Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to best handle AWA and IR ?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 184
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 06:12
So I was thinking lately, "is it worth skipping the AWA and IR, get a 0, and then do my best on the rest of the GMAT?".
As I was digesting this argument, I ended up in a more mature thought: "what if I don't stress too much for AWA and IR, and maybe go for a 2/8 or 3/8". This meaning that I will write my AWA, without worrying too much if I expanded or extended my argument too much, proceed to IR, focus on 4-5 questions which I think I can answer correctly, and take it really lightly for the rest of them.

What do you think?

P.S. I've no idea how IR is being handled by bschools, I'm planning to apply for 2014 courses. Also, I haven't seen anywhere IR being asked or rated or evaluated...moreover I just can't buy the argument that some people say "yeah...it doesn't really count, but it's nice to have a good mark". What does that even mean? That bschool admissions might say, "yeah, he got a 690, which is great, his application looks fine, his CV too, but....awwww...just missed it because of his low IR!"
:?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Hoping to get off the waitlist!
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 341
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 122

Premium Member
Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 06:50
You should take them seriously. I've heard somewhere that whilst it's true that schools don't care too much about AWA, it just plainly looks bad if you don't try or get below a 4/6 (21st percentile). Also, if you're unaware, the schools get a copy of what you wrote for your AWA.

I would recommend you read through this guide: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html Come up with a similar template, memorize it, and write one or two essays with this template. That should be sufficient for you to easily get above a 4/6. I personally had unfinished sentences/paragraphs in my AWA and still managed a 5/6.

As for IR... who knows. I know that MIT specifically stated that they won't look at IR. Lots of other schools may not look at it as well, or more likely, they won't put much weight into it. Again, if it looks like you didn't try or scored poorly, it may look bad. That said, I personally found the IR section to be a combination of quant/verbal, so if you have a decent handle on both sections, I find IR to come naturally. The hardest part about IR is pacing yourself.

But in general, you are correct and you shouldn't stress yourself too much with AWA/IR. They definitely count less than the Quant/Verbal, but do at least try.

Just my two cents.
_________________

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
List of all 2014 Admit Weekends
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 184
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 08:16
farful wrote:
You should take them seriously. I've heard somewhere that whilst it's true that schools don't care too much about AWA, it just plainly looks bad if you don't try or get below a 4/6 (21st percentile). Also, if you're unaware, the schools get a copy of what you wrote for your AWA.

I would recommend you read through this guide: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html Come up with a similar template, memorize it, and write one or two essays with this template. That should be sufficient for you to easily get above a 4/6. I personally had unfinished sentences/paragraphs in my AWA and still managed a 5/6.

As for IR... who knows. I know that MIT specifically stated that they won't look at IR. Lots of other schools may not look at it as well, or more likely, they won't put much weight into it. Again, if it looks like you didn't try or scored poorly, it may look bad. That said, I personally found the IR section to be a combination of quant/verbal, so if you have a decent handle on both sections, I find IR to come naturally. The hardest part about IR is pacing yourself.

But in general, you are correct and you shouldn't stress yourself too much with AWA/IR. They definitely count less than the Quant/Verbal, but do at least try.

Just my two cents.


Farful,
I agree with almost everything you have mentioned, and I have also read the guide myself :) It's a great guide too.
I disagree with the fact that bschools will see a good GMAT score, and then disregard you for not having a good AWA or IR (also strongly agree that IR derives from quant/verbal study). I'm not in admissions, but if I saw a profile that matched my expectations plus a good GMAT score, I would invite the candidate for an interview and try to see beyond AWA and IR.
I'm pushing my luck here, but as long as I don't see AWA and IR marks being asked for, I can't accept that a bad AWA will throw you off (whereas a bad quant most probably will).
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 894
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 06:14
Skag55 wrote:
So I was thinking lately, "is it worth skipping the AWA and IR, get a 0, and then do my best on the rest of the GMAT?".
As I was digesting this argument, I ended up in a more mature thought: "what if I don't stress too much for AWA and IR, and maybe go for a 2/8 or 3/8". This meaning that I will write my AWA, without worrying too much if I expanded or extended my argument too much, proceed to IR, focus on 4-5 questions which I think I can answer correctly, and take it really lightly for the rest of them.

What do you think?

P.S. I've no idea how IR is being handled by bschools, I'm planning to apply for 2014 courses. Also, I haven't seen anywhere IR being asked or rated or evaluated...moreover I just can't buy the argument that some people say "yeah...it doesn't really count, but it's nice to have a good mark". What does that even mean? That bschool admissions might say, "yeah, he got a 690, which is great, his application looks fine, his CV too, but....awwww...just missed it because of his low IR!"
:?


Dont take chance, devote a day or two, Its not difficult.
_________________

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-


1 KUDOS = 1 THANK


Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 184
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 07:13
prateekbhatt wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
So I was thinking lately, "is it worth skipping the AWA and IR, get a 0, and then do my best on the rest of the GMAT?".
As I was digesting this argument, I ended up in a more mature thought: "what if I don't stress too much for AWA and IR, and maybe go for a 2/8 or 3/8". This meaning that I will write my AWA, without worrying too much if I expanded or extended my argument too much, proceed to IR, focus on 4-5 questions which I think I can answer correctly, and take it really lightly for the rest of them.

What do you think?

