Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much does the GMAT change from year to year?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

How much does the GMAT change from year to year? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 12:23
I've been browsing the forum as an outsider for months now, answering questions for fun whenever I'm just sitting around. While it's obviously contingent on many things, my plan is to apply to business school in 5 years. That being said, I plan to take the GMAT in 2 years (at the end of my undergrad or just prior to it).

I was thinking about starting to prepare now. I don't intend to go at it very hard for another year, but I could at least familiarize myself with the structure, questions and format. So I was curious, how much does the GMAT change from year to year? Would it be worth doing practice tests based on the current content, or will that have changed significantly in a two year period?

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing...
...than a long life spent in a miserable way.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [1] , given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How much does the GMAT change from year to year? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 12:40
This post received
KUDOS
While no one can predict that with certainty, there is a very high probability that the test will not change. The last major change was addition of the IR section in June 2012 and even the IR change wasn't really an attack on the core Quant and Verbal sections of the test. Prior to that, the last major change was in 1997 when the duration of the test was reduced a bit.

In short, you may go ahead and start you journey !

Good luck.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: How much does the GMAT change from year to year? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 12:46
jumsumtak wrote:
While no one can predict that with certainty, there is a very high probability that the test will not change. The last major change was addition of the IR section in June 2012 and even the IR change wasn't really an attack on the core Quant and Verbal sections of the test. Prior to that, the last major change was in 1997 when the duration of the test was reduced a bit.

In short, you may go ahead and start you journey !

Good luck.

Great, this is what I was hoping to read. I have been anxious to get started. I have no excuse not to get an 800 now. :-D

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing...
...than a long life spent in a miserable way.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 812 [1] , given: 82

Re: How much does the GMAT change from year to year? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Superabo wrote:
I've been browsing the forum as an outsider for months now, answering questions for fun whenever I'm just sitting around. While it's obviously contingent on many things, my plan is to apply to business school in 5 years. That being said, I plan to take the GMAT in 2 years (at the end of my undergrad or just prior to it).

I was thinking about starting to prepare now. I don't intend to go at it very hard for another year, but I could at least familiarize myself with the structure, questions and format. So I was curious, how much does the GMAT change from year to year? Would it be worth doing practice tests based on the current content, or will that have changed significantly in a two year period?

Hi Superabo,

There is a sound reason that the test will not change significantly any time soon. The reason is that it is a standardized test and the scores are valid for five years. So, if they make a significant change then the new test takers might have an undue advantage/ disadvantage over the previous test takers. You are good to go, anytime you start your prep, All the best !!!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: How much does the GMAT change from year to year?   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2013, 13:01