Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how many ways can 7 children be arranged in a circular table

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 618
Location: PA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
how many ways can 7 children be arranged in a circular table [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 02:36
how many ways can 7 children be arranged in a circular table where 2 chidren must be apart.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2004
Posts: 240
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 08:47
(# of ways 7 children can be arranged around a circular table) - (# of ways the 2 children can be seated together)

# of ways 7 can be arranged in a circular pattern = 6!
# of ways 2 can be seated together = 2.5!

# of ways 2 children cannot be seated together in a circular pattern = 6! - 2.5!.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 11:01
prep_gmat wrote:
(# of ways 7 children can be arranged around a circular table) - (# of ways the 2 children can be seated together)

# of ways 7 can be arranged in a circular pattern = 6!
# of ways 2 can be seated together = 2.5!

# of ways 2 children cannot be seated together in a circular pattern = 6! - 2.5!.


do you multiply by 2 because it is a permutation problem ? otherwise pls explain ! thx
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 19:41
There are two ways to arrange the two boys who sit together, one way is for A to sit left to B, the other is for A to sit right to B.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1128
Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 22:04
prep_gmat wrote:
(# of ways 7 children can be arranged around a circular table) - (# of ways the 2 children can be seated together)

# of ways 7 can be arranged in a circular pattern = 6!
# of ways 2 can be seated together = 2.5!

# of ways 2 children cannot be seated together in a circular pattern = 6! - 2.5!.


Is this the OA ?
Please explain how did you get 2.5!

Thanks
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 23:29
Antmavel wrote:
prep_gmat wrote:
(# of ways 7 children can be arranged around a circular table) - (# of ways the 2 children can be seated together)

# of ways 7 can be arranged in a circular pattern = 6!
# of ways 2 can be seated together = 2.5!

# of ways 2 children cannot be seated together in a circular pattern = 6! - 2.5!.


Is this the OA ?
Please explain how did you get 2.5!

Thanks


take for example a and b as the two children. they sit in the first and second position. next to them there are 5*4*3*1 possible ways to sit the other children. we multiply by 2 because there are even more ways when a and b switch their seats.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1128
Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 00:43
sorry christoph, I am still lost on this one :x I can't figure out the reasonning process :?

first, can you confirm if there are :

5*4*3*1 possible ways to sit the other children (like you've written) ?
or 5*4*3*2*1 possible ways to sit the other children ?

I am not sure I could answer right if I see this kind of questions again at GMAT test :oops:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 00:49
Antmavel wrote:
sorry christoph, I am still lost on this one :x I can't figure out the reasonning process :?

first, can you confirm if there are :

5*4*3*1 possible ways to sit the other children (like you've written) ?
or 5*4*3*2*1 possible ways to sit the other children ?

I am not sure I could answer right if I see this kind of questions again at GMAT test :oops:


oh a typo ! yes 5*4*3*2*1

first scenario: a b 5*4*3*2*1 = 5!
second scenario: b a 5*4*3*2*1 = 5!
=> 2*5!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1128
Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 01:15
:P i got it

i read 2.5! (like 2,5) whereas your solution was 2*5! (2 multiplied by 5!)

:roll: sorry, now i totally understand it. Anyway, thank you for your time and for your explanation christoph, it was nice.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 561
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 04:01
christoph wrote:
Antmavel wrote:
prep_gmat wrote:
(# of ways 7 children can be arranged around a circular table) - (# of ways the 2 children can be seated together)

# of ways 7 can be arranged in a circular pattern = 6!
# of ways 2 can be seated together = 2.5!

# of ways 2 children cannot be seated together in a circular pattern = 6! - 2.5!.


Is this the OA ?
Please explain how did you get 2.5!

Thanks


take for example a and b as the two children. they sit in the first and second position. next to them there are 5*4*3*1 possible ways to sit the other children. we multiply by 2 because there are even more ways when a and b switch their seats.



I'M completely lost here.

Let's say we have seats A-G. i.e. A,B,C,D,E,F,G
then, the no. of ways 2 people can stay together is:

AB, BC, CD, DE, EF, FG, GA (7.2 = 14 ways!)
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 05:05
Arsene_Wenger wrote:
christoph wrote:
Antmavel wrote:
prep_gmat wrote:
(# of ways 7 children can be arranged around a circular table) - (# of ways the 2 children can be seated together)

# of ways 7 can be arranged in a circular pattern = 6!
# of ways 2 can be seated together = 2.5!

# of ways 2 children cannot be seated together in a circular pattern = 6! - 2.5!.


Is this the OA ?
Please explain how did you get 2.5!

Thanks


take for example a and b as the two children. they sit in the first and second position. next to them there are 5*4*3*1 possible ways to sit the other children. we multiply by 2 because there are even more ways when a and b switch their seats.



I'M completely lost here.

Let's say we have seats A-G. i.e. A,B,C,D,E,F,G
then, the no. of ways 2 people can stay together is:

AB, BC, CD, DE, EF, FG, GA (7.2 = 14 ways!)


this is a problem of circular permutation. imagine a circle with 3 seats A B C:

first arrangement is A B C
second is A C B

that is because the circle can be rotated. that is why we use (n-1)! instead of n! for the total ways of arrangements.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Posts: 168
Location: NJ
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 07:09
I completely agree with prep_gmat's soln.

it will be !6 - (2*!5)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2004
Posts: 250
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 15:41
One more for 6!- 5!2
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 910
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 11:18
Please explain 2 * 5!
I don't get it.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 22:50
Folaa3 wrote:
Please explain 2 * 5! I don't get it.


SUPPOSE THE TWO CHILDREN ARE X AND Y AND OTHERS ARE A,B,C,D, AND E.

The following positin is the way two children seat togather:
x-a-b-c-d-e-f-y or y-a-b-c-d-e-f-x.

therefore, the number of ways the children can be arranged: 2(5!).

=6!-2(5!)=480
  [#permalink] 15 Feb 2005, 22:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
How many ways can it be arranged on a shelf? Alchemist1320 8 12 Jul 2011, 01:22
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic 7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we nonameee 15 08 Feb 2011, 04:05
Experts publish their posts in the topic In how many ways can the letters in PRECISION be arranged? jazzyqueen 3 23 Feb 2010, 14:39
In how many ways can the letters of the word ARRANGE be chillpill 5 12 Apr 2006, 19:12
How many way to arrange 5 people around the table if no one qhoc0010 1 27 Dec 2004, 13:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

how many ways can 7 children be arranged in a circular table

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.