P.S. I've no idea how IR is being handled by bschools, I'm planning to apply for 2014 courses. Also, I haven't seen anywhere IR being asked or rated or evaluated...moreover I just can't buy the argument that some people say "yeah...it doesn't really count, but it's nice to have a good mark". What does that even mean? That bschool admissions might say, "yeah, he got a 690, which is great, his application looks fine, his CV too, but....awwww...just missed it because of his low IR!"
:?


Dont take chance, devote a day or two, Its not difficult.


Hi prateekbhatt,

The question is not whether to devote time or not, rather it's whether to squeeze my brain at the test day on these two sections.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 894
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 07:22
Skag55 wrote:
prateekbhatt wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
So I was thinking lately, "is it worth skipping the AWA and IR, get a 0, and then do my best on the rest of the GMAT?".
As I was digesting this argument, I ended up in a more mature thought: "what if I don't stress too much for AWA and IR, and maybe go for a 2/8 or 3/8". This meaning that I will write my AWA, without worrying too much if I expanded or extended my argument too much, proceed to IR, focus on 4-5 questions which I think I can answer correctly, and take it really lightly for the rest of them.

What do you think?

P.S. I've no idea how IR is being handled by bschools, I'm planning to apply for 2014 courses. Also, I haven't seen anywhere IR being asked or rated or evaluated...moreover I just can't buy the argument that some people say "yeah...it doesn't really count, but it's nice to have a good mark". What does that even mean? That bschool admissions might say, "yeah, he got a 690, which is great, his application looks fine, his CV too, but....awwww...just missed it because of his low IR!"
:?


Dont take chance, devote a day or two, Its not difficult.


Hi prateekbhatt,

The question is not whether to devote time or not, rather it's whether to squeeze my brain at the test day on these two sections.


Yes, definitely you must squeeze your brain on those sections. Have a look at these links..

can-i-skip-the-awa-and-ir-156116.html?fl=similar

ir-and-awa-prep-145603.html?fl=similar
_________________

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-


1 KUDOS = 1 THANK


Kick Ass Gmat

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 666
Location: Bangalore
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 18:30
Hi,

It will be absolutely suicidal if u chose to ignore AWA and IR section..remember gmat score alone might give you an admission call from a b school or two, but it is your overall profile including AWA and IR sections which result in final conversion.

B schools look at your AWA score to judge your capability to analysis an issue,take a stand on it and express it concisely and clearly..
IR section is gaining increasing importance in getting interview calls.

If you take 2 similar profiles - profile 1 with GMAT score of 680 and IR score of 6 or 7, profile 2 with GMAT score of 700 and IR score of 3....mark my word, most b schools will prefer profile1 over profile2 even though profile1 has lower GMAT score.

For online GMAT preparation and tips visit http://bit.ly/XKxOPd

Cheers!
Neha Singh
_________________

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect


Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 184
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 02:06
nehasingh1020 wrote:
Hi,

It will be absolutely suicidal if u chose to ignore AWA and IR section..remember gmat score alone might give you an admission call from a b school or two, but it is your overall profile including AWA and IR sections which result in final conversion.

B schools look at your AWA score to judge your capability to analysis an issue,take a stand on it and express it concisely and clearly..
IR section is gaining increasing importance in getting interview calls.

If you take 2 similar profiles - profile 1 with GMAT score of 680 and IR score of 6 or 7, profile 2 with GMAT score of 700 and IR score of 3....mark my word, most b schools will prefer profile1 over profile2 even though profile1 has lower GMAT score.

For online GMAT preparation and tips visit http://bit.ly/XKxOPd

Cheers!
Neha Singh


Hi Neha,

I don't know if you are or have been part of admissions to be so sure about the 2 different profiles, I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but to be honest, between 2 candidates with gmat 680 and 700, I think they would look at the rest of their application (CV, personal statements and stories etc). Think, if GMAT is a fraction of the application (as b-schools claim), then IR and AWA are a fraction of the fraction.
Again, I'm not saying THEY CAN'T COUNT, I'm saying I haven't found any evidence that they do plus, who judges how good is good? (i.e. how good is 6 or 4 or 8?)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2013
Posts: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 05:48
Struggle for IR, any hints?
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 894
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 06:27
lilugmat wrote:
Struggle for IR, any hints?


Follow this link..

integrated-reasoning-ir-177/
_________________

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-


1 KUDOS = 1 THANK


Kick Ass Gmat

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 666
Location: Bangalore
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 20:10
Hi,

Sure, amongst choosing between 2 candidates whose scores are 680 and 700, entire profile,essays etc will be looked at. This is why I mentioned that between 2 'SIMILAR' profiles, and GMAT scores of 680 and 700, one with higher IR score may be preferred.
Now, how good is a 4 or 6, %ile score that you get for your 4 or 6,gives that answer..

To know more on recent trends in IR, go through this article http://bit.ly/17KMRMM

Feel free to write if you have further queries.

Cheers!
Neha Singh
_________________

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect


Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ?   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2013, 20:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic How much time for IR+AWA? a03b 6 20 Jan 2014, 12:09
Experts publish their posts in the topic IR and AWA prep krackgmat 3 11 Jan 2013, 07:46
RC Strategy - How do others handle? jscott319 4 07 Nov 2010, 14:32
How do applicants handle this VirtualM 2 26 Dec 2007, 07:31
How not to handle your GSB interview rhyme 2 09 Nov 2006, 05:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How to best handle AWA and IR ?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.