Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many times can I take the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
The application deadline for the university I wanna go to is April 30th (September 2013 semester start).

I've only just started studying and practicing for the GMAT. I got a severe concussion a bit more than a month ago and couldn't do anything up to now. I'm still not supposed to do anything at all (tv, computer, even reading) but I have to get started otherwise I'll never make it. Thing is I also have my bachelor degree paper to write and I have my uni exams in January so I really need to get going.

How many time can one take the GMAT? I've heard several people say that you can take as many as you want but after 3-4 tries, the school will be suspicious. How so? Do you have to send the scores of all the GMATs you have taken? I would have thought that you simply have to send the best score. Why is it that you have to send all your scores?

I need a 680 score so I might have to take more than one. Also, do you have to wait a certain amount of time between your tries or can you just go back when you want?

I thinking of taking one around the 25th of december, and if it's not good enough, one in february or march, or both.

At the moment, I can only study small periods of time, I have a lot of trouble concentrating. I've only just started working on the math section. I'm thinking that I might be able to take my first GMAT test between the 20th-30th december.

thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 18:42
swissstud wrote:
Why is it that you have to send all your scores?

It is just GMAC's policy I guess. You can't really do much about it so don't worry about it?

swissstud wrote:
Also, do you have to wait a certain amount of time between your tries or can you just go back when you want?

You can take it once every 30 days, or is it 31 days. Around that. 4 or 5 max per year I think.

I don't know if you are aware of this thing called GMAT Prep. It is the closest thing to the real exam and is supposed to get you a real good approximation to the final score.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 05:59
lesliehh wrote:
swissstud wrote:
Why is it that you have to send all your scores?

It is just GMAC's policy I guess. You can't really do much about it so don't worry about it?

swissstud wrote:
Also, do you have to wait a certain amount of time between your tries or can you just go back when you want?

You can take it once every 30 days, or is it 31 days. Around that. 4 or 5 max per year I think.

I don't know if you are aware of this thing called GMAT Prep. It is the closest thing to the real exam and is supposed to get you a real good approximation to the final score.

Thanks for the info!

Gmat prep, is that a specific test or can you find that in any GMAT prep book? I have 3 study books:

-The official guide for GMAT review : the only study guide with more than 800 past GMAT questions - and their answers - by the creators of the test / from the Graduate Management Admission Council
-Cracking the GMAT / Geoff Martz and Adam Robinson (Princeton Review)
-and a french book

I tried to do a diagnostic test in the official guide book, only did math, I hadn't studied for anything, I didn't do too well, after 10-12 questions I stopped, I got about 3 right. I then studied the math theory that was a bit further in the book, learned about all the different terms (intergrer, factor,... I've never done math in english before so some questions I didn't even understand the question). So I reviewed the theory, sets, probabilities, etc... stuff I haven't done in years, just a refresh. Just to give you an example, I'm doing advanced econometrics at uni at the moment, I haven't reviewed my probabilities theory in 2 years. So I reviewed all the math, started doing practice questions again and it's going much better, so far I managed to answer every single one.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 06:05
Intern
Intern

Re: How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 08:05
lesliehh wrote:

Wow thanks a lot!

So do you guys study, do the test, and repeat till test day?

Also, what do you think of my plan? Taking the Gmat in december, one february or march, or both? I need 680 minimum so I might need to take it at least twice.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 20:13
Expert's post
Hi swissstud,

Why would you want to plan multiple GMATs ahead of time?

We recently had a student who took his 4th and final GMAT attempt with great results (finally).

But why force yourself to study so hard/long and sacrifice other parts of your life? I'd recommend doing a full practice test in test-like environments with GMATPrep software in place of an actual test.

Learn from your mistakes here so you can improve on them for the real thing. At least shoot to do well on the first try. Otherwise, you're just planning for failure on the first round.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 11:17
I know there are some schools who will look at your highest section scores. For example, if you took the GMAT twice and scored a (48Q/35V) and then scored a (46Q/36V), they would consider your score as (48Q/36V), but it wouldn't convert to the equivalent total score. I cant remember which school it was. Does any one know if this is standard or only at a few schools?
Intern
Intern

Re: How many times can I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 10:01
gmatpill wrote:
Hi swissstud,

Why would you want to plan multiple GMATs ahead of time?

We recently had a student who took his 4th and final GMAT attempt with great results (finally).

But why force yourself to study so hard/long and sacrifice other parts of your life? I'd recommend doing a full practice test in test-like environments with GMATPrep software in place of an actual test.

Learn from your mistakes here so you can improve on them for the real thing. At least shoot to do well on the first try. Otherwise, you're just planning for failure on the first round.

Hey man!

So you're saying I should just give my all time best the first time and not already plan on taking 3-4 GMAT in advance, even before my 1st one? Yeah that sounds reasonable, plus I barely will have time to do a second one so it's 1 strike and I'm out really.

I'm scheduled my test on the January 10th 2013. The uni I wish to apply to has its application deadline on April 30th, so really, I can only take one test. Might as well give it my best. I have 40 days to study everything.

With my PCS (post concussion syndrome) it's not easy studying but I'm trying to get as much done as I can.

I'm not really following a specific plan. I just opened the official GMAT book (red one) and started studying.

So how should I go about with this?

I've been studying the math sections for quite some time now. Did 230 test questions, got 150 right, now I'm going back and doing the ones I got wrong.

Should I take a practice test online with the official software and then see what I should do?

I seriously don't want to mess this up. I need a 680 score. Anything less and I can't apply.

Cheers
Re: How many times can I take the GMAT?   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2012, 10:01