Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much should I push?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
How much should I push? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 09:45
Hi buddies,

I am at the begining of the final part of my preparation in the quant section. I almost have reviewed very deeply every topic evaluated by the GMAT. My preparation material is basically the Jeff Sackmanns's problems (fundamental and challenge problems), the OG 13th edition, and GMAT Club questions.
However, I have a doubt:

I don't know whether should I focus too much in difficult or very difficult questions (let's say 650+ and 700 level). I don't want to waste my time in questions that I probably won't see in the real GMAT; I would prefer to pay more attention in the Verbal section. For example, when I practice the LAST quant problems of the OG, they are easy for me, except for some of them, but in general not so difficult.

Some time ago, I have read that you don't have to solve every extreme difficult question in the GMAT in order to get a great score. My desired score in quant is 50.

Please, help me with this doubt. Thanks!

MetallicaFan

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 515 [1] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much should I push? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
metallicafan wrote:
Hi buddies,

I am at the begining of the final part of my preparation in the quant section. I almost have reviewed very deeply every topic evaluated by the GMAT. My preparation material is basically the Jeff Sackmanns's problems (fundamental and challenge problems), the OG 13th edition, and GMAT Club questions.
However, I have a doubt:

I don't know whether should I focus too much in difficult or very difficult questions (let's say 650+ and 700 level). I don't want to waste my time in questions that I probably won't see in the real GMAT; I would prefer to pay more attention in the Verbal section. For example, when I practice the LAST quant problems of the OG, they are easy for me, except for some of them, but in general not so difficult.

Some time ago, I have read that you don't have to solve every extreme difficult question in the GMAT in order to get a great score. My desired score in quant is 50.

MetallicaFan

Why do you want a 50 on the Quant? Aren't you more interested in the final score?
If you can score high on the Verbal (40+), you don't have to do so much on the Quant. See the table, according to which it pays off to invest in the Verbal part:

gmat-score-translation-table-121864.html

Good luck!

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much should I push? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 10:53
EvaJager wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
Hi buddies,

However, I have a doubt:

MetallicaFan

Why do you want a 50 on the Quant? Aren't you more interested in the final score?
If you can score high on the Verbal (40+), you don't have to do so much on the Quant. See the table, according to which it pays off to invest in the Verbal part:

Good luck!

Yes, I am very interested in the final score. Actually, I want a 740. In the verbal section, I would like a 42. I am spending more time in the verbal section than in quant, and that's why I would like to reduce more time in my quant preparation to use it in the verbal section.

I want a 50 in order to be sure that I will get that final score. For example, in the case I don't get a great score in verbal, just good, my quant score will save me. :)

What do you think?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 515 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much should I push? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 11:08
metallicafan wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
Hi buddies,

However, I have a doubt:

MetallicaFan

Good luck!

Yes, I am very interested in the final score. Actually, I want a 740. In the verbal section, I would like a 42. I am spending more time in the verbal section than in quant, and that's why I would like to reduce more time in my quant preparation to use it in the verbal section.

I want a 50 in order to be sure that I will get that final score. For example, in the case I don't get a great score in verbal, just good, my quant score will save me. :)

What do you think?

What is your starting point? How are you doing now on each of them, Quant and Verbal, based on some practice tests?
Then, evaluate how much you need to improve, approximately what effort will each need and then decide...sounds simple, no?

I know it's not easy at all.
Doesn't matter what people will tell you, you cannot get away from taking the responsibility and decide for yourself, as you are the person who best knows You :-D

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: How much should I push? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 20:19
Hi there!

I'd say that for the toughest Q questions, example problems aren't really that helpful; at higher difficulty levels, the questions that show up do so in unusual forms, and doing sample problems won't really help you out there. Just make sure that you are familiar with the GMAT's quantitative concepts - if you've got a solid grasp on the basic concepts, and you can figure out which ones are relevant to the particular question that you're working on, you'll be fine.

Best of luck with your GMAT - go for that Q51!

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5037 [0], given: 164

Re: How much should I push? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 20:33
Expert's post
metallicafan wrote:
Hi buddies,

However, I have a doubt:

MetallicaFan

To get a Q50, you should be able to do the 700 - 750 level questions. If you are finding them hard, it means you may not be prepared for Q50. It is true that you don't have to be able to solve each and every high level question to get 50 but you should be able to get most of them at home. The stress during the test might actually make you stumble on things you do understand so if you are aiming for Q50, you have to ensure that you can identify the concept being tested. Mind you, the questions you will get in the actual test will not be the same as those you see in books but they will only be variations of the same concept. If you practice, it will be easier to identify the concept, else you may get into trouble.
Needless to say, work hard in Verbal too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much should I push? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 11:03
Thank you buddies! Your advice is very precious and helpful.
Regards,

MetallicaFan

Re: How much should I push?   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2012, 11:03