Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Best Nail The SC Section Within a Month

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

How to Best Nail The SC Section Within a Month [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 10:08
Hi all,

Although I am aiming for a 720+ GMAT score when I go to get my MBA, right now, I am going to be applying for masters in accounting at top schools and need to score at least a 650 within a month to be competitive at top programs. I've gone through the MGMAT critical reasoning guide, and reading comprehension and have done pretty well (usually got 80% of the end of chapter questions right) on those 2, but sentence completion is a bit trickier. I'm still getting around 70% of the MGMAT paper questions right, but when I look online for 700 level questions, I get so many wrong. I've gone through the guide, but there's just so many rules that I feel like it's impossible to know all the nuances to answer the difficult questions. Is there a good way to prepping for this part of the test (at least the harder questions because I'm doing alright on 600 level questions), because this plus geometry/probability are going to be the parts that prevent me from getting a 650 on the GMAT when I take it next month.

Thanks!

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 301 [1] , given: 5

Re: How to Best Nail The SC Section Within a Month [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
brooksbrahs wrote:
Hi all,

Although I am aiming for a 720+ GMAT score when I go to get my MBA, right now, I am going to be applying for masters in accounting at top schools and need to score at least a 650 within a month to be competitive at top programs. I've gone through the MGMAT critical reasoning guide, and reading comprehension and have done pretty well (usually got 80% of the end of chapter questions right) on those 2, but sentence completion is a bit trickier. I'm still getting around 70% of the MGMAT paper questions right, but when I look online for 700 level questions, I get so many wrong. I've gone through the guide, but there's just so many rules that I feel like it's impossible to know all the nuances to answer the difficult questions. Is there a good way to prepping for this part of the test (at least the harder questions because I'm doing alright on 600 level questions), because this plus geometry/probability are going to be the parts that prevent me from getting a 650 on the GMAT when I take it next month.

Thanks!

Sentence Correction is tricky because it requires a pretty full understanding of the rules of grammar (or at least how the GMAT applies the rules of grammar). I have seen students experience a lot of improvement in a short period of time by creating their own SC "cheat sheet" of the grammar rules they need to remember (ie "and" is the most common parallel marker, "which" starts noun modifiers that must touch the noun they modify, etc). Once you have the cheat sheet, go topic by topic through the OG questions to make sure you understand the rules (the explanations in the OG aren't that bad either.

I will caution you that the GMAT is putting more emphasis on meaning-based questions. The best way to prepare for meaning-based questions is to really understand modifiers. The placement of modifiers can greatly impact the meaning of the sentence. Example: The patient was given new medication for high blood pressure by a doctor. [is the doctor causing high blood pressure?] The SC questions you get from the GMATPrep Exams (http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx) will give you the best view of what SC questions you should expect to see on the GMAT.

Lastly, focus your preparation at the 600 level. You shouldn't worry about 700 level questions until you are completely confident on the questions you see at the 600 level. Too many people get caught up preparing for really hard questions that they may never see because they aren't fully competent on lower-level questions first.

Good luck!

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: How to Best Nail The SC Section Within a Month   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2012, 21:17