Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to consistanly increase Verbal 21 to 31-35

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to consistanly increase Verbal 21 to 31-35 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 18:53
Dear Players,

I am so disappointed with my recent GMAT score(GMAT 540) after my third try (570), which was one month ago. My main issue is with verbal. I started my first GMAT verbal scores with 15 (GMAT 490, 2010). I increased it from 15 to 17(520) in the second GMAT (2011). After a one year gap, I reached 21(GMAT 570, 2012) One month ago. Unfortunately, I scored 20 (GMAT 540 2013). Here is the trap:

I scored a 29 in verbal GMAT prep (GMAT 590) and a 31 in two GMAT MANHATTAN PREPS (GMAT 590, GMAT 610). Therefore, I thought I can reach the same score in real GMAT exam. I wanted to be at least over 600. In my third GMAT, I could reach score 48 in Math. I though if I could reach 31 in verbal as I had done several times in my preps, and if I could reach a score 48 in math at the same time, I would be in a safe zone. However, I could never score 31 in the third and forth GMAT exams. I score 21(GMAT 570), and 20 (GMAT 540).

Now here I am, I am very disappointed. I will not have a good chance in my PhD applications as American universities are so intense about the GMAT minimum required scores. Moreover, I have taken four times GMAT, but none of them have been a good one. I think they might think I cant do well at all in GMAT. Even worse, I did worse my last GMAT than previous one.

Realistically, do I have any chance now? Will business schools consider the best scores among your previous GMAT scores or I am totally out of the game now? Why cant I improve significantly my verbal score after reading all these books and programs? (I have not taken any classes so far)

_10 sessions recorded MANHATTAN GMAT on-line classes.
_solved OG Blue(Verbal) and Green(13th) in time-set condition. (Mostly check for wrong answer once).
(I recorded my responded in Manhattan OG Archer. However, I did not go further with this on-line software ti work strategically on my weaknesses.
_9 Manhattan books (SC and RC twice).
_Kaplan GMAT verbal workbook. (except the last test)
_BIBLE Critical Reasoning
_GMAT For Dummies
_2 prep GMAT and 4 Manhattan prep

I studied since October 2012 to 14 Dec 2013(exam day) got 570. I studied slightly for one month and took GMAT on 15 Jan 2013 and got 540.

Help me!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to consistanly increase Verbal 21 to 31-35 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 22:00
Expert's post
Hi sedamin,

You should not loose hope, I raised my score from 550 to 750... I too had to work really hard on my verbal.

For verbal from 21 to 35 is like rising to a whole new level. Good news is that you can do so...

You have not mentioned your Quant score so may not be able to comment on your quant strategy.

First as you have taken many practice tests, find our what are your pain areas and go through the solutions thoroughly. Improving on verbal takes a longer time than on Maths. Your goal should be to get every thing out of the question you got incorrect, spend a good amount of time analyzing the solutions.

Go through the foundations books on verbal, I found MGMAT books useful. It's good that you have finished the OG 13 under timed conditions, but have you analysed all the OG 13 solutions. OG is to be used as a bible and mastered thoroughly to achieve a good score. When you are done with OG, you can do other questions. While I was building my concepts, I took around 30 minutes to analyze the solution of a single SC or CR question in OG.

Most (almost all) schools will look at your highest GMAT score. When do you plan to take the next GMAT ? I would advise you to study and practice consistently for 3-4 months in order to see a drastic change in your scores.

If you have any specific question, I will be glad to help you..

Hope it helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to consistanly increase Verbal 21 to 31-35 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 00:06
Thanks for your comment, I am surprised that you could rise your score from what I am now to such a high level. You give me hope here.
I did not mention my math strategy because I usually did it fine. I started with 44(1th GMAT), raised to 45(2th GMAT), then reached 48(3th GMAT). But, went down to 44(4th GMAT). I even could reach to 49 in a GMAT PREP. For Math I only took MANHATTAN 5 math books and what ever other books had about. However, as you might see, my issue was that I could not hold my scores consistently in the highest level especially in verbal. I don't know why I did so differently in PREPs (v=31) and real GMAT tests(v=21)
As the majority of deadlines are almost passed, I don't have chance to take another one at least soon. Moreover, I am out of budget.
Hopefully I can get admission in one of these business schools. I really have chosen them realistically based on my strengths and weaknesses. But, if it does not work, as you said I really need to spend lots of time to check answers. Therefore, I will retake GMAT next year.
I really need to learn from you because you are showing something I need to be. Hope we can be in touch more.
Thanks,
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to consistanly increase Verbal 21 to 31-35 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 00:20
Expert's post
Hi sedamin,

I will be glad to help you. If you get admission this time, nothing like it. However if need to take the GMAT again then finish it off soon, do not wait for next year.

All the best

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: How to consistanly increase Verbal 21 to 31-35   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2013, 00:20