Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How's recruiting at the M7s?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: How's recruiting at the M7s? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 17:52
ncprasad wrote:
I dont go to an M7, so my opinion may not count for much on this thread.

Recruiting is very tough for anyone who is even slightly unfocused in his/her efforts. This is true in any year, but this year the process is going to be brutal on anyone who has NOT done research/networking from day 1 of B-school. In other words, in previos years you could change your mind 3 times during the 1st year and still end up with an offer you want. Now, unless you were able to determine a career focus and do whats required for that career from almost day 1 of B-school, a tough time awaits you.

Consulting and IB has been hit badly, but that is hardly a secret and no school needs to cover this up by "instructing" its students. International students are affected mainly by the visa situation, but thats got nothing to do with the economy. Loans are a big problem, but that again has nothing to do with which company recruits on-campus. The situation is bad, but not insurmountable and people need to work harder this year than before. But, I dont subscribe to the conspiracy theory. We dont live in a bubble...Believe me, most people here at Ross dont have that attitude.

- From someone who just landed his 1st offer in the 1st week of school after the break.

Great insight ncp! and congrats on your offer :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How's recruiting at the M7s? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 17:53
congrats ncp!

ncprasad wrote:
I dont go to an M7, so my opinion may not count for much on this thread.

Recruiting is very tough for anyone who is even slightly unfocused in his/her efforts. This is true in any year, but this year the process is going to be brutal on anyone who has NOT done research/networking from day 1 of B-school. In other words, in previos years you could change your mind 3 times during the 1st year and still end up with an offer you want. Now, unless you were able to determine a career focus and do whats required for that career from almost day 1 of B-school, a tough time awaits you.

Consulting and IB has been hit badly, but that is hardly a secret and no school needs to cover this up by "instructing" its students. International students are affected mainly by the visa situation, but thats got nothing to do with the economy. Loans are a big problem, but that again has nothing to do with which company recruits on-campus. The situation is bad, but not insurmountable and people need to work harder this year than before. But, I dont subscribe to the conspiracy theory. We dont live in a bubble...Believe me, most people here at Ross dont have that attitude.

- From someone who just landed his 1st offer in the 1st week of school after the break.

Traffic never sleeps...

3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [3] , given: 781

Re: How's recruiting at the M7s? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 18:35
This post received
KUDOS
There are always different ways of voicing disagreement, the best amongst which is to make your point without insulting others. Let your opinions stand the test of reason.

If we want to polarize this community, it is very easy. Some of you have already displayed great new ways of doing so in this thread. I congratulate you for your fine people humiliation skills. But you will destroy everything that a lot of people put so much effort into.

We either help each other no matter what or we don't. If you have a problem with anyone on this forum, you have a problem with me. Come yell at me. Let me help you the next time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How's recruiting at the M7s? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2009, 10:50
A snippet from an email from career services, from last year (when I was a first year).

Quote:
The data demonstrate that 80% of first years (up from last year’s 76%) and 86% of second years (up from last year’s 80%) have accepted offers they describe as “first choice.”

Recruiting really is not *that* bad.
Re: How's recruiting at the M7s?   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2009, 10:50