Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [492]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [9]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT Date: 06-12-2014
GPA: 3.66
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: How to Review and Analyze Your Mistakes [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Very important post here. I would add that when reviewing a Quant problem it is often helpful to rework the problem, while keeping in mind that on the challenging problems, seeing through to what makes the problem challenging is important. Are you asked to be creative in a specific way with basic knowledge? Is there a less common number property at play here that tests the breadth of your knowledge? etc.

When reviewing a Verbal problem, it is very helpful to analyze the incorrect choices deeply. On a Critical Reasoning problem, figure out why the choice you selected (or considered selecting) is incorrect. Use the stimulus to help you see why that choice does not do the task at hand. This will help you work the choices on similar problems more effectively.

www.gmatclarity.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For me, flashcards have worked wonders.

Whenever I get a question wrong, or even if I get a hard question right, I'll spend a long time analyzing the explanation. After however long it takes me to internalize any takeaways from the explanation, I make a flashcard. I find that re-writing the solution and takeaway on the back of the flashcard helps me reinforce what I just read. Plus it's nice to have these flashcards with key takeaways on my way to work via public transit :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I always attempt those question first which i have answer correctly. Those question which i have some doubt or confusing i read that question again and answer them according to my knowledge not books words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Very Good post. Would really help out a novice like me who is just starting out....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I seem to make the following mistakes regularly. I don't know to get rid of them. Can someone help please.

SC
1. I see long sentences, get anxious and tend to freak out, resulting in spending a lot of time re-reading.

CR
1. After reviewing the incorrect answers I always realize that I hadn't read the question/passage properly. I know the straight forward solution is to read properly, but however much I try to do that, this error is still responsible for 2-3 mistakes per mock.
2. I'm totally unable to solve bold faces.
3. Can strengther/weakener question strengthen/weaken any thing else except the conclusion?

Quant:

1. get scared by equations
2. uncomfortable with testing numbers

Thanks,
Ars
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for sharing this thread from this I can easily understand how to review and analyze the mistakes.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
arslan101 wrote:
I seem to make the following mistakes regularly. I don't know to get rid of them. Can someone help please.

SC
1. I see long sentences, get anxious and tend to freak out, resulting in spending a lot of time re-reading.

I would recommend splitting sentence into parts and using a check-list to evaluate/find a mistake.
I would also recommend reading long sentences in fiction - Faulkner comes to mind.

Quote:
CR
1. After reviewing the incorrect answers I always realize that I hadn't read the question/passage properly. I know the straight forward solution is to read properly, but however much I try to do that, this error is still responsible for 2-3 mistakes per mock.
2. I'm totally unable to solve bold faces.
3. Can strengther/weakener question strengthen/weaken any thing else except the conclusion?

Study bold face and practice
I am not sure i get your question about strengthen/weaken - it is important to understand the assumptions. That's what this mostly is.

Quote:
Quant:

1. get scared by equations
2. uncomfortable with testing numbers

Thanks,
Ars

Study numbers :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Nice and very helpful post. I can help a lot to overcome our mistakes as a novice.

creating-strong-mba-resume-159158.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
I have been preparing for the GMAT for about a year. I have improved in Quant, but not in Verbal. I always come down to 2 options and end up marking the wrong option. When I read the explanations, the reason for having marked a wrong answer is this - Oh! I missed that. I didn't strike me. When I redo the question without reading the explanation I get the question right. This happens across difficulty levels and types of questions - RC, CR and SC. Whenever I take a Verbal test, I end up screwing one section for sure and there isn't a pattern. Sometimes its RC, sometimes its CR and rarely SC. I do have an error log, but honestly, at this point, I have exhausted the official material and I do not know what to do. I got a 31 in my recent GMAT exam. Please help!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prathiba3985 wrote:
Hi,
I have been preparing for the GMAT for about a year. I have improved in Quant, but not in Verbal. I always come down to 2 options and end up marking the wrong option. When I read the explanations, the reason for having marked a wrong answer is this - Oh! I missed that. I didn't strike me. When I redo the question without reading the explanation I get the question right. This happens across difficulty levels and types of questions - RC, CR and SC. Whenever I take a Verbal test, I end up screwing one section for sure and there isn't a pattern. Sometimes its RC, sometimes its CR and rarely SC. I do have an error log, but honestly, at this point, I have exhausted the official material and I do not know what to do. I got a 31 in my recent GMAT exam. Please help!

[b]Even I am suffering from the same disease of being stuck at 31..Please share if you have found some solution[/b]
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
alok190690 wrote:
prathiba3985 wrote:
Hi,

[b]Even I am suffering from the same disease of being stuck at 31..Please share if you have found some solution[/b]

Even I went through the same situation before I understood my mistakes and improved on them, specially RC and CR.

Most mistakes happen in CR and RC because of
1) Over obsessing about the content and hunting for details.
2) Rushing through without understanding the content or missing key words.

You will find these things mentioned in every prep books available in market. Its always about identifying the pattern and that comes through practice and evaluating error logs.

Hope that this helps somewhat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Great guide to how you will improve your mistakes. good platform for GMAT preparation and discussion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
alok190690 wrote:
prathiba3985 wrote:
Hi,

Even I went through the same situation before I understood my mistakes and improved on them, specially RC and CR.

Most mistakes happen in CR and RC because of
1) Over obsessing about the content and hunting for details.
2) Rushing through without understanding the content or missing key words.

You will find these things mentioned in every prep books available in market. Its always about identifying the pattern and that comes through practice and evaluating error logs.

Hope that this helps somewhat.

Thanks
I have 1 more query..Now that i have completed Manhattan,Offical guide and Power score,should i go for Online courses such as e gmat prep or revisit these books again.
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos