Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much have I screwed up my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

How much have I screwed up my chances? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 05:09
Hi guys,

To give some background, I took the gmat for the first time a few months back and scored a 680. I decided the score is not enough and prepared for a few more weeks and retook it. Unfortunately, my scored dropped to 650 which was a big schock to me. I studied again and i took the gmat again today but i wasnt feeling well for the last few days and I had to step out a couple of times during the test and couldnt really give it my 100% so I had to cancel my score.

I want to know whether my application (if i apply with a 680) will take a big hit because of this or adcoms will only consider the score the applicant's submit (which is what they say on their website). Any thoughts on this will be very helpful.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: How much have I screwed up my chances? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 11:19
Though you can claim you have scored 680, the last two attempts were not in your favor. If I were you, I would retake the GMAT. Prepare well and crack it. If you get a lower score, you can still apply with 680. But, you will atleast be happy that you gave 100% in the exam. Good luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target School
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Re: How much have I screwed up my chances? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 19:44
naraenks7 wrote:
Hi guys,

To give some background, I took the gmat for the first time a few months back and scored a 680. I decided the score is not enough and prepared for a few more weeks and retook it. Unfortunately, my scored dropped to 650 which was a big schock to me. I studied again and i took the gmat again today but i wasnt feeling well for the last few days and I had to step out a couple of times during the test and couldnt really give it my 100% so I had to cancel my score.

I want to know whether my application (if i apply with a 680) will take a big hit because of this or adcoms will only consider the score the applicant's submit (which is what they say on their website). Any thoughts on this will be very helpful.

Hi,

The concerns that you have regarding your low GMAT can certainly be offset by submitting a good essay and working hard on your application and interviews. Most schools see a combination of all these things to grant an admission.

But saying that, we have to see which schools you are targeting and what are your career goals. We would also have to see the quality of the work done by you in your work experience till now and how the schools that you are targeting will make you reach you future goals. Schools see your application as a complete package. Even a score of 680 would be sufficient for you if you are the right candidate for the school based on your work experience and extra curricular.

You need to get your complete profile evaluation done based on these factors and that would help you to understand about your chances in the targeted schools.

You can visithttp://www.general-ed.com/MBA-essay-analysis to learn more about professional essay evaluation services and http://www.general-ed.com/mba-counseling to see how General Ed can help you with MBA counselling and Application Evaluation.

Please feel free to reach out for further discussion.

Regards,
Neha Singh
http://www.general-ed.com/

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much have I screwed up my chances? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 23:14
Expert's post
Naaaah. Don't worry about it. your 680 is your 680. Don't even try to explain it. It will just bring unnecessary attention to it.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: How much have I screwed up my chances? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 04:05
Hey guys,

I was still not very comfortable with the 680 and I took the GRE and scored Verbal - 158 (77%) and Math - 162 (86%). The sectional scores are better on GRE but the GRE comparison tool from ETS predicts a score of 670. What would be the better score in this case? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much have I screwed up my chances? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 05:45
While a 680 is not ideal, it is also not tragic. All this means is that your margin of error in your application has been used and you have no room to make any more mistakes (or submit anything mediocre). Everything has to be top notch -- including essays, recommendations, resume, interview, etc.

I would use the remaining time focusing on those factors where you can control - which is your application. Aslo, I would considering expanding my list of schools by a one or two -- normally I say apply to between 5 and 6 schools -- in your case I would say definitely 6 schools. Since applying to this many schools takes time, I would start focusing on these and start the process moving forward -- instead of focusing on the negative aspect of a less than ideal GMAT/GRE score.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: How much have I screwed up my chances?   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2012, 05:45