Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much debt is everyone going to carry?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

How much debt is everyone going to carry? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 10:01
Just wondering..I am looking about 50k..ouch!
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 10:38
off the top of my head - about $80k
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 12:07
You mean like during school, or how much will I accumulate by the time I finish?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 16:25
with interest by the payback time, it can be briefed: a lot :(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 16:35
I think I'll carry the trophy in this category. About $200K - due to a third year in a JD + MBA program.

Everybody can now feel better about their own finances : P
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 17:29
darren1010 wrote:
with interest by the payback time, it can be briefed: a lot :(

What do u mean? Financing the MBA is turning out to be as difficult as the GMAT and the application! Every step has been a hurdle!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 18:41
0 Dollars!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 19:00
$70K Good Times! Though it could be worse.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2007, 20:01
Let's just say that my net worth will go back to just about 0. Although I'll take debt as I don't want to sell my apartment.

L.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2007, 21:07
kharma wrote:
I think I'll carry the trophy in this category. About $200K - due to a third year in a JD + MBA program.

How much of that can you get covered by loans? I recall reading somewhere that the aggregate Stafford Loan limit for grad/professional students is about $118K. Are you taking out additional loans to cover the difference.

Overall, your total debt and first year post grad salary should be about the same.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 06:38
GMATT73 wrote:
kharma wrote:

How much of that can you get covered by loans? I recall reading somewhere that the aggregate Stafford Loan limit for grad/professional students is about $118K. Are you taking out additional loans to cover the difference.

Overall, your total debt and first year post grad salary should be about the same.

I can get all covered by loans - both the school (NU) and private loans only will cover costs including tuition and cost of living. (I'm non-US so no federal loans here)

The debt is definitely something on my mind, but won't be a deterrent for me. I view this as switching one debt for another (mortgage vs. education). Perhaps more naively than others, my reason for doing this program is not solely the expected financial return. It's part of it, but a larger personal reason drives me: getting the full out education I've dreamed of.
Cheesy? Probably :wink:
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 07:00
kharma wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
kharma wrote:

I can get all covered by loans - both the school (NU) and private loans only will cover costs including tuition and cost of living. (I'm non-US so no federal loans here)

The debt is definitely something on my mind, but won't be a deterrent for me. I view this as switching one debt for another (mortgage vs. education). Perhaps more naively than others, my reason for doing this program is not solely the expected financial return. It's part of it, but a larger personal reason drives me: getting the full out education I've dreamed of.

You're referring to the joint Kellogg MBA/ NU JD program, right?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 07:07
GMATT73 wrote:
kharma wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
kharma wrote:

You're referring to the joint Kellogg MBA/ NU JD program, right?

Yep!
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 07:13
Congrats! That's one top gun program. Consider yourself fortunate to be able to wrap up both degrees in three years. The standard par for the course is 4~5.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 07:20
GMATT73 wrote:
Congrats! That's one top gun program. Consider yourself fortunate to be able to wrap up both degrees in three years. The standard par for the course is 4~5.

Thanks - The 3 year acceleration is my only consolation regarding any financial relief right now! :P
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 07:24
kharma wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

Thanks - The 3 year acceleration is my only consolation regarding any financial relief right now! :P

Sorry be so forward but would you mind posting your stats, backgraound etc?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 07:35
Not at all - someone actually asked me to post them on the Kellogg R1/R2 thread somewhere here, but I'll repost:

28 yrs / Female / International
3.5 GPA undergrad / 690 GMAT
Current job: Mergers & Acquisitions in a Fortune 500
Career goals: Still M&A - but using both degrees to better specialize

I was originally waitlisted (R2 applicant) - But I guess my persistence (networking/updates) finally tired admissions...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 10:34
kharma wrote:
Not at all - someone actually asked me to post them on the Kellogg R1/R2 thread somewhere here, but I'll repost:

28 yrs / Female / International
3.5 GPA undergrad / 690 GMAT
Current job: Mergers & Acquisitions in a Fortune 500
Career goals: Still M&A - but using both degrees to better specialize

I was originally waitlisted (R2 applicant) - But I guess my persistence (networking/updates) finally tired admissions...

I know another R1 who got into the JD/MBA program there. Name is Ryan. Say hi to him when you start. He's a nice guy.

Oh and debt: $0

(But that doesnt mean im not paying for it)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 17:21
Another $0
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2007, 17:28
probably 60k debt.