needs to solve so many questions, esp since many of them are very similar.

I would love to hear what you think and what your perspectives are on this issue. Do you think you need a few thousand questions to make it?

I will be waiting.
Bogdan.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 May 2003, 01:33
Hi

About a year ago I've heard an oppinion that one needs to practice only about 200 Q to do well on GMAT. I was at the starting point of my preparation then, as a result not very much experienced, but I can remember how happy I was to hear about that fact. :lol:

Next year has shown me that I was far too optimistic. I haven't passed my Test yet, but anyway I tend to believe that the figure must be at least 1 000. May be not so high as 5 or 10 K but still.

I can explain my thoughts. As each of you knows the number of good Q is rather limited. To my endless sorrow the number of good Q with good explanations is even more limited. So in my opinion there is no need to burn good ones when you are getting used to the GMAT format, different types of question etc. In my situation things were even worse. The last time I got in possesion math book had been ten years before I decided to start GMAT "quest", as a result I used lots of questiones just to get used to math again :D

I agree with Bogdan that stategy and mistake analysis not the number of questions must be the key to successful GMAT. If you have less than 1 000 Q, but you are sure about their quality/difficulty and you are generally strong in all the test areas go because you hardly need more :)

Sergei
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How many questions do you have to practice? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2003, 19:35
bb wrote:
There is a poll this week by one of the members and it asks how many questions one needs to solve in order to feel comfortable.

A few respondents indicated up to 10,000.

I am the one who said less, closer to a thousands.
I just don't think one really needs to solve so many questions, esp since many of them are very similar.

I would love to hear what you think and what your perspectives are on this issue. Do you think you need a few thousand questions to make it?

I will be waiting.
Bogdan.

Hi BB
This issue is rather worth discussing with GMAT prospective taker.
Many people believe that the more you do practice question, the better you can do well on this actual test, including me.
Maybe,the proverb-- " Practice makes perfect!"-- could illustrate this phenomenon.
In fact, I am adherent about this belief.
I agree sergei's opinion that the suitable and quality practice question is rarely on current market. I believe anyone only work and practice on their stuff and then do well on GMAT test if having excellent materials.
In this site, I think it could play a role about how to search or where this stuff downloads from, etc.
As for figure, I don't have overall concept about this issue.

Chih-Hao
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 May 2003, 00:34
Agree with Sergei. I have gone through a lot of material (including almost all downloadable tests ) , however, I find that apart from Kaplan, the test questions are really nowhere similar in their attention to detail (correctness, answer explanations, grammar usage, level of hardness) compared to OG. And OG represents the GMAT questions.

Therfore, considering that you would like to have 4 tests from Kaplan, two from OG and couple of more tests (full length) gives you around 650 questions. At least a similar number would be solved by a serious GMAT taker from practice tests (verbal, math practice) - definitely OG questions. So - Yes, 1000 - 1200 odd questions (eliminating double counting :lol: ) would be a nice target.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Repeat questions [#permalink] New post 22 May 2003, 13:37
Hello everyone,

I'm at the beginning of my GMAT quest and am interested in some of the points raised on this thread.

Let me give you a little background. I'm from the UK with an arts degree but I'm also a Chartered Accountant, so I'm exposed to numbers every day. As you can probably appreciate, I'm a lot more worried about the quants section than the verbal.

Firstly;

I'm in the process of getting hold of a number of study resources and am a little confused. I have ordered both Kaplan books but I keep seeing references to "power prep" could someone fill me in on this as it seems to get a favourable response.

Secondly:

I have been looking at the Testmaters site (http://www.testmastersgmat.com/gmat/) and they seem to have some impressive resources, does anyone have any experience of them?

Thirdly;

Also, while studying for my ACA, the best policy always proved to be to practice as many questions as possible, and to repeat them as many times as possible to become attuned to all the variations. Does anyone else have any comments on this ?

Many Thanks

Dean
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8807 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Repeat questions [#permalink] New post 22 May 2003, 22:25
Expert's post
deanovc wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm at the beginning of my GMAT quest and am interested in some of the points raised on this thread.

Let me give you a little background. I'm from the UK with an arts degree but I'm also a Chartered Accountant, so I'm exposed to numbers every day. As you can probably appreciate, I'm a lot more worried about the quants section than the verbal.

Firstly;

I'm in the process of getting hold of a number of study resources and am a little confused. I have ordered both Kaplan books but I keep seeing references to "power prep" could someone fill me in on this as it seems to get a favourable response.

Secondly:

I have been looking at the Testmaters site (http://www.testmastersgmat.com/gmat/) and they seem to have some impressive resources, does anyone have any experience of them?

Thirdly;

Also, while studying for my ACA, the best policy always proved to be to practice as many questions as possible, and to repeat them as many times as possible to become attuned to all the variations. Does anyone else have any comments on this ?

Many Thanks

Dean

PowerPrep is a product released fy GMAC - it is a real simulation of GMAT - it has 2 tests that you can take. Don't waste them though, don't take them now. Here is a link to a discussion on this:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=828&highlight=powerprep

Here is a link to download them:
gmatprep-gmat-prep-powerprep-power-prep-free-tests-77548.html

Here are some general thoughts

-=-=-
Re: Repeat questions   [#permalink] 22 May 2003, 22:25