Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How should I address a weak gpa?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How should I address a weak gpa? [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 16:59
Hi Paul,

my background
710 gmat
67% gpa and a failed course in my second last semester

I'm going in for a voluntary interview at tuck and I was wondering if they should ask me "is there anything you would like to address or let the admissions committee know, that we haven't covered?"

Should I bring up the reasons for my weak gpa and why i failed a course? family financial troubles...even though I will address it in my optional essay.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: How should I address a weak gpa? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 17:47
to_vin wrote:
Hi Paul,

my background
710 gmat
67% gpa and a failed course in my second last semester

I'm going in for a voluntary interview at tuck and I was wondering if they should ask me "is there anything you would like to address or let the admissions committee know, that we haven't covered?"

Should I bring up the reasons for my weak gpa and why i failed a course? family financial troubles...even though I will address it in my optional essay.

to_vin,

No way. Don't waste valuable self-marketing time on some negative that you will explain in your application anyway. Focus on something positive. You may want to take a look at Accepted.com's extensive interview resources.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thank you! [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 05:24
Thanks for the advice paul. What you're saying totally makes sense.

I was wondering if I could get a profile evaluation as well, if it's not too much trouble.

I'm a chinese male born in Canada, 27 years of age.

710 gmat score ( 46 quant, 41 verbal) 2nd attempt

I went to the University of Western Ontario, where I did a double degree in Computer Engineering (67%) and Economics(73%).

I've spent the past 2 years writing cfa exams - I've passed level 2 and will write level 3 in June.

I grew up in a small business family, where I helped out every saturday, and summer since I was 6.

I'm a manager with 5 direct reports at a Human Resource Outsourcing firm. I've progressed quickly for the 3 years that I've been there. First and only full time job. Managed some large projects ~ training 100 business analysts in toronto.

I do a lot of community work at work as part of the canadian community relations team for my company- we do a lot of fund raising for numerous charities, amounts to rouhgly a couple hours a month, I also implemented and chair the annual texas holdem poker tournament which raises roughly 5000 a year. I've also created a website for a charity in India as well ~ joint project with Vishrut(a couple of posts below). However, I did not participate in any extra curricular activities during university.

I intend on applying to
Tuck, Wharton, Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Yale, MIT, Kellogg and chicago.

Future career goals: associate in venture capital / private equity.
Long Term : be a partner in a venture cap fund, or start my own business.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Thank you! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2006, 15:52
to_vin wrote:
Thanks for the advice paul. What you're saying totally makes sense.

I was wondering if I could get a profile evaluation as well, if it's not too much trouble.

I'm a chinese male born in Canada, 27 years of age.

710 gmat score ( 46 quant, 41 verbal) 2nd attempt

I went to the University of Western Ontario, where I did a double degree in Computer Engineering (67%) and Economics(73%).

I've spent the past 2 years writing cfa exams - I've passed level 2 and will write level 3 in June.

I grew up in a small business family, where I helped out every saturday, and summer since I was 6.

I'm a manager with 5 direct reports at a Human Resource Outsourcing firm. I've progressed quickly for the 3 years that I've been there. First and only full time job. Managed some large projects ~ training 100 business analysts in toronto.

I do a lot of community work at work as part of the canadian community relations team for my company- we do a lot of fund raising for numerous charities, amounts to rouhgly a couple hours a month, I also implemented and chair the annual texas holdem poker tournament which raises roughly 5000 a year. I've also created a website for a charity in India as well ~ joint project with Vishrut(a couple of posts below). However, I did not participate in any extra curricular activities during university.

I intend on applying to
Tuck, Wharton, Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Yale, MIT, Kellogg and chicago.

Future career goals: associate in venture capital / private equity.
Long Term : be a partner in a venture cap fund, or start my own business.

to_vin,

Fairly strong profile, maybe a little light in the community involvement (because it's done through your work), but no major red flags. You look very competitive at Stern and Yale; possible at Tuck, MIT, and Chicago; somewhat less possible at Wharton and Chicago; a longshot at Harvard and Kellogg. Make sure you really nail your goal statement: knowledgeable, due diligence with names of industry people spoken to.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter