Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: How much time should I spend on RC? [#permalink]
Studies:
1) How long have you studied? Probably around ~35 hours so far. I've focused mainly on SC and CR.
2) What materials have you used? Primarily GMATClub question banks and Kaplan books. Honestly, I barely needed the Kaplan materials for verbal. I just focused on running through problems and tracking anything I got wrong in an Excel document. After running dozens of problems, I can get about 90% of the SC and CR problems correct regardless of difficulty. I would like to get this more into the 95% range before the test.
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? Based on the Kaplan test I took, somewhere in the 41-45 area on Verbal and 39-44 on Quant. Clearly Quant is where I would like to improve. I will say that I can get most concepts quickly. I plan on spending 12-15 hours a week for the next six weeks strictly running through Manhattan prep books, practice problems, and practice tests.

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

WE:
- Three and a half years consulting in a Big 4 specialty tax group (international tax, multistate tax, transfer pricing, etc.) at large east coast practice (NYC, DC, Boston, etc)

GMAT: Projected, 710-730

Certifications:
- CPA

Education:
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude from liberal arts school in a small western state (think Montana, Wyoming, Idaho).
- Cumulative GPA is 3.92.
- Double major in accounting and political economy; double minor in philosophy and natural sciences.

Awards:
- (Big 4 firm) intern case study competition team leader for winning group.
- Outstanding chapter growth (recruitment chair for my fraternity).
- Dean's List (x8).
- 1st place in ethics and professionalism (Business Professionals of America).
- Two years in a row, I won a competitive scholarship that is awarded to the top student in the liberal arts majors (history, political economy, philosophy, etc.).
- Awarded top accounting student by business department.
- Awarded highest academic honors bestowed by the college (above Summa Cum Laude). Five seniors out of a 250 student graduating class were given the award.
- Awarded honors in political economy (first student in over a decade).

Extracurriculars (College):
- President of ENACTUS.
- Director of Intramurals.
- Chairman of Senate Outreach Committee (philanthropy) for the student senate.
- Student senator
- Served as the recruitment chair, philanthropy chair, new member education chair, and alumni chair for my fraternity;
- Bassist for jazz combo (all four years)
- Rugby club for two-years (hurt my shoulder and had to give up playing).
- JDRF Volunteer
- Selected as Chief Justice of my college's Mock Supreme Court

* Also, as the Chairman for Senate Outreach Committee, I put on a community 5k for cancer research.

Extracurriculars (post-college):

- Pro-bono tax consulting for underprivileged community members
- Pro-bono music instructor at local middle school

Interests:
- Skiing
- Outdoors
- Both listening and playing jazz
- Reading

Target Schools (in order of interest):
- Tuck*
- Duke*
- Stanford*
- University of Chicago*
- Harvard
- CBS
- University of Michigan*
- University of Virginia
- Cornell

I realize I will have to narrow down this list. My plan is to apply to five schools - marked with * - during R1 and apply to three or four more in R2 if I am not satisfied with the results.

Miscellaneous:
- Neither of my parents graduated from a 4-year college.
- Graduated from a performing arts high school where I studied under a grammy award winning bassist.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How much time should I spend on RC? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi StoicBread,

Since you're in the early phase of your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd still like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
How much time should I spend on RC? [#permalink]
Since you're in the early phase of your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from https://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

That makes sense. I will do that as soon as possible.

I'd still like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
Probably March.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
I haven't decided whether I will be applying for the 2020 class or the 2021 class. It depends on a myriad of factors, but either way, I would like to get the GMAT done this year so I don't have to worry about it.

I've budgeted around 200 hours total to study. I figure that will be enough for a solid score if I use the time correctly.
GMAT Club Bot
How much time should I spend on RC? [#permalink]