It is great that you are anticipating the needs of the business.
If you want to be honest, you can let your boss know that you have applied to MBA program which will start beginning of March, but that you probably will not know whether you have been accepted until mid-Feb. And you can tell him you will let him know as soon as you find out for sure that you are going to leave the job and head to business school. (Which school operates on this type of schedule by the way?)
I don't think you will be out of a job if you end up not going to business school. But this would allow your boss to start getting a plan in place to replace you in case you leave for business school.
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!
I'm in a bit of a sticky situation - I'm applying for an MBA program with a March 1st (2013) start-date, which is in about 6-7 weeks from now. However, I have not been accepted yet (however I'd say odds are about 70-80% in my favour).
I have not told my boss about my MBA plans yet, and our busy season generally starts around mid-March (and goes until mid-May).
I want to let him know now about my plans, so that he has enough time to find someone to replace me and to start by March 1st. However, I run the risk that if I am not accepted to the school, I'll be out of a job.
I fear that if I wait too long and wait until I am notified of my acceptance, which will probably be around mid-Feb, it will be too late, and 2 weeks notice right before busy season will likely burn all bridges.
Am I right to be thinking this? Anyone with any thoughts on how I should deal with this?
Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog
Marvel Admissions Reviews| Marvel Admissions Discount