Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much does GMAT split matter for MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

How much does GMAT split matter for MBA? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 21:38
Hi all,

I just sat my GMAT and got a 730, with Q48 (80th percentile) and V42 (96th percentile).

My query is whether or not the split, with a lowish Q percentile, will be prohibitive to my application. Would greatly appreciate some perspective!

I'm targeting top tier MBAs: Harvard first preference. Basic CV below:
- Economics undergrad (3.4 GPA)
- Solid work experience in banking and government, then top tier management consultancy for 3 years who will sponsor the MBA
- Continued community service for last few years

Cheers,

MrPapagorgio
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much does GMAT split matter for MBA? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 06:35
Your Q score is fine!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How much does GMAT split matter for MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 11:32
Hey - you sound a lot like me. I'm a Q48 V44 with a management consultant background. Your split is fine. Many top schools are looking for 80th percentile on both sides, which you have achieved. The strong GMAT box is checked.

Next key is differentiating yourself through applications because there are many of us consultants competing for spots at the top schools.

Congratulations on your excellent GMAT and best of luck in your research/application phase.

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How much does GMAT split matter for MBA? [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 08:46
Quite a few are in your boat – the “explorers”. It’s alright to be an explorer in terms of choosing the path after getting into the MBA program. However, you will be spending $100K+ in the course of your MBA at a top B-school. You need to decide whether exploring is worth that money – just in case you decide to go back to do doing what you are currently.

You like finance and entrepreneurship and you don’t like east coast. School choice becomes pretty simple with this – Stanford, Haas and McCombs. In my opinion, Chicago region is not as great as Austin or west coast for entrepreneurs. My advice would be to talk to current students at your target schools to discover whether it’s a match. Also, consider visiting the schools – this will give you a feel for an MBA.

You have a good GMAT and good undergrad GPA. You need to focus on your essays if you intend to apply.
Let me know if you have specific questions.

www.uberessays.com
Essay reviews by your dream schools’ students
Re: How much does GMAT split matter for MBA?   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2012, 08:46