Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think 8 is too many. It's just that there is a lot of uncertainty in the process when you first apply, so it isn't necessarily a bad idea to cast a wide net. The recommenders typically use a common letter, so the main headache for the recommender is navigating each school's unique and often idiosyncratic recommender form (which often has a small or not so small custom recommendation section). Make life easy for them when possible. If there are paper recs (a few still seem to be around), prep all the envelopes and give them to your recommender. Give your recommenders a list of your schools with the app deadlines. Some will just do all at once, others may do a couple here and there, and for the latter type, you might be able to save them some trouble if you decide not to apply to some of the schools with very late deadlines (e.g., if you've already gotten in to a better program).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
A dozen [#permalink]
Hello everybody!

For various family reasons, I am applying to 12 schools. Thankfully, my recommenders have been gracious and understanding of my situation.

Now that I have already sent 5 apps out, I have been a bit nervous about my prospects. Some days, I think I will fare well, and on other days, I think I will have to say farewell!

At the risk of being very easily identifiable to admissions spies ( ;) ), here is a quick profile:

GMAT: 740/97% (Q 50, V 40) AWA 5.5

Grad: Masters in IT (in 2008), Harvard
GPA to date: 3.74
Program is through continuing ed division.

UG: BA in Economics (1988), Pennsylvania
GPA: 2.65 :(

Experience: 17+ years in technology management primarily in printing and media realms, including 7 years with Disney. Last employment as VP of a software company serving clients such as E!, Fox, Disney.

SOP: My interests are along the border of strategy, technology, and management. So I am applying to IS programs where faculty and curriculum have a strategic/impact leaning, or strategy/policy programs where there is a technology interest.
Interest in applying object-oriented analysis in other realms (strategy, organization). I have developed a generic model over the past 10 years to glue management and technology together.

Research: Currently serving as RA developing a game theory tournament application for use in Harvard courses. Will be using it as a test bed for some of my supervisor's teaching and work. I am adding several tests in there as well.

Recs: 2 from Deans (1 Assoc. who runs the IT program, 1 Asst. who is my research supervisor), another is professional from 9 year colleague/client, another is from course instructor from last year (where I can put more than 3).

Other: current president of student association... Phillips Andover grad... no honors, awards, publications... PhD project participant... Hispanic... some community activism/leadership history (not major)... California native.

Would any of those out there currently in a program care to give feedback on my SOP? Would love to get some perspective and hear your thoughts on my prospects.

Thanks to all and wish me luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't see any weaknesses at all. Any chance of getting something submitted to a journal or presentation at a conference? That is about the only thing that would make your app any stronger.

As long as your essay isn't complete garbage, and letters of rec are not totally negative, you should have your pick of schools.

I am happy I didn't compete against you for my spot! (Although I am in OB, just the same...)

If you already sent out apps, then your SOP is pretty much set. As long as you said the critical things: research, research, research--you should be fine.

Although a couple questions:

(Is your Harvard degree an MA or MS? and any way you can avoid using non-academic references?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Josh,

Thanks for the reply. Here are answers to your questions.

Regarding a submission to a journal or presentation at a conference: Nothing is on the map at this point unless I discover something amazing in the next 2 months in my research project. However, this is extremely unlikely. :)

About the app: I don't think the essay is complete garbage, but I may be a bit biased. I have been told the recommendations are extremely positive. I surrrre hope so!

About your spot: Congrats on getting in. Where are you?

About the SOP: it is all about research, and in particular, about my interest and experience in blending disciplines. I highlighted the length of my work on my OO enterprise model, and other areas where technology practices can be flipped to illuminate management practices. (As opposed to management practices being applied to technology.)
Having a few more schools to go, I was wondering if more tweaking would be necessary or if my vision would be clear enough to those experts in their fields.

About my Harvard degree: As I mentioned, the program is in the continuing education division, not Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or the new School of Engineering. The degree is Master of Liberal Arts. (ALM here.) In the future, this is slated to be more appropriately designated Master of Professional Studies.

About non-academic references: my one non-academic reference was originally going to be a reserve. However, because he covers almost 10 years of my professional background, his perspective on the duration of my interests – spanning to when I first met him – might be enlightening to a faculty committee. In short, my passion for this stuff is far from new.
One school actually instructs applicants to supply a professional reference if out of school for some period of time. A staff person at one very prominent program also suggested this, but because I had such a long professional record.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I look forward to seeing more!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: how many schools do you apply? [#permalink]
Didn't want to start a new topic as I think these questions can be pretty annoying. Anyway, hope someone will comment.

I’m going to be applying to O/B PhD programs this fall. And while I feel as though I’ve got a pretty strong profile and believe I can come up with solid references and a good SOP, I’m worried about how to divide up my applications. I’m trying to limit myself to 8 schools and was thinking 5 in top tier (Berkeley, Northwestern, MIT, Stanford, Chicago), 3 mid tier (Boston College, Wisconsin, Minnesota). I hate to ask this but would anyone care to offer their thoughts on this division based on the information below? It would be much appreciated.

GPA: 3.7ish (small Canadian school) experimental psychology
GRE: 95th verbal, 90th quant, 56th AWA
Research Experience: About 4 years
Publications/Presentations: 1 peer review (second author), 2 internal, 2 presentations (American Sociological Ass), Course Materials
GMAT Club Bot
Re: how many schools do you apply? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts