Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 12

How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 09:03
2
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (03:06) correct 45% (08:59) wrong based on 203 sessions
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9 + ... will form 120 + 121*(3^(1/2))?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 9
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 27

Re: Sequences [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 09:19
2
This post received
KUDOS
divide series in rational and irrational no's since sum of rational is always rational and irrational is always irrational that means in the above series
120=3+9+27+81....4 terms
121*(3^1/2)=(1+3+9+27+81)*(3^1/2).... 5 terms
so ans is 9....E
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 978
Location: Toronto
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 3

Re: Sequences [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 14:46
avenkatesh007 wrote:
divide series in rational and irrational no's since sum of rational is always rational and irrational is always irrational


That's true in this question, but not in general. The sum of two rational numbers is always rational, but the sum of two irrational numbers does not need to be irrational. For example, √2 and 2 - √2 are both irrational, but their sum is 2, a rational number. That's not the kind of thing the GMAT ever tests, however.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: Sequences [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 10:41
I did not understand the above explanation. Can someone please explain?
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23355
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28723 [5] , given: 2821

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.. [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 12:49
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Anasthaesium wrote:
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.... will form 120 + 121*(3^(1/2))?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 9


We have a following sequence: \sqrt{3}, 3, 3\sqrt{3}, 9, ...

Notice that this sequence is a geometric progression with first term equal to \sqrt{3} and common ratio also equal to \sqrt{3}.

The question asks: the sum of how many terms of this sequence adds up to 120+121\sqrt{3}.

The sum of the first n terms of geometric progression is given by: sum=\frac{b*(r^{n}-1)}{r-1}, (where b is the first term, n # of terms and r is a common ratio \neq{1}).

So, \frac{\sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)}{\sqrt{3}-1}=120+121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)=120\sqrt{3}+121*3-120-121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n-\sqrt{3}=243-\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n=243 --> 3^{\frac{1+n}{2}}=3^5 --> \frac{1+n}{2}=5 --> n=9.

Answer: E.

Shortcut solution:
Alternately you can spot that every second term (which also form a geometric progression), 3, 9, 27, ... should add up to 120: \frac{3(3^k-1)}{3-1}=120 --> 3^k-1=80 --> 3^k=81 --> k=4, so the number of terms must be either 2k=8 (if there are equal number of irrational and rational terms) or 2k+1=9 (if # of irrational terms, with \sqrt{3}, is one more than # rational terms), since only 9 is present among options then it must be a correct answers.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23355
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28723 [0], given: 2821

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.. [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 04:54
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5350 [1] , given: 165

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.. [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 21:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Anasthaesium wrote:
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.... will form 120 + 121*(3^(1/2))?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 9



In a series question, it is always a good idea to write the first few terms to figure out what the series looks like:

r = \sqrt{3} + 3 + 3\sqrt{3} + 9 + 9\sqrt{3} + 27 + 27\sqrt{3} + ....

Sum of first 2 terms= 3 + \sqrt{3}
Sum of first 3 terms = 3 + (\sqrt{3} + 3\sqrt{3})
Sum of first 4 terms= (3+9) + 4\sqrt{3}
Sum of first 5 terms = 12 + (4 + 9)\sqrt{3}
etc

You want a sum of 120 + 121\sqrt{3}

You will obtain 120 by adding 3 + 9 + 27 + 81 (4 terms) and 121\sqrt{3} by adding (1 + 3 + 9 + 27 + 81)\sqrt{3} (i.e. 5 terms)

So you need to add a total of 9 terms.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 115
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.. [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 06:26
My method is not very sophisticated and most probably not the best but in some cases it works.
The most crucial part here is to understand the question. Basically we have a sequesnce \sqrt{3}+3+3\sqrt{3}+ .... which is the same as: \sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+....

As it could be seen each time next term is multiplied by \sqrt{3}.

Now the questions asks us to find how many numbers this sequence should consists of in order to be equal of 120 + 121*\sqrt{3}.

