Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Send PM
Re: How's recruiting at the M7s? [#permalink]
Kudos
I just wanted to shed light on the fact that news coming from current students or admitted students regarding recruiting should be taken with a grain of salt. These people have significant amounts of money and time invested in their process -- they are not going to talk bad about it, they will just make the best of what they can. Everyone loves to talk about their success stories, noone likes to talk about their (or their schools) downsides or failures. You won't see anyone posting on here about certain companies/banks are barely recruiting, not giving out offers, etc. You'll only hear about the handful of offers that were given out.

Tell me -- when was the last time you heard ANY school or ANY current student tell a prospective "Maybe you shouldn't come here this year, things are not looking good for IB/MC recruitment and you probably won't get one of those jobs?" The answer: Pretty much never. Although this is a reality for many students, the schools and current students will never say anything like this. They want your money.

I liked this post from BW earlier and I heavily agree with it:

The fact of the matter is that people are scared of any information that tells them that they need to re-examine their reasons for an MBA. This is because people here have spent too much effort and time in applying through this lengthy process and now believe that MBA is their ticket to superstardom (or whatever it is they hope to get out of b-school). A lot of people have probably already made up their minds about leaving their jobs and now secretly give the bird to all the annoying coworkers. They dont want anyone pissing all over their dreams with some baloney about recruiting data!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Kudos
The point is that those who apply now will be recruiting in 2010/11 for full-time positions.

In a sense, the less people get hired today, the easier it will be for '11ers later on. While the psychological mechanism agold outlined is certainly true to some extent, I don't think an admitted student should be too worried right now (most current students neither).

Also: this is OT, but while I agree as to agold's initial remarks were a bit too assuming, PleaseSleep, your reply was certainly more of a personal attack and a most ungraceful one at that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
The point is that those who apply now will be recruiting in 2010/11 for full-time positions.

In a sense, the less people get hired today, the easier it will be for '11ers later on.

I like this positive viewpoint and it seems logicial too me. I'm going to choose to believe this. Done.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

In a sense, the less people get hired today, the easier it will be for '11ers later on. While the psychological mechanism agold outlined is certainly true to some extent, I don't think an admitted student should be too worried right now (most current students neither).

Nicely put paradosso. I agree.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Paradosso wrote:

In a sense, the less people get hired today, the easier it will be for '11ers later on.

I like this positive viewpoint and it seems logicial too me. I'm going to choose to believe this. Done.

:lol:

Agold has nothing personal about his post, but is wanting to remind everyone to keep their eyes open, and saying not to eat up everything that the schools and current students feed you. Do your own research and confirm it with their numbers the best you can. (Confirming will be hard to do, because you will be trusting the schools data). +1 kudos :lol:

Originally posted by 89nk on 16 Jan 2009, 12:47.
Last edited by 89nk on 16 Jan 2009, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
AC wrote:
Quote:

In a sense, the less people get hired today, the easier it will be for '11ers later on. While the psychological mechanism agold outlined is certainly true to some extent, I don't think

Nicely put paradosso. I agree.

the psychological mechanism agold outlined is certainly true to some extent, I don't think an admitted student should be too worried right now (most current students neither).

It still is scary. We will be applying to internship positions in less than a years time. We are not immune and the BW comments are pretty valid and frankly scary. It is nice to say everything will work out, and honestly, that is what I say to. We all invested all this time into the process we kind of have to believe it. But coming from a current student actually experiencing it, you kind of wonder how bad the situation is and will get.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
16 kudos to PleaseSleep's post! I love you guys, but even more I love the psychology and the madness of crowds (and MBAs in particular). Let's all selectively choose to ignore things we don't want to hear - worked out well for all the Wall Streeters who ignored Peter Schiff :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZapLpNBEAoE

That crazy agold... He's just speaking nonsense again.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
So all that speculation from us prospectives aside, current students: how are you faring? Is recruiting amazing? Terrible? So-so?

:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
I just wanted to shed light on the fact that news coming from current students or admitted students regarding recruiting should be taken with a grain of salt. These people have significant amounts of money and time invested in their process -- they are not going to talk bad about it, they will just make the best of what they can. Everyone loves to talk about their success stories, noone likes to talk about their (or their schools) downsides or failures. You won't see anyone posting on here about certain companies/banks are barely recruiting, not giving out offers, etc. You'll only hear about the handful of offers that were given out.

