Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How often do you take your laptop to school/class??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 16:14
I keep seeing portability as a major consideration, but unless you're looking into 7-8lb laptops, I'm not understanding why this is so high? In the classes I've sat in, at least 70% of the attendees didn't have computers on them, hell, most weren't even taking notes. I would assume you bring it if there's something you feel you have to do before making it back home or if you're headed to a study group session?

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [2] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
2012dreams wrote:
I keep seeing portability as a major consideration, but unless you're looking into 7-8lb laptops, I'm not understanding why this is so high? In the classes I've sat in, at least 70% of the attendees didn't have computers on them, hell, most weren't even taking notes. I would assume you bring it if there's something you feel you have to do before making it back home or if you're headed to a study group session?

That would depend on your own preference and needs.

For example, I carry the laptop in my bag at all times, whether I take it out in class to use it or not. In some classes, professors prefer not to see laptops out because it is more discussion and participation based and note-taking and other activities are not necessary. In other cases, I find the laptop distracting so I choose not to use it.

Then there are classes where I use the laptop to take notes. I used to like taking notes on paper but I realized that if I take the notes on Google Doc or Microsoft Office, I can transfer them to other electronic devices and access them (iPod Touch for example).

Some people use the laptop 90% of the time and others don't use much at all. This has to do with the user's preference, and in some cases people leave behind the laptop because it's too clunky to carry it around. Even when the laptop is only 5.5lb, it feels like 7+ lb when you have AC Adapter in the bag with the laptop.

But in most cases, people carry a laptop or other mobile devices to stay connected (and to do some school work). Portability is an issue only if you like to travel light or if you are female, you carry 2+ bags to class. Many people also use school issued laptops which tend to weight around 5.5lb. They do just fine.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 02:51
My laptop comes EVERYWHERE with me. I might not use it in a lot of classes, but I used it every single day when I'm in study groups, working on assignments, doing recruiting research, just killing 5 min by surfing the web, etc.

I went with the 3lb laptop and it was definitively the smart move. I've often walked to school and thought I left my laptop behind because it's so light.

RF

Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 08:07
Related question -- how often are you able to access an outlet when you're using your laptop outside of class? I realize this differs by school and location on/off campus, flexibility of study partners, etc., etc. but I was just looking to get a realistic idea of how often you're plugged and how often you end up needing to use your battery.

I like my current laptop and it's less than 5 lbs with battery and charger, but I only get about 60-70 minutes to a charge (terrible, obviously)... Not opposed to getting a new one but I like everything about my current one, save the battery life.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 08:43
coakleym wrote:
Related question -- how often are you able to access an outlet when you're using your laptop outside of class? I realize this differs by school and location on/off campus, flexibility of study partners, etc., etc. but I was just looking to get a realistic idea of how often you're plugged and how often you end up needing to use your battery.

I like my current laptop and it's less than 5 lbs with battery and charger, but I only get about 60-70 minutes to a charge (terrible, obviously)... Not opposed to getting a new one but I like everything about my current one, save the battery life.

At most bschools (especially the ones with newer buildings), you should have an outlet in front of you to charge laptop in class. Therefore, if you have a laptop with relatively short battery life, you can charge it in class and use it outside the class on battery. Outside the classroom, there aren't that many outlets unless you go to the library, lounge, computer room, study halls, cafeterias, etc. That's why a lot of us stress portability and long battery life as key features when purchasing a laptop because they do matter when it comes to practicality, compared to extra processing power, and etc. But you don't necessarily have t buy a new laptop in bschool. You can go with your current one and see how it affects your day to day activities. If you realize that you are going to need a new one, it's never too late to buy one after you start school in the Fall.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 20:15
coakleym wrote:

I guess I've never looked at the price of new batteries, but wouldn't that solve your problem rather inexpensively?

Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 08:17
I only briefly looked into getting a battery for my laptop on the manufacturer's website but the impression I got was that I already had the highest capacity "manufacturer-supported" battery. And it's always only gotten 60-70 minutes to charge. But perhaps if it's an issue in the fall, I can dig around on Google for more information about off-brand laptop batteries.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Yep! Many laptops support an extra battery pack on the main joint. Although they may not be made by the same manufacturer as the laptop, they can often work just as well

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, MIT
WE 1: 1600 GRE
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class?? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 21:23
Most importantly, how do you subtly watch the World Cup during class using said laptop? I perfected that one today.
Re: How often do you take your laptop to school/class??   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2010, 21:23