What i did, i have just tried to make the calculation easier and tried to simplify the 120 + 121*\sqrt{3}=40*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+121*\sqrt{3}=\sqrt{3}(40\sqrt{3}+121)

Now go back to our sequence, if we take the common \sqrt{3} out of the brackets we have \sqrt{3}(1+\sqrt{3}+3+3\sqrt{3}+9+9\sqrt{3}) ---> \sqrt{3}(13+13\sqrt{3}) This is the sum of 6 terms in the sequence, which is clearly less than \sqrt{3}(40\sqrt{3}+121). We can go and check whether 9 (next possible choice) will fit, but considering that 9 is the only choice left it should be it. The answer is E.
_________________

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23355
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28723 [0], given: 2821

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.. [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 07:42
Expert's post
ziko wrote:
My method is not very sophisticated and most probably not the best but in some cases it works.
The most crucial part here is to understand the question. Basically we have a sequesnce \sqrt{3}+3+3\sqrt{3}+ .... which is the same as: \sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+....

As it could be seen each time next term is multiplied by \sqrt{3}.

Now the questions asks us to find how many numbers this sequence should consists of in order to be equal of 120 + 121*\sqrt{3}.

What i did, i have just tried to make the calculation easier and tried to simplify the 120 + 121*\sqrt{3}=40*\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}+121*\sqrt{3}=\sqrt{3}(40\sqrt{3}+121)

Now go back to our sequence, if we take the common \sqrt{3} out of the brackets we have \sqrt{3}(1+\sqrt{3}+3+3\sqrt{3}+9+9\sqrt{3}) ---> \sqrt{3}(13+13\sqrt{3}) This is the sum of 6 terms in the sequence, which is clearly less than \sqrt{3}(40\sqrt{3}+121). We can go and check whether 9 (next possible choice) will fit, but considering that 9 is the only choice left it should be it. The answer is E.


Please read this post: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628 (ptess m button for formulas).
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.. [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 21:31
Is the original question missing a "+9" in the portion describing the sequence? It was hard to know what the series would with just 3 terms (as the question currently is). For example, if we only know 3^(1/2), 3, 3*3^(1/2), one could interpret that the series is defined as every input starting from the 3rd is the product of the previous 2. Hope this makes sense. Please edit the question stem because I see a +9 in the answer explanations but not the question itself.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23355
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28723 [0], given: 2821

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.. [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 22:18
Expert's post
catalysis wrote:
Is the original question missing a "+9" in the portion describing the sequence? It was hard to know what the series would with just 3 terms (as the question currently is). For example, if we only know 3^(1/2), 3, 3*3^(1/2), one could interpret that the series is defined as every input starting from the 3rd is the product of the previous 2. Hope this makes sense. Please edit the question stem because I see a +9 in the answer explanations but not the question itself.

________
Edited. Thank you.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2014
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 12:01
Bunuel wrote:
Anasthaesium wrote:
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.... will form 120 + 121*(3^(1/2))?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 9


We have a following sequence: \sqrt{3}, 3, 3\sqrt{3}, 9, ...

Notice that this sequence is a geometric progression with first term equal to \sqrt{3} and common ratio also equal to \sqrt{3}.

The question asks: the sum of how many terms of this sequence adds up to 120+121\sqrt{3}.

The sum of the first n terms of geometric progression is given by: sum=\frac{b*(r^{n}-1)}{r-1}, (where b is the first term, n # of terms and r is a common ratio \neq{1}).

So, \frac{\sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)}{\sqrt{3}-1}=120+121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)=120\sqrt{3}+121*3-120-121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n-\sqrt{3}=243-\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n=243 --> 3^{\frac{1+n}{2}}=3^5 --> \frac{1+n}{2}=5 --> n=9.

Answer: E.

Shortcut solution:
Alternately you can spot that every second term (which also form a geometric progression), 3, 9, 27, ... should add up to 120: \frac{3(3^k-1)}{3-1}=120 --> 3^k-1=80 --> 3^k=81 --> k=4, so the number of terms must be either 2k=8 (if there are equal number of irrational and rational terms) or 2k+1=9 (if # of irrational terms, with \sqrt{3}, is one more than # rational terms), since only 9 is present among options then it must be a correct answers.

