Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Much does having a J.D. Help My Chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How Much does having a J.D. Help My Chances? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 16:35
First of all, I'm new to the website, so I apologize if this is a common question or anything, but:

How much does having a J.D. help an applicant applying for an MBA program? I don't mean a DUAL mba/j.d. program. I finish law school at the end of this semester, and will be taking the bar in the summer - but after that, I want to apply to an MBA program, though I am not sure which one.

I have no full-time work experience - I graduated from undergrad and went straight to law school. I won't be working when I study for the bar from May-July. I may have some part-time work experience after the Bar, but nothing significant.

I'm guessing I won't really be able to start applying for Fall of 2015 unless there is a spring or summer start for 2015 at some programs.

Anyway, my credentials aren't anything spectacular. In undergrad, I transferred after 2 bad years at a good school (2.6 GPA), then graduated with honors (3.5) at my new school where I was on the Dean's or President's list for 3 out of 4 semesters. I don't know if they'll average those grades together or how that process works, but, if they are averaged together then my GPA is probably only about a 3.15.

My law school GPA is about a 3.3, which is above median but not spectacular. I have not taken the GMAT, but I was about ~95th percentile on my LSAT - the equivalent of 720 or 730 on the GMAT. But I don't know if I can duplicate that kind of performance, so I'll shoot for a 690/700.

So my stats aren't great. Will a J.D. give me a boost? I know that most people who get an MBA with a JD do a joint degree program - but it's too late for me to do that at this point.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: How Much does having a J.D. Help My Chances? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 01:01
Business schools require candidates to have work experience so that candidates can develop some leadership skills at their workplace. So, getting an MBA without work experience is extremely difficult, unless you can highlight some leadership qualities in you during your undergraduate or law school study. Considering your GPA and GMAT score, i think you have a decent chance to get into some good schools. There are a few schools in the UK and US like INSEAD,IE,HEC, Manchester Business School,Rotterdam,Richard Ivey,Schulich,University of Rochester: Simon,Thunderbird which offer spring admissions. The J.D can improve your chances but nothing matters more than leadership experiences to the admissions committees. So try to work for atleast a year and then apply for business schools.

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 538 [0], given: 29

Re: How Much does having a J.D. Help My Chances? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 23:40
Expert's post
Atthedrivein wrote:
First of all, I'm new to the website, so I apologize if this is a common question or anything, but:

How much does having a J.D. help an applicant applying for an MBA program? I don't mean a DUAL mba/j.d. program. I finish law school at the end of this semester, and will be taking the bar in the summer - but after that, I want to apply to an MBA program, though I am not sure which one.

I have no full-time work experience - I graduated from undergrad and went straight to law school. I won't be working when I study for the bar from May-July. I may have some part-time work experience after the Bar, but nothing significant.

I'm guessing I won't really be able to start applying for Fall of 2015 unless there is a spring or summer start for 2015 at some programs.

Anyway, my credentials aren't anything spectacular. In undergrad, I transferred after 2 bad years at a good school (2.6 GPA), then graduated with honors (3.5) at my new school where I was on the Dean's or President's list for 3 out of 4 semesters. I don't know if they'll average those grades together or how that process works, but, if they are averaged together then my GPA is probably only about a 3.15.

My law school GPA is about a 3.3, which is above median but not spectacular. I have not taken the GMAT, but I was about ~95th percentile on my LSAT - the equivalent of 720 or 730 on the GMAT. But I don't know if I can duplicate that kind of performance, so I'll shoot for a 690/700.

So my stats aren't great. Will a J.D. give me a boost? I know that most people who get an MBA with a JD do a joint degree program - but it's too late for me to do that at this point.

I agree. A JD can be a sweet thing to have, but there's no way to get around the work experience requirement.. You gotta go work 2-3 years before applying. I mean by all means take the GMAT and get ready and everything, but basically, you gotta start looking for a job before you think about Bschool in a few years.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Re: How Much does having a J.D. Help My Chances? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 23:56
LSAT and GMAT are fairly different tests. studying LSAT critical reading and reading comp will make you really strong for GMAT reading comp and critical reading. LSAT logic games don't translate to anything. GMAT of course has math component. I'm just saying... don't assume a great score on one leads to a great score on the other.

reference: 168 LSAT and 720 GMAT
Re: How Much does having a J.D. Help My Chances?   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2014, 23:56