Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Recruiting Works?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
How Recruiting Works? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 05:48
I was talking to a friend that goes to Stern this weekend and he told me that when you show up at various functions like corporate sponsored dinners, guest speakers, club events etc... that your attendance is noted and then when it comes time for interviewing, students are granted interviews partially based on their attendance records at relevant events.

Have you guys heard of this? I always assumed the schools would just hand recruiters a stack of resumes and let the companies choose who to interview, but it sounds like the school may have a say in endorsing some students more than others.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 05:51
I've heard that:

a) You can be invited to interview by the recruiter based on your resume.
b) You can bid for interviews to which you were not invited, pretty much in the same way as you bid for classes.

I did not know about counting functions, etc., but it makes sense to everyone to have interested candidates attending interviews.

Cheers. L.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 06:33
My friend from GSB told me about the company sponsored dinners etc. He described it as the first step in the recruiting process: at these informal events you may make usefull connections, sort of stand out in the crowd and attract the attention of the potential employers. He did not mention any "visit counting" though...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 06:37
Interesting about the bidding system, I hadn't heard of that either.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 06:39
helg wrote:
My friend from GSB told me about the company sponsored dinners etc. He described it as the first step in the recruiting process: at these informal events you may make usefull connections, sort of stand out in the crowd and attract the attention of the potential employers. He did not mention any "visit counting" though...

I've heard this too, but what do you do when one of the popular employers do a presentation and half the class shows up? I heard that that happens when Mck or Bain come to campus. How do they do dinners and have informal networking opportunities?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 06:45
dukes wrote:
helg wrote:
My friend from GSB told me about the company sponsored dinners etc. He described it as the first step in the recruiting process: at these informal events you may make usefull connections, sort of stand out in the crowd and attract the attention of the potential employers. He did not mention any "visit counting" though...

I've heard this too, but what do you do when one of the popular employers do a presentation and half the class shows up? I heard that that happens when Mck or Bain come to campus. How do they do dinners and have informal networking opportunities?


I had the same question. Well, isn't consulting all about creativity? :) But I repeat, it is just the first (and facultative) step in the recruiting process. I guess even if you shake hands and exchange a couple of phrases with a VP of BSG at the reception - it's nice, it may help you later, but it does not give you a direct access there...
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 06:53
In the interest of consolidating threads, I wanted to ask another recruiting question.

Many of us are interested in working for large companies - finance, consulting, product management, etc. And many of these companies recruit at all the top schools. But do these companies recruit for all functions at all schools? Or might a company recruit for only one function at a particular school?

For example, I am interested in working for Citigroup in their community reinvestment division. Citi recruits at every school I looked at, but would they necessarily be recruiting for the positions I am interested in? Or will it only be the more traditional finance jobs? What if you want to do finance at a consumer products company? Will that company only be recruiting for the marketing positions, or would they also look at finance applicants?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 07:27
aaudetat wrote:
In the interest of consolidating threads, I wanted to ask another recruiting question.

Many of us are interested in working for large companies - finance, consulting, product management, etc. And many of these companies recruit at all the top schools. But do these companies recruit for all functions at all schools? Or might a company recruit for only one function at a particular school?

For example, I am interested in working for Citigroup in their community reinvestment division. Citi recruits at every school I looked at, but would they necessarily be recruiting for the positions I am interested in? Or will it only be the more traditional finance jobs? What if you want to do finance at a consumer products company? Will that company only be recruiting for the marketing positions, or would they also look at finance applicants?


Citi is a huge group, so I'm pretty confident they would not be focusing each search on a particular job. I assume they would try to recruit a pool of MBAs from all over the place and then work on who gets to go where, etc. (based on candidates interests and their assessments of candidates fit to each position).

When "corporate" (I mean not consulting, not Finance) companies recruit MBAs, they are usually thinking on recruiting future managers, and not so much people to fill in a particular position right away. Most companies will place MBAs in some sort of development program, probably with some pre-scheduled rotations, etc. I'm not sure whether it's this way with Citi, though, or if you'd just head to a division and work your way up from there.

Hope it helps. L.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 727
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 09:45
They are not going to recruit everywhere. I know for example Fidelity Investments for equities analyst will take a resume from pretty much any MBA but they have a select list of schools they "regularly recruit from" and they interview and host functions only at those schools. Duke, Chicago, MIT, Harvard, UNC, UCLA, UT, and a few others. I would imagine that Citigroup draws from a larger pool of schools, but still I am sure they don't go absolutely everywhere for every job.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 10:37
Do you know if recruiters do recruiting events by cluster? I've heard that happens at HBS, but I wonder if thats a common way for people to network even with the most popular employers.
  [#permalink] 19 Feb 2007, 10:37
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 MAcc Job Recruiting Process - How does it work? shivenshiven 11 08 Feb 2014, 20:24
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic How Do Firms Recruit for Interns? Byau 8 08 Nov 2012, 19:04
27 How's recruiting at the M7s? fluidian 23 15 Jan 2009, 23:47
5 How's this color suit for recruiting gmatclb 11 13 Oct 2008, 11:20
Recruiting - How Does It Work johnnyx9 1 04 May 2007, 06:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How Recruiting Works?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.