Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to build up speed for Quant Section.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

How to build up speed for Quant Section. [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 07:51
Hi,

I am midway in my preparation. Its been almost 4 weeks now since i started preparing seriously and so far i have invested around more than 50 hrs total , 2 hrs on week days and 6-8 hrs on weekends. I took the GMAT Prep and had a poor 540 . I feel confident on the verbal part, even though i have to dig at SC and CR to take the verbal score to some level of sanity. But my concern is with the Quant. I have been working on the Qaunt part and most of my hours are spend on going through the OG 11 and then going through the MGMAT strategy guides.

My problem is, i know the subject but when its come to application i am not getting it right, specially the DS ones. I am running out of ideas as to what needs to be done further. The other problem which i am facing is keeping the pace and finishing in 75 mins. I feel, iam rushing things at the end and in the process making silly mistakes . I took the GMATPrep2 Quant and i scored a mere 22/37 and when i went through the incorrect questions, i realised i could solve 14 out of the 15 correctly , so it seems solving within 2 mins seems to be my nemesis. Going further, i wnated to know, how can i develop speed and shortcuts to concepts and apply it suitably.

I am planning to take up the online GMAC or Self Study Guide MGMAT . I would appreciate if people who have taken the online course lend thier advice and suggestions as to which one should be more helpful for me, given my sorry state of affairs. GMAC or MGMAT. What else can i do to boost up my speed.. I am planing to take my GMAT in 3rd week of Jan and i need to build up my Quant to 47-48.. Iam working fulltime and can devote 2-3 hrs on weekdays and 6-8 hrs on weekends...
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: How to build up speed for Quant Section. [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 11:08
Can someone throw some light here .... waiting for inputs from exp folks who have taken the exam and also people who are just ablout to take the exam ..
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: How to build up speed for Quant Section. [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 14:13
Have you taken any tests that are untimed? If so, how did you do?

What types of mistakes are you making with DS? DS has its own quirks and you have to watch out for them.

You have to make sure you're not answering sufficient for a statement when you're bringing in info from the other statement. So you answer A or B but the answer should be C. Things like that are easy to do.

Also, is there a particular math concept that is proving to be more difficult for you? have you purchased, or do you have access to the GMATClub Question bank?

rishi4you wrote:
Can someone throw some light here .... waiting for inputs from exp folks who have taken the exam and also people who are just ablout to take the exam ..

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: How to build up speed for Quant Section. [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 14:44
Yes I have taken the GMAT Club tests and have given the first 3 tests and scored 16/37, 15/37 and 19/37 respectively. In DS questions, i tend to get lost with basic concepts..thing which otherwise i would pick it right . I am missing basically how to eliminate or rather how to relate to the stem of the question..perhaps i need more practice and some careful error handling to do when i make a mistake ..

What do you guys suggest to do to pick up on the DS portion
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [1] , given: 32

Re: How to build up speed for Quant Section. [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
Don't worry about DS. It's really tricky.

Here is what I suggest for DS approach.

There are two main forms of questions: Yes/No question and "Find The Answer" questions.

In the Yes/No questions, you get a statement in the stem, then a question such as "Is x positive?" followed by the statements. The key to this question is that the information in the statement must remain true as you work the problem (such as if Statement 1 says x+y is < 5. you cannot use any other value for x+y that will sum greater than 5) and if you can answer the question Yes, it must be ALWAYS YES or ALWAYS NO for the statement to be sufficient.

The "FIND THE ANSWER" types are a bit easier, in my opinion. You might get a question that says "x + y = z" What is x?

(1) y = 4
(2) z is equal to one half of y.

Here, we have 3 variables, so we need to know at least 2 of them. Only together do we know y & z so then we have enough information to answer the question. The actual answer DOES NOT MATTER, it only matters that we have enough information to answer the question.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and post. Hope this little bit helps.

rishi4you wrote:
Yes I have taken the GMAT Club tests and have given the first 3 tests and scored 16/37, 15/37 and 19/37 respectively. In DS questions, i tend to get lost with basic concepts..thing which otherwise i would pick it right . I am missing basically how to eliminate or rather how to relate to the stem of the question..perhaps i need more practice and some careful error handling to do when i make a mistake ..

What do you guys suggest to do to pick up on the DS portion

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How to build up speed for Quant Section.   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2008, 14:57