I posted in the B School Life forum asking how the 09 class is doing (including me) and hardly anyone responded. I hope more will respond and share their stories in what is considered the most difficult job market in decades.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
We just had to endure the most competitive application season in history. Hopefully our efforts are rewarded when our internship interviews get underway. :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I would have answered honestly but Agold made it clear I shouldn't...so I wont.

BTW I already have 1 offer before on-campus even started and I am 99.99% not taking it so I can continue to pursue things I am more passionate about. I am generally not a very risk seeking individual so I would not do this if I didnt feel I would be successful.

Oh, and despite the speculation I am not PleaseSleep, but I do agree with what he posted about and gave him a Kudo, if I still had the ability to give larger numbers he would get far more.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Oh man, I can do it still...

+10 PleaseSleep
SVP
SVP
Send PM
From the London Business School blog:

https://mbablog.london.edu

"On the positive side, we have seen history in the making. On the negative side, the job markets are in turmoil. Many alumni have lost their jobs and those of us looking for jobs, either for an internship or for a full-time opportunity are having a very tough time. Anyone with a job offer should consider him-/herself very fortunate right now. An example can be the full-time recruiting event of BCG: a whopping 250 people attended (including finance interested MBAs and MIF students). In the end, no one got an offer from the London, Frankfurt or Zurich office."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Wow, intense thread. I would be interested to know how other current students are doing as well. The economy might not get much by the end of 2009, when internship hiring begins for the class of 2011 (I know, less than 11 months away).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Whats wrong with u guys? agold makes a mistake by painting all current students with the same brush and PleaseSleep responds with a highly offensive post. You guys reward him with 28 kudos. Its just pathetic. agold might have been opinionated, but his post wasnt targetted at anyone particular. If PleaseSleep had an issue with agold's post, he could have pm'ed him abt it. He dint have to embarrass agold on the forum. If agold's post dint answer the original question, neither did pleasesleep's, nor did mine!

Comeon guys, we r GC, we r better than this!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
I dont go to an M7, so my opinion may not count for much on this thread.

Recruiting is very tough for anyone who is even slightly unfocused in his/her efforts. This is true in any year, but this year the process is going to be brutal on anyone who has NOT done research/networking from day 1 of B-school. In other words, in previos years you could change your mind 3 times during the 1st year and still end up with an offer you want. Now, unless you were able to determine a career focus and do whats required for that career from almost day 1 of B-school, a tough time awaits you.

Consulting and IB has been hit badly, but that is hardly a secret and no school needs to cover this up by "instructing" its students. International students are affected mainly by the visa situation, but thats got nothing to do with the economy. Loans are a big problem, but that again has nothing to do with which company recruits on-campus. The situation is bad, but not insurmountable and people need to work harder this year than before. But, I dont subscribe to the conspiracy theory. We dont live in a bubble...Believe me, most people here at Ross dont have that attitude.

- From someone who just landed his 1st offer in the 1st week of school after the break.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
I dont go to an M7, so my opinion may not count for much on this thread.

Recruiting is very tough for anyone who is even slightly unfocused in his/her efforts. This is true in any year, but this year the process is going to be brutal on anyone who has NOT done research/networking from day 1 of B-school. In other words, in previos years you could change your mind 3 times during the 1st year and still end up with an offer you want. Now, unless you were able to determine a career focus and do whats required for that career from almost day 1 of B-school, a tough time awaits you.

Consulting and IB has been hit badly, but that is hardly a secret and no school needs to cover this up by "instructing" its students. International students are affected mainly by the visa situation, but thats got nothing to do with the economy. Loans are a big problem, but that again has nothing to do with which company recruits on-campus. The situation is bad, but not insurmountable and people need to work harder this year than before. But, I dont subscribe to the conspiracy theory. We dont live in a bubble...Believe me, most people here at Ross dont have that attitude.

- From someone who just landed his 1st offer in the 1st week of school after the break.

I appreciate your honesty and your insights. +1 ...and congrats on your offer!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
GMAT Tutor
1906 posts