Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to 760

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to 760 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 07:09
V- 44 [97 percentile]
Q- 50 [96 percentile]

First , I would like to repeat BB's words : It is not impossible.

Key to score : Kaplan on line tests Q bank 1000 and Kaplan verbal workbook

My weakness was verbal. I spent 3 months taking the online tests from kaplan quiz bank. The sentence correction questions on Kaplan are divided by categories : verbs, modifiers, usage, pronoun .. Further each of these sub categories can be classified by difficulty level. I solved these 180 questions around 6- 8 times, repeating the questions i got wrong.

THE ON LINE ACCESS IS VALID FOR 90 days ONLY!!

So make the most of it. I travelled M- F and used the LSAT books for CR and RC.

Quant was easy for me as I am an engineer. I repeated the classic mistake of neglecting ones strong area. On the test, I got some difficult DS questions on numbers.

So in a nutshell : Take 12 weeks time , slowly build up your momentum - do not neglect your strong areas

I will be happy to ans any queries. Thanks to GMATCLUB and bb in particular for my score

HK
_________________

HK
------------
learning verbal

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: How to 760 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 07:57
baronharsh wrote:
V- 44 [97 percentile]
Q- 50 [96 percentile]

First , I would like to repeat BB's words : It is not impossible.

Key to score : Kaplan on line tests Q bank 1000 and Kaplan verbal workbook

My weakness was verbal. I spent 3 months taking the online tests from kaplan quiz bank. The sentence correction questions on Kaplan are divided by categories : verbs, modifiers, usage, pronoun .. Further each of these sub categories can be classified by difficulty level. I solved these 180 questions around 6- 8 times, repeating the questions i got wrong.

THE ON LINE ACCESS IS VALID FOR 90 days ONLY!!

So make the most of it. I travelled M- F and used the LSAT books for CR and RC.

Quant was easy for me as I am an engineer. I repeated the classic mistake of neglecting ones strong area. On the test, I got some difficult DS questions on numbers.

So in a nutshell : Take 12 weeks time , slowly build up your momentum - do not neglect your strong areas

I will be happy to ans any queries. Thanks to GMATCLUB and bb in particular for my score

HK



Hey Baron

Congrats for a good performance. some questions for ya.

Did you take the kaplan tests on the CD...How are the Quiz banks different from the CD tests?
Kaplan Math is great....but i dont find Kaplan verbal that hard...so i am having a hard time deciding whether to purchase or not...
Can we save/print the questions and solutions on the Quiz Bank?
Would you recommend taking as many practice CATs as possible? i have taken only two till date

I have the Lsats..but i find their CR's more logic based than the GMAT's ..which are more everyday reasoning types...whats your opinion?


Thanks
Praetorian
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 12:45
sure you could cut copy paste the kaplan material - but then you lose the flex of having the reporting that sits on top of that.

I have not gone thru the CD - verbal was my weakness - probably your verbal is strong and you dont need the drill. The point i was trying to make is with practice you can crack GMAT

I did not take any CAT - but mind you I do some very analytical work and am used to sitting for 4- 5 hrs at a strech - if you are not used to sitting at a place and working then you are "must " take as many cats as you can.


I could finish verbal in 60 min - SC was kewl, CR was much easier than LSAT - RC passages were surprisingly close to the passages i saw on Kaplan. So i took @40 s for SC q, 60 for CR and then 7-8 min per passage. I used elemination and could zero on the ans very quickly.

Try the last few q of GMAT PLUS for maths - I did not have time for them

go ahead with your Gmat - I guess your score would be > 760

All the best
_________________

HK
------------
learning verbal

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 13:47
baronharsh wrote:
sure you could cut copy paste the kaplan material - but then you lose the flex of having the reporting that sits on top of that.

I have not gone thru the CD - verbal was my weakness - probably your verbal is strong and you dont need the drill. The point i was trying to make is with practice you can crack GMAT

I did not take any CAT - but mind you I do some very analytical work and am used to sitting for 4- 5 hrs at a strech - if you are not used to sitting at a place and working then you are "must " take as many cats as you can.

I could finish verbal in 60 min - SC was kewl, CR was much easier than LSAT - RC passages were surprisingly close to the passages i saw on Kaplan. So i took @40 s for SC q, 60 for CR and then 7-8 min per passage. I used elemination and could zero on the ans very quickly.

Try the last few q of GMAT PLUS for maths - I did not have time for them

go ahead with your Gmat - I guess your score would be > 760

All the best


you are definitely in a minority... your mode of study certainly was a refreshing change ! :)

I am amazed at the speed at which you solved the SC's and CR's on the real one!! I usually solve a set of 50 SC's in 50-55 mins...you are way faster than that...i can tell you worked hard !

