Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much does school brand name matter...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 09:36
Just wondering in long term say 10 years after MBA how much difference does it make if you are from Harvard/Stanford vs CBS/Kellogg?

Agreed it all depends on individual person, but just wanted to see anyone had any data/view on this.

Thanks,
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 17:29
This post received
KUDOS
I've really wondered about this question especially with respect to S/H vs. schools below the top 10. My husband and I are both from Los Angeles, own a home here that we would probably lose money on if we had to sell it now, and his career is here. If I got into UCLA with a scholarship and Stanford would it really be worth uprooting my husband/the loss on our house/the lost income for me to go to Stanford over UCLA? And what about Kellogg (my top choice) over UCLA? Trying not to think about it until I know what my options really are, but it's hard not to.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9433 [1] , given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Do not mean to steal your thunder, rather answer your question in a quantifiable way: poll-how-much-does-the-mba-brand-name-matter-to-you-121240.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Premium Member
Re: How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
You have to figure that out. Your situation is a bit differnet (married, own a home, husband has a career there). Do you need to go to Stanford/Kellogg to advance or will Anderson name be enough to get to where you want to be in your career? UCLA isn't a bad school and if you're really worried about rankings why not look to Haas? Regional rankings should be factored in also if you are considering staying in that area. Anderson probably places just as well as Kellogg does locally for you (I would bet)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 10:10
A VP at my company put it into perspective. Coming out of school.. your first job or two... it will matter... but after that... the resume needs to speak for itself. However, realize that the first job you land out of school... may be with a firm that is considered "brand name (goldman, morgan, mck, bain, etc) which of course should help feed the second job.. and so forth. Really depends on the person and their ability/desire to continue to advance their career. I would say HBS/Stanford and Kellogg/CBS after your first job isn't going to be that sizable depending the industry and prior experiences you have.

Best quote -> "What does MBA stand for? May Be Able"

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 19:58
@blg529. Will UCLA provide you with the same type of introductions/exposure to the companies/career that you want to work at/in that Stanford/Kellogg would also provide? This would depend on your desired career path. Of course the name brand is good to have, but if UCLA has connections to large fortune500 that are looking for brand managers (seems like thats what you're looking for), then it might be worth it to stay in LA.

Also, you'd have to weigh your husband's career and your relationship's long-term goals. If he's making heavy money already, its definitely not worth it to uproot/sell house. Of if you plan on having a family, do you want to stay local to LA? if so, do you not mind moving away for school and trying your luck after MBA to move back to LA?

im sure you've already thought about these things tho. hopefully i'm not convoluting things more.
Intern
Intern

Re: How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 20:03
personally, I'd say go with the choice that will produce the highest expected value for income (combined, your husband+you) for the family. But some people will want to weigh "life happiness", whatever that means, into the equation. 'dem crazy people.
Intern
Intern

Re: How much does school brand name matter... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 20:23
i'd go with the top 10 school with 0% scholarship. But if my situation were different (eg. have family, children, income-making spouse, strong ties to community), i might pick top 20 school with 50% scholarship. i guess my answer is that relationships lead to compromise, for better or for worse. NOT AT ALL trying to disparage those in relationships currently. Just that the reality is that those in relationships have a much more delicate situation to balance than I do.
Re: How much does school brand name matter...   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2011, 20:23