Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much work do you show when doing a problem?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
How much work do you show when doing a problem? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 19:35
I find that most of my careless errors happen when I take mental short cuts to save time. Stupid mistakes such as 750/3 = 150 by doing mentally or not reading that I need to solve for n+10 and solved for N instead and picked that as my answer.

How much work do you show and how do you decrease silly mistakes under a timed environment?

How do you check your work, and how much time do you take doing so?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How much work do you show when doing a problem? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 05:51
socalmike wrote:
I find that most of my careless errors happen when I take mental short cuts to save time. Stupid mistakes such as 750/3 = 150 by doing mentally or not reading that I need to solve for n+10 and solved for N instead and picked that as my answer.

How much work do you show and how do you decrease silly mistakes under a timed environment?
i try to show anything involving a variable - at least write the equation down so i have a reference. to reduce silly mistakes you just gotta keep doing problems to get better at not making them really.

How do you check your work, and how much time do you take doing so?

i try to make sure my calculations are correct and when i reach the same answer as the problem i usually just select it.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How much work do you show when doing a problem? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 06:40
Expert's post
You don't have to write down absolutely everything. However, as my high school Algebra II teacher always advised, "The more you write down, the less room you leave for mistakes."

There are three main benefits to showing your work. One is that you can backtrack in case you notice that something is wrong later on. Isolating an error is much easier this way. Otherwise, you would probably have to start from the beginning and re-read the question.

Another advantage is that your mind is clear and focused on the question. In a sense, writing down every step serves as a confirmation that you know what you're doing. Another benefit, related to the first, is that you place yourself in an active mind frame. Simply assuming something is passive, and that will get you into trouble during the GMAT. The test, whether in DS or CR, lays traps for you to passively assume things. Never assume anything on the GMAT.

If you're worried about timing issues, then it's all the more important to start practicing by showing your work now. You have plenty of opportunity with the OG and GMATPrep. Overtime, you will gain speed to the point that it won't present a problem on test day.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How much work do you show when doing a problem? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 07:28
you should also know your "multiplication tables" - like try to AT LEAST do single digit multiplications in your head instead of writing them down - it helps a lot. You can also try 2 digit X 1 digit multiplication as well to save time.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: How much work do you show when doing a problem? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 10:21
I face this problem too , since I have a compulsive habit of arriving at the answer rather than relying on elimination of choices and this is eating up my time for each question.
Re: How much work do you show when doing a problem?   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2011, 10:21