Well, i ask about the copy paste feature...coz it just makes life easier..if i have to ask someone of the forums to clarify a rule or solve the problem..
i can just copy paste it.

what kind of materials did you use for Math...the same quiz banks..

Thanks for your wishes and great advice

Best of luck to you too

Praetorian
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 63
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 17:58
Congrats on the great score. I just took and got a 700 and am shooting for about 50 more points. I was wondering what gmat plus is, where one could get it, and whether or not it's worth getting. Thanks.
_________________

Paul

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

gmat plus [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 22:09
just hunt on ebay - you should get the stuff for under $20 - it has loads of questions. the questions look very similar to the stuff that crops up on actual test

also check the links section of this forum for some gmat plus stuff

all the best
_________________

HK
------------
learning verbal

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2003, 22:44
pkatz wrote:
Congrats on the great score. I just took and got a 700 and am shooting for about 50 more points. I was wondering what gmat plus is, where one could get it, and whether or not it's worth getting. Thanks.


Hey

Gmat+ is a set of six books ..which contain questions primarily from older ETS paper tests... I find it very useful for the Verbal section and the DS for the math section...for PS, i just try to skim through and solve the questions that "appear" difficult...

Gmatplus can be a good source for "practice" ..kind of like to sharpen your skills...EACH book contains Atleast 125 -150 SC' + 50 CR's + 20 RC passages + 200 DS and PS ... so for six books..thats a lot of good practice..

What do i use gmat+ for? well..anytime i feel i am doing ok with GMAT...i get myself a reality check with a "speed and stress" environment where i solve 60 random Verbal questions in 75 minutes...and then follow it up with 60 PS+DS in 75 minutes..

It surprises me as to how the timed environment changes the whole situation...i do simple mistakes...like reading the question stem wrong..or checking the wrong answer!!!! The harder ones get me sometimes! All in All...its kind of a good warm up for the original nightmare :)

i kinda think like this..if i can do the simple questions as fast as i can...i have a better shot at gettting the real weird questions right...so even if you think you are good at those seemingly simple ones...just keep going at it...it doesnt hurt at all.

Only Answers are provided...No Explanations...Just like the newly released Paper tests....But i regularly post the ones i got wrong here and and other forums

So its kinda working for me.. Like i said... use GMAT + for practice..for learning..theres OG , Kaplan and GMAT Club..a deadly combination.

So now that i am done with my sales pitch :) ...Call me at 713 926 2292 or email me at aejaz78@yahoo.com if you want to purchase.

you can buy it from ebay.com too...

I see that you are aiming to cross 750..better get all the practice you can get..

See what works for you...
Good Luck
Praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Posts: 258
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2003, 02:49
pkatz
u can find the GMAT stuff at this link:
http://gmatclub.com/blog/gmat-resources/

or better still go to the home page of this site (GMAT club) and click on "tests" link found under "GMAT Maetrial". U will find other useful
sites as well.
- Vicks
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2003, 03:28
After BB mentioned it, i checked that link...thats 100% not gmat+...It might be useful though.

i checked Book 3 which is with me...its not the same.
I think i know where that material is from..its from http://www.downdowndown.net.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2003
Posts: 22
Location: NY, NY
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kaplan on line tests Q bank 1000 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2003, 21:03
Baron,

How Key is to use Kaplan on line tests Q bank 1000? Does it have CAT test in the bank? So far I have been using OG, PR and Kaplan CD. Does the toughness of the kaplan verbal questions make the real questions look easy? Thank you,
_________________

Yoda
________________________________
Try not. Do or Not Do, there is no try!

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

kaplan on line test [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 02:52
It does not simulate cat .. you need to select the level of difficulty and the area you want to work on

For eg you could select SC>Subject verb agreement & difficulty level : LOW or LOW & MEDIUM

You can try different combinations like, see only unused questions or questions that you got wrong on the last try

Hope it helps

BH
_________________

HK
------------
learning verbal

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 56
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: kaplan on line test [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 09:16
Hi everyone,
I have started using the OG, I was wondering what else do I need to do to improve my Verbal.I did get the PR Verbal Workout and found it decent.But wondering where can I find more practice. And where do I get CD's from. Please tell me..I really need help from you guys!!

Thanks,
you can also mail me at satgates@yahoo.com

Sat.
_________________

Attain Moksha

Re: kaplan on line test   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2003, 09:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 How I cracked the SC questions (Verbal 44 / GMAT 760) snehil 6 25 May 2014, 11:21
1 How I Went From 640 to 760. You Can Do It Too! GGDragon 13 20 Apr 2012, 22:06
2 How far will you go ... 650 to 630 to 760 justme1 6 21 Mar 2012, 09:49
Experts publish their posts in the topic 760!!! jaf74 12 06 Oct 2009, 04:49
How to go from 720 to 760+? swbluedevil 9 18 Nov 2007, 13:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How to 760

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.