Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 639 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 02:36
I think a fair way to calculate would be something like this. My BE was from Anna University. The pass mark was 50% and 75% is considered distinction. My understanding about the US GPA is that 2.75 is the minimum required GPA for passing and 4 is the maximum possible. So from this correlation

\frac{Indian Percentage-50}{75-50} = \frac{US GPA-2.75}{4-2.75}

\frac{Indian Percentage-50}{25} = \frac{US GPA-2.75}{1.25}

Indian Percentage-50 = (US GPA-2.75)*20 = 20*USGPA - 55

USGPA = \frac{Indian Percentage + 5}{20}

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 07:11
McFauz as per your grading system anything above 75% would be equivalent to 4 GPA , which may be true for your university but certainly not for all Indian universities.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 639 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 07:20
AbhiJ wrote:
McFauz as per your grading system anything above 75% would be equivalent to 4 GPA , which may be true for your university but certainly not for all Indian universities.

Hmmm... I understand... My percentage in my BE was 70. .7*4 = 2.8. I do not think this is a fair reflection at all... 3.75 on the other hand seems fair...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [2] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS
MacFauz wrote:
I think a fair way to calculate would be something like this. My BE was from Anna University. The pass mark was 50% and 75% is considered distinction. My understanding about the US GPA is that 2.75 is the minimum required GPA for passing and 4 is the maximum possible. So from this correlation

\frac{Indian Percentage-50}{75-50} = \frac{US GPA-2.75}{4-2.75}

\frac{Indian Percentage-50}{25} = \frac{US GPA-2.75}{1.25}

Indian Percentage-50 = (US GPA-2.75)*20 = 20*USGPA - 55

USGPA = \frac{Indian Percentage + 5}{20}

I have spoken to quite a few admission consultants, admission ambassadors, current & ex students , and all have been saying that the Adcoms are well aware of the dynamics of scoring in most Indian systems (Engineering, IIT Non IIT, Buisness schools, Medical schools etc) and consider your performance relative to that. I have been advised to stay away from calculating my GPA (converting my Percentage to GPA) and leave the judging of my performance to the adcoms who have a fairly decent idea of what is good and what is bad.

Quote:
Hmmm... I understand... My percentage in my BE was 70. .7*4 = 2.8. I do not think this is a fair reflection at all... 3.75 on the other hand seems fair...

The adcoms would most likely not bother converting your academic score , They will evaluate your transcripts and your stellar GMAT score and then form a picture of your academic level. 70% is a very very good score in most Engineering colleges in India, and one can say that it would be a 3.75 or higher but i dont think we should bother much about where we stand compared to the US scale. One area where GPA could matter is in getting scholarships where your academic performance is weighted against other candidates to determine who gets how much..

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:14
I was searching algorithms to convert gpa (one country to another country) and fortunately i found this post which has much knowledge and guidelines about this process. GPA Scale is really unique and informative post you shared with us.

Hanging Scales

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 10:57
Very useful thread that gives a fair idea about converting GPA. As a baseline I understood, don't scratch or overburden your head by converting GPA /Percentage/CGPA, let the Admission team judge your performance. :)
Thanks all for sharing the information.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.75
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 02:21
Our calculations and algorithm's don't matter. Its totally up to the Admissions Team to convert the GPA.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 06:55
I don't agree that 60-100% should be a 4.0 GPA. In most courses, an Indian student who has scored 60% does not deserve a 4.0 GPA.

Also, the post mentioning 75% being equal to a 2.75 GPA is ridiculous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 10:32
its best not to be worrried about gpa conversions cause there are so many versions of it :).

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 06:12
GMAT official exam uses this first table conversion.. In that case, Certain colleges evaluate very stringently and i have landed up in a 60 sumthing % ... my GPA comes to a 1 point sumthin shocker :O what to do?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:51
Ok. so bottom line is don't convert you GPA to 4.0 scale.
However, I want to evaluate the competitiveness of my application to a b school. I want to know if the top schools will definitely reject me because of my GPA. where does a 6.5/10 stand (pass=4,avg=6)? is this at least near a 3/4 GPA?
Intern
Intern
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 06:09
vomhorizon wrote:
This has been freaking me out as well. A while back when i started to prep for my GMAT i asked a friend who has been an admission consultant for a few years to give me a ballpark figure on what my scores would mean in a GPA scale. She gave me a 3.65, so i was quite happy. I now look at some of the scales mentioned in the original post and see that my 67.5% is Almost 1.3 :-).... No way can this be correct for i graduated in the top 10 of my class earning a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree from a reputable Medical college (tons of alumni in eminent positions in the US) and graduated top of my Post graduation class (M.D. University topper)..The person who topped our class of 150, and ranked in the top 20 in the nation (in medical entrances) would not break a 3.0 in the GPA scale :-).. I do not think most universities would be naive to simply convert Indian GPA's according to some of the charts provided in the original post ( Either the one which puts me @ 1.3 or the one that gives me a 4).

I am considering applying to Duke, and Duke along with many other top universities in the US has a presence in India, have offices (sometimes multiple) in India, have alumni offices here etc.. I am sure they constantly seek advise from these offices in India and in fact make them run a scan on Indian universities and their scoring system once they get applications..

One of the universities i am looking to apply for does accept raw transcripts (in percentage) but does want a GPA in the application - Should i use WES to convert my GPA and attach their report along with my application ??

Dear Sir,
pls help me!!… similar situation!!

I’m registering for GMAT on mba.com and need to submit GPA.

I completed my undergraduation with 61% from Kanpur university . I've just 5% less than university topper, but while registering for GMAT ,according to their conversion scale given, my GPA comes out to be 1.9.

It sounds very low on the GPA-percentage scale that they have given..

However, I got my GPA calculated by WES (World Education Services), which came out to be 3.71. Should i write this GPA?
Even if i leave the option blank, GMAT again asks for the GPA on the test day after the completion of the test. What should i do then?

Please help and advise !
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2014, 06:09