Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Calculate GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to Calculate GPA [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 23:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am an Indian engineering student.The GPA system is not followed in my university.I would like to know how to calculate my GPA from my percentage score.

In my university the ranking is as below

1. 40-49.99% -Pass Class
2. 50-54.99% -Second Class
3. 55-59.99% -Higher Second Class ( my score is some where in this range)
4. 60-65.99% -First Class
5. 66% Above -Distinction

Unlike other universities avg. percentage is less scored is less than that acheived by students of other universities. Infact in some universities a percentage of 75-80% is considered to be average.While in my university which is the one of the oldest and prestigious univeristies in India only 5-6% people get above 66%.
What I would also like to know is that ,is GPA calculated only on the basis of marks or the level of univeristy is also considered.?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: How to Calculate GPA [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 21:07
Expert's post
khurman wrote:
I am an Indian engineering student.The GPA system is not followed in my university.I would like to know how to calculate my GPA from my percentage score.

In my university the ranking is as below

1. 40-49.99% -Pass Class
2. 50-54.99% -Second Class
3. 55-59.99% -Higher Second Class ( my score is some where in this range)
4. 60-65.99% -First Class
5. 66% Above -Distinction

Unlike other universities avg. percentage is less scored is less than that acheived by students of other universities. Infact in some universities a percentage of 75-80% is considered to be average.While in my university which is the one of the oldest and prestigious univeristies in India only 5-6% people get above 66%.
What I would also like to know is that ,is GPA calculated only on the basis of marks or the level of univeristy is also considered.?

The reputation of the university, especially if it is a well-known one, is defintely considered. If you want to have your transcript evaluated, you can for a fee have it done at http://www.ece.org or http://www.wes.org .

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Last edited by Accepted.com on 20 Jul 2004, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2004, 11:35
The prestige of the institution is considered to some extent, but do not forget that there are dozens of well-respected universities in the world and they (collectively) produce tens of thousands of potential MBA applicants per year.

Which institution did you attend?

Best,

Hjort