Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much money to not go?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which amount below is the LEAST you would accept as payment to NOT attend b-school at all?

• 20% [14]
  • 10% [7]
  • 20% [14]
  • 15% [11]
  • 33% [23]
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

How much money to not go? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 19:40
So in other words, if for some reason someone approached you and said, "Look, I really don't want you to go to b-school.....ever. So I'm going to give you a one-time payment of $______ , all tax-free."

I realize this is a random/stupid question.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: How much money to not go? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2007, 20:24
johnnyx9 wrote:
So in other words, if for some reason someone approached you and said, "Look, I really don't want you to go to b-school.....ever. So I'm going to give you a one-time payment of $______ , all tax-free."

You are missing one option.

THe last option should be .... "I don't need your !@#$ money"
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 06:31
I tried to make the last option "No amount of money" but for some reason it didn't work. This is the first forum I've ever used or been a part of so I'm still figuring out some very basic things. Look, my first emoticon: :!:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 06:48
No money would (at least the amounts you listed).

You should have added 2 more options....

1. $10,000,000

2. No money in the world

I see all of the analysis of earnings of mbas vs non-mbas. I'm going back to school for more than just the money.

I also know that B school is not some life-altering experience that I'll look back on for the rest of my life, but I will enjoy the experience.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 08:25
Interesting, so already there are three people who would turn down a million bucks to go to school.

Yeah, I should have had more options like you said Gmatclb, i'm sure there are some people who would take 2 or 3 mill but no less.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 08:33
Thats very interesting... Do you feel the dividends will be that high? :) But yes, for me as well it is about more than just money, it is about having a job where you do something intellectually stimulating and get some respect.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2007, 09:18
I agree, it's about getting a job where you feel like the people who work above you are actually smarter than you (as opposed to working for boneheads), so it's an intellectual challenge.

But at the same time, a big lump of money up-front would be hard to turn down. Like I'm literally imagining someone walking up to me right now and saying "Here it is a million dollars, you want it or what?" I guess I'd take and then think about law school or something.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 14:46
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you look at the results above, could you say that several people on this forum would pay over a million dollars for an MBA?

I realize most of us don't have that kind of money, but if the respondants above did have a million dollars in their pocket, they would be willing to spend it on an MBA? I think that logic works, right?

If all the top schools colluded could they raise their tuition to like $200,000 a year?

Just food for thought, I don't know...
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2007, 23:19
johnnyx9 wrote:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you look at the results above, could you say that several people on this forum would pay over a million dollars for an MBA?

I realize most of us don't have that kind of money, but if the respondants above did have a million dollars in their pocket, they would be willing to spend it on an MBA? I think that logic works, right?

If all the top schools colluded could they raise their tuition to like $200,000 a year?

Just food for thought, I don't know...

H/S/W could charge $250K, including a $500 application fee and probably notice only a marginal dip in application volume.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: How much money to not go? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2007, 13:07
johnnyx9 wrote:

Where's the "$50" option? :lol:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 39

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 02:33
if this is a serious question and the poster is offered this amount of money

for not attending ...... i say make ur own choice.

for me .........i can make more money myself with a proper education+experience + god's will + persistency

so i d say give me HBS mba and i can make muc h much much more :lol:
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 06:09
I'm sure someone with an HBS MBA could likely make up for that million dollars after school.

But what about someone who goes to Tuck or to Yale or to Marshall. Think about the time value of money, you want a million bucks now, or you want to go to school, pay off loans, and then after four to seven years break even and from there begin earning that million dollars?

I get the whole prestige thing, but I think I'd still take the money and get my prestige another way (law degree maybe?)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2007, 20:09
:lol:

I found this post pretty interesting. So let's make some hypothetic cases like these and give me your choices while waiting for your game over.

1. If you were admitted to a top 7 school without any scholarship and a top 30 school outside G7 group with full tuition waiver, which one would you go?

2. If you were admitted to one of the trio H/S/W without any scholarship and one within G7 with some, say $10k-$20k, which one would you go?

3. If you were admitted to one of top 20 without any scholarship and one within top 20-50 group with full tuition + stipend, which one would you go?

Best of luck while waiting and hope you won't be too difficult to make your final choice in reality :-D
  [#permalink] 27 Feb 2007, 20:09