Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 15:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many things do you carry to class?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 53

How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:54
So I was wondering how many things (laptop, books, files, case studies, etc) a typical full time MBA student carries to class everyday? Do you need to carry textbooks to class? Case files? It probably varies by school but maybe a current/past student can chime in?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7620 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 20:30
Expert's post
Quite a bit actually but it will all fit into a medium size laptop bag. You do not need a Tumi monstrosity. This may have been partially covered by the numerous laptop/school bag discussions, but on average quite a bit.

1. Laptop
2. Charger
3. At least 1 book but most likely 2
4. Notes
5. Case files/print outs
6. iPad
7. WSJ

What happens most of the time is that you start living out of your bag - you don't want to repack every day/night as you will inevitably forget to bring something it after a midnight study session the night before. Also, the impromptu meetings and free time opportunities often present themselves. This is the part that gets you really. You won't be as bad as a law school student (which often use a wheeled carry on bag, I am serious) who haul case files and dictionaries and other books around.

Many schools will have lockers where you can store stuff but I never found it useful. I preferred to keep all my crap on me.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 07:11
As a student, I only bring important things like the textbooks, notebooks, wallet etc. I think, maybe 10-14 things.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 04:53
When you are studying in an MBA class what you must carry is a fresh mind to grasp and generate quick ideas for linking with the relevancy of the situation and the topic.

Apply for MBA at University Of Tennessee

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [1] , given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
CoralMoore wrote:
When you are studying in an MBA class what you must carry is a fresh mind to grasp and generate quick ideas for linking with the relevancy of the situation and the topic.

yeah that... and a granola bar, or maybe a banana...
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 14:47
CoralMoore wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 66

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 14:54
Expert's post
You guys are ambitious! I used to only bring my notepad, book, pencil case and glasses. I guess you could bring a laptop or tablet, but then you don't need the notepad and pencil. Most important thing is always your mind, though, because if you're distracted by outside factors, you may as well not be in class. As for physical items, I think you can get by with 4 or less, Gangnam supermarket check out style!

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Calgary - Haskayne - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 19:16
I tend to be a bit of a pack rat. I bring my laptop+charger, notes, textbook(s), case printouts, name placard, pens/pencils/calculator, sticky notes, snacks, water or tea, and an extra sweater (our classroom is notoriously freezing cold).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 16:46
How about for part timers? Anyone want to chime in that is going to a part time/ evening MBA program?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 20:39
When I taking classes for my last undergraduate degree I took a micro tape recorder and recorded the lessons. Then I'd listen to the tape and fill in any gaps in my notes. One guy in my calculus class actually set up a video recorder. For Math classes I also took a calculator.

I do not beg for kudos.

Intern
Intern

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 00:04
ra011y wrote:
So I was wondering how many things (laptop, books, files, case studies, etc) a typical full time MBA student carries to class everyday? Do you need to carry textbooks to class? Case files? It probably varies by school but maybe a current/past student can chime in?

Only a pen..lol ;)
Intern
Intern

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 06:34
When I was a student before I only bring notebook, cellphone and my tablet.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 17:30
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 23:06
I carried a full backpack for a while and then realized I was the only one. Most people bring a paper notebook (laptops are forbidden, at least at INSEAD), pens, and the case we're going to be discussing. Most women just tossed this stuff in their purse, most men carried it or had a very small bag for holding it. Brief cases are common, as well, but small and fashionable ones (after all, this is Europe we're talking about)

My #1 recommendation for business school: learn how to speed-read, super-learn, and retain information.

jle.vi/superlearner

Intern
Intern

Re: How many things do you carry to class? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 18:06
I carried quite a few actually.

1. iPad
2. Macbook
3. Notebook
4. Pen
5. Charger.

I used my Macbook for taking note and my iPad was the backup for that. I also used my iPad for recording the lectures. The notebook and pens were simply incase my electronics died or I needed to draw a diagram.

All of these things fit nicely in a mid-sized laptop bag.
Re: How many things do you carry to class?   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2014, 18:06