Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much weight did you gain/lose over application season?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
I friggin' gained 20 pounds over the 6 months I labored over my applications, because of all the stress and lack of sleep and unhealthy eating habits, and whatnot. The holidays didn't help, either. Now I need to lose them before interviews start, if I get any interviews, that is.

How much weight did you gain/lose?

Respect my Authoritaaah!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Ha. I was wondering about this too.

I was convinced I had gained a significant amount of weight during the last couple of months of applications - though, mind you, I am petite so "significant" really means something like 5+ pounds. I've hit the gym maybe once a week during this time, though I'd hazard less, and I snack heavily when I am writing essays.

Turns out I haven't gained much at all. Maybe a couple of pounds? Not more than I would during a normal winter, anyway. No doubt my mother would have commented otherwise.

My guess is that all these nights staying in my apartment working on apps has resulted in far fewer dinners out on the town, and though I quickly blasted through my only bag or two of chips, I've barely left the apartment to buy groceries. It's been a lot of three-minute Thai Kitchen soups and microwave popcorn for me! Not exactly healthy but they won't fatten ya up either.

On a related note, all this staying in has actually helped me save a significant portion of the awful $1500+ in application fees I've spent. No shopping, restaurant dinners, beer tastings, vacation. And I'm frugal to begin with.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 12:45
I'm with Aenigma in terms of not spending $$/time on dinners out, drinks etc. I have been an anti-social hermit for the past 3 months and it has ended up with me actually losing weight and it taking only 1 drink to feel anything. Should be interesting when I emerge back into my social life again :shock:
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 13:05
i think i've lost 2 lbs so far... i've been trying to hit the gym at least 3x a week, although some weeks it was 0, and some weeks it was 5x.

GMAT Debrief

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 13:26
I can't wait to get back to my running routine after my last app~ I didn't gain much weight, but I think my muscles are all turning into fat now...I got sick twice during the past six months, I think the stress is really compromising my immune system!

Never give up your dreams!
http://dreamchasermbajourney.blogspot.com/

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 14:38
Same here. Once all my R2 apps are in, I will be hitting the weights and treadmills 3x a week to make up for the downtime
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 15:22
Expert's post
I think it's normal to gain some weight during the "winter hibernation" period, since we work out less. I usually get about 5 pounds during the winter and lose it off in the summer.

Diversity

Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 17:56
I've gained at least 15-20 pounds since I started this whole process. Mostly due to the more frequent eating out as opposed to cooking for convenience. Hopefully I can lose that weight before going back to school and start saving the money I was spending while going out to eat!

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 18:23
I put on about 15 lbs. over the course of my 2-year application process. Working on being disciplined and getting some of it off now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 19:02
I guess, I belong to the few who do not gain any weight.

Despite the tedious application process, I have managed to hit gym regularly( like 5 times a week on an average)

Cheers,

Unplugged
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 21:26
i gained a few pounds thanks to all my unhealthy eating habits. havent hit the gym in like 4 months.

so my new year resolution is to get back into my old pants.
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 22:07
Thankfully didn't gain any weight even though in the past 2 months i went from going working out 4-5 times a week to maybe 1-2. I consciously cut down my food intake, but it's still tough to predict how things will turn out.

That said, I also feel like much of my muscle has turned to flab. it's a sad state, but starting next week, things will be looking up.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
gained 10 due to not cooking when i come home and not going to the gym. i'm ready to take my life back this week, going grocery shopping today!

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WL), Booth (WL), Kellogg (WL), Ross (ding)
WE 1: public accounting

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 08:17
Didn't gain any, but that's because I was going to the gym religiously - helped me take the stress off and clear my head. And I tried to munch on the healthier stuff while writing essays - I know I can get really bad with that
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 11:58
Uhhh great weight gain..... something to look forward to..... I haven't noticed anything yet, then again I am in the very early phase of prepping for the GMAT. I suppose time will tell...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 13:46
I thought I was alone over here... I've gained probably 10 pounds, haven't gone to the gym in 7 weeks and I desperately look forward for application season to be over (with R3 berkeley). Until now, I hate my mba.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 15:55
So do ppl normally gain weight when they start the program? Is it like the "freshman 15" thing from UG? I can't imagine I'll be eating as much good food since I'll be on a tighter budget, but I guess cheaper does not always equate to less food... (i.e. McFatty's)
Current Student

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 16:07
jankynoname wrote:
So do ppl normally gain weight when they start the program? Is it like the "freshman 15" thing from UG? I can't imagine I'll be eating as much good food since I'll be on a tighter budget, but I guess cheaper does not always equate to less food... (i.e. McFatty's)

I saw a lot of free junk food that b-school students fought over during my visits....so ya, i think freshman 15 is definitely possible

Never give up your dreams!
http://dreamchasermbajourney.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS (interview)
WE 1: Product Management
WE 2: Software Engineer

Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 20:38
Before I started my apps I ran almost every day. I completely stopped for about 4 months but also was too busy to eat and drank way too much coffee. Lost about 10 pounds. Crazy
Re: How much weight did you gain/lose over application season?   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2010, 20:38