Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to crush the sentence correction section?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

How to crush the sentence correction section? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 14:41
I have been doing very well with the RC and CR questions contained in the OG verbal guide yet I have not been able to excel in the sentence correction portion of the book. Does anyone have suggestions or resources that they would be willing to recommend? Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2007, 07:56
I'd say that SC is the toughest area on the GMAT to get the most questions right. In the quant, you can at least check you answers in most cases, and often times there is more than one way to answer the question. This gives you a bit of fail safe.

In RC, the questions are able to be answered 90% of the time directly by wording in the text. CR questions if