Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:16

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 15:32
I'm a little confused about the tests included in the Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011 book. The back of the book clearly states that the Online Companion includes 5 computer-adaptive tests. In the Online Companion site there are 6 Practice Tests listed and a Diagnostic Test. The Diagnostic Test is obviously a linear test. Practice Test 1 is only avaliable in the book, which makes it also a linear test. Practice Tests 2 to 6 are available in the website, so I thought those would be the 5 CATs promised.

However, I just did Practice Test 2 and the questions were grouped, in the quant section the PS questions appeared first and then the DS questions, the same happened in the verbal section. There was no AWA. Then, in the My Scores tab the test I just did is listed as a linear test, and the CATs section contains only 4 Practice Tests (from 3 to 6).

So what kind of test did I do? Are they giving me 4 CATs instead of 5?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 09:47
Expert's post
Hi victorxman,

Sorry for the slow response, I've been away for a bit.

I'm pretty sure there should be 5 CATs, so if practice test 2 looked like that, it's not what I would have expected. However, the material associated with our published books are handled by a different division of Kaplan than the classroom classes I teach, so I'm not as familiar with it as I could be. An email to booksupport@kaplan.com should clear this up, however; PM me if it doesn't.

Thanks for choosing Kaplan!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Society of San Francisco (Affiliate Member), American Society for Quality (Enterprise Member)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 15:36
Are these Kaplan Premier online tests adaptive? Note: the "linear" aspect made it hard to tell. I feel like the scoring was on the low side. Has anyone else felt the same way?

btw, I took a free Kaplan test the other day that was more traditional, and likely scored more appropriately.
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1977

Kudos [?]: 6399 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 20:53
Expert's post
They are adaptive.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IE

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 08:49
scott2013 wrote:
Are these Kaplan Premier online tests adaptive? Note: the "linear" aspect made it hard to tell. I feel like the scoring was on the low side. Has anyone else felt the same way?

btw, I took a free Kaplan test the other day that was more traditional, and likely scored more appropriately.

Yes, even I did the CAT number 2 and scored 670 Q 47 (with 3 questions wrong) verbal 38 (about 10 questions wrong).

The questions were not even mixed. What I mean by that is first 16 were sc questions , then there were about 16 CR questions and rest of them were RC questions.

Moreover, the test was without Essays.

Though I do not know about CAT 3,4,5 and 6.
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1977

Kudos [?]: 6399 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 15:54
Expert's post
czarczar wrote:

Yes, even I did the CAT number 2 and scored 670 Q 47 (with 3 questions wrong) verbal 38 (about 10 questions wrong).

The questions were not even mixed. What I mean by that is first 16 were sc questions , then there were about 16 CR questions and rest of them were RC questions.

Moreover, the test was without Essays.

Though I do not know about CAT 3,4,5 and 6.

Hm... that does sound off. I think this is the question for Eli to straighten out :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IE

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 17:56
Thanks for noticing BB.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

GMAT Tests User
Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 19:35
Expert's post
I believe that the first two CATs are non-adapative and the remaining 4 are. However, I don't know for certain; unfortunately, as a teacher, I don't have the knowledge of the published books that I could. Contact booksupport@kaplan.com to talk to our publishing representatives directly for a more definitive answer. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Eli

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.48
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 20:09
Hi,

I took the free online Kaplan GMAT Diagnostic CAT 1 and scored a 700. This test did not give me a break up of the verbal and quant sections. I had a few questions:-

1) As I want more test practice, how may I get access to the additional online CAT's?
2) How many CD tests are there on The Kaplan Premier 2011 book? Are they CAT enabled?
3) Are the tests that come along with the Kaplan GMAT 2011 CD the same as the ones that are online?

- madzy
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

GMAT Tests User
Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 15:09
Expert's post
madzy wrote:
Hi,

I took the free online Kaplan GMAT Diagnostic CAT 1 and scored a 700. This test did not give me a break up of the verbal and quant sections. I had a few questions:-

1) As I want more test practice, how may I get access to the additional online CAT's?
2) How many CD tests are there on The Kaplan Premier 2011 book? Are they CAT enabled?
3) Are the tests that come along with the Kaplan GMAT 2011 CD the same as the ones that are online?

- madzy

Hi Madzy.

The GMAT CD comes with 6 tests. The first diagnostic, and I think the second as well, are non-adaptive. The remaining four are adaptive. The CD and the online center have the same tests; if you want more Kaplan tests, unfortunately the only ones we offer are those included with our classroom courses, of which the most budget-conscious option is out GMAT On-Demand package.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Eli

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 00:52
Where can I buy kaplan gmat cats only, I dont want the whole study package - can I buy only the cats?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

GMAT Tests User
Re: How many CATs in Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 08:18
Expert's post
yuvrajpratap wrote:
Where can I buy kaplan gmat cats only, I dont want the whole study package - can I buy only the cats?

We don't sell out CATs separately. You can get several CATs on the CD with Kaplan GMAT Premier, or you can purchase Kaplan GMAT On-Demand as the most budget-conscious option for our full course, which includes 9 CATs, workshops, quizzes, and video lessons. Sorry!

Eli

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher

Kaplan Reviews