Hope it's clear.



I got confused on how you got from \frac{\sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)}{\sqrt{3}-1}=120+121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)=120\sqrt{3}+121*3-120-121\sqrt{3} to --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n-\sqrt{3}=243-\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n=243 --> 3^{\frac{1+n}{2}}=3^5 --> \frac{1+n}{2}=5 --> n=9.

So the part after the cross multiplication, can you break it down further for me? Like what happened to the 121 *3 ?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23355
Followers: 3604

Kudos [?]: 28723 [0], given: 2821

Re: How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 12:31
Expert's post
sagnik2422 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Anasthaesium wrote:
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) +.... will form 120 + 121*(3^(1/2))?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 9


We have a following sequence: \sqrt{3}, 3, 3\sqrt{3}, 9, ...

Notice that this sequence is a geometric progression with first term equal to \sqrt{3} and common ratio also equal to \sqrt{3}.

The question asks: the sum of how many terms of this sequence adds up to 120+121\sqrt{3}.

The sum of the first n terms of geometric progression is given by: sum=\frac{b*(r^{n}-1)}{r-1}, (where b is the first term, n # of terms and r is a common ratio \neq{1}).

So, \frac{\sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)}{\sqrt{3}-1}=120+121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)=120\sqrt{3}+121*3-120-121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n-\sqrt{3}=243-\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n=243 --> 3^{\frac{1+n}{2}}=3^5 --> \frac{1+n}{2}=5 --> n=9.

Answer: E.

Shortcut solution:
Alternately you can spot that every second term (which also form a geometric progression), 3, 9, 27, ... should add up to 120: \frac{3(3^k-1)}{3-1}=120 --> 3^k-1=80 --> 3^k=81 --> k=4, so the number of terms must be either 2k=8 (if there are equal number of irrational and rational terms) or 2k+1=9 (if # of irrational terms, with \sqrt{3}, is one more than # rational terms), since only 9 is present among options then it must be a correct answers.

Hope it's clear.



I got confused on how you got from \frac{\sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)}{\sqrt{3}-1}=120+121\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}(\sqrt{3}^n-1)=120\sqrt{3}+121*3-120-121\sqrt{3} to --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n-\sqrt{3}=243-\sqrt{3} --> \sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n=243 --> 3^{\frac{1+n}{2}}=3^5 --> \frac{1+n}{2}=5 --> n=9.

So the part after the cross multiplication, can you break it down further for me? Like what happened to the 121 *3 ?


120\sqrt{3}+121*3-120-121\sqrt{3};
(121*3-120)+(120\sqrt{3}-121\sqrt{3});
243-\sqrt{3}.

\sqrt{3}*\sqrt{3}^n=243;
3^{\frac{1}{2}}*3^{\frac{n}{2}}=3^5;
3^{\frac{1+n}{2}}=3^5;
\frac{1+n}{2}=5;
n=9.

Hope it's clear now.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-01-2014
GPA: 2.95
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 02:10
Anasthaesium wrote:
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9 + ... will form 120 + 121*(3^(1/2))?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 9


Since four of the of the terms are provided and is = 12 +4*3^(1/2) approx 18, A & B eliminated
add 9*3^(1/2) approx 15 so sum approx 33 eliminated
once more and D eliminated , leaving E as the correct answer
How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2014, 02:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic If (10^4 * 3.456789)^8 is written as a single term, how many emmak 6 11 Mar 2013, 22:19
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic r=3^(n+2), then in terms of r, 9^n= 144144 2 19 Feb 2011, 07:47
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Sum of the series 1/(2^1/2+ 1^1/2) + 1/ (2^1/2 + 3^1/2)..... virtualanimosity 6 06 Nov 2009, 14:30
Poll: How many admits will there be from R3? dp122008 4 28 Jan 2009, 12:53
An equilateral triangle that has an area of 9 3^1/2 is TOUGH GUY 4 08 Oct 2006, 09:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many terms of the series r 3^(1/2) + 3 + 3*(3^(1/2)) + 9

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.