Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How should I represent a contracting role?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
How should I represent a contracting role? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 06:03
I am currently working in IT for a large retailer, but am employed through a contracting company(and have been for 3 years). How should I represent this on my resume and applications?

Another issue, although my current responsibilities are the same as a project manager, I am listed as a "contractor" in this retailers database. If I do list my current role as "Project Manager" will that be a red-flag on Kroll? Should I simply put my title as Contracted Project Manager? Would this cover my bases even if I'm considered a "Contractor"?

Also, if I have to list myself as a "Contractor," how can I prove career progression without a title change? Should I still seperate different periods of my employment under the same title when my responsibilities changed?

Any input at all is VERY appreciated

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: How should I represent a contracting role? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 11:36
I had a somewhat similar issue. In my case, I listed the contracting company as my employer, listed my position as contractor, and for my first resume bullet I wrote something like "Outside contractor for XYZ Retail Corp., with similar responsibilities to a Project Manager." That way, everything is on the level and you still convey the essence of what you were doing. You can also write a few sentences of explanation in the optional essay if you feel that what's on your resume isn't clear enough. I really do think adcoms read your whole application, so they will understand the situation if you explain it clearly.

I'm more concerned about how to deal with this when applying for internships and full-time positions. I don't want an HR person to throw my resume in the trash because they don't recognize the company I was working for (contracting company as opposed to the company I was actually doing work for). That's one of the first things I want to discuss with career services when I get to school.
Current Student

Re: How should I represent a contracting role? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 11:51
tctc33 wrote:
I had a somewhat similar issue. In my case, I listed the contracting company as my employer, listed my position as contractor, and for my first resume bullet I wrote something like "Outside contractor for XYZ Retail Corp., with similar responsibilities to a Project Manager." That way, everything is on the level and you still convey the essence of what you were doing. You can also write a few sentences of explanation in the optional essay if you feel that what's on your resume isn't clear enough. I really do think adcoms read your whole application, so they will understand the situation if you explain it clearly.

I'm more concerned about how to deal with this when applying for internships and full-time positions. I don't want an HR person to throw my resume in the trash because they don't recognize the company I was working for (contracting company as opposed to the company I was actually doing work for). That's one of the first things I want to discuss with career services when I get to school.

Ha, great, another thing to worry about!
How successful were you, do you think the fact that you were contracted caused problems with acceptance?

How about I put it together like this:
IT Contracting Company - 8/10 - Present
Outside Contractor For Retail Company
Project Manager - 8/11-Present
- Lead project of 3 trillion people and 7 trillions tasks blah blah blah

Analyst - 8/10-8/11
- Was a super amazing analyst
- blah
- blah
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: How should I represent a contracting role? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 12:41
I used to work for a contracting/consulting company as well, and have seen it both ways. I've seen it in a similar format to your preceding post with the IT consulting company in the lead position with the bigger brand names/clients in the bullet points. I've also seen the client name listed in the lead position but with the job title referencing the work as a contractor/vendor, such as below:

Big Name Client
Something Engineer (Consultant) Jan-08 - Aug-09

Fancy Client
Something Engineer (Consultant) Jan-07 - Dec-07

IT Contracting Company
Consultant Jan-07 - Aug-09

Keep in mind, however, that I'm referring to both job resumes and LinkedIn profiles, so I don't know if resume etiquette when applying for a FT job necessarily carries over to the business school app. I'm a bit torn on this choice as well, as I am still in the process of touching up my resume (and shortening it to 1 page).
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: How should I represent a contracting role? [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 12:30
So here's what I did, and which I think you shouldn't have any issues replicating..Mind you, I wasn't contracting. I was working full time for a F500 company but we used to always work with clients at client locations and hence this could very well be applicable to you..

My designation in my firm was Senior Consultant. However my role title was Project Lead. So in my resume, I put it like this..

May 2008 - July 2012...............F500 Company
Jun 2010 - Present...................Client ABC
.............................................(Senior Consultant) Project Lead

May 2008 - Dec 2009...............Client XYZ
............................................(Consultant) Team Lead

In your case, it would look like this..

May 2009 - July 2012...............IT Contracting Company
Jun 2010 - Present...................Firm ABC
...........................................(Contractor) Project Manager

May 2009 - Jun 2010................Firm XYZ
...........................................(Contractor) Team Lead

Sorry for the messed up alignment but I hope you get the idea..You have to write your contracting firm as your employer, there's pretty much no way around it. However the above approach will help anyone seeing your resume get the sense that you have indeed worked with some big names in the market. Plus don't stress yourself over this. There are several folks from IT Contracting backgrounds that go through the process every year, so the ad com will pretty much understand what you're trying to convey.

I disagree with the poster above who advised writing something about this in your optional essay. I think this is too trivial a matter to be included in the optional essay. Keep your word space in that essay free for something else that may come up..

Hope this helps!! :)
Current Student

Re: How should I represent a contracting role? [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 15:38
scorpionz wrote:
So here's what I did, and which I think you shouldn't have any issues replicating..Mind you, I wasn't contracting. I was working full time for a F500 company but we used to always work with clients at client locations and hence this could very well be applicable to you..

My designation in my firm was Senior Consultant. However my role title was Project Lead. So in my resume, I put it like this..

May 2008 - July 2012...............F500 Company
Jun 2010 - Present...................Client ABC
.............................................(Senior Consultant) Project Lead

May 2008 - Dec 2009...............Client XYZ
............................................(Consultant) Team Lead

In your case, it would look like this..

May 2009 - July 2012...............IT Contracting Company
Jun 2010 - Present...................Firm ABC
...........................................(Contractor) Project Manager

May 2009 - Jun 2010................Firm XYZ
...........................................(Contractor) Team Lead

Sorry for the messed up alignment but I hope you get the idea..You have to write your contracting firm as your employer, there's pretty much no way around it. However the above approach will help anyone seeing your resume get the sense that you have indeed worked with some big names in the market. Plus don't stress yourself over this. There are several folks from IT Contracting backgrounds that go through the process every year, so the ad com will pretty much understand what you're trying to convey.

I disagree with the poster above who advised writing something about this in your optional essay. I think this is too trivial a matter to be included in the optional essay. Keep your word space in that essay free for something else that may come up..

Hope this helps!! :)

Thanks! I think I get the idea. Either way I have to keep my optional essay open for a employment gap where I tried to launch a start-up and failed! the 09s were a fun time for everyone...
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: How should I represent a contracting role? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 03:21
Haha..yes they were!

Good luck!
Re: How should I represent a contracting role?   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2012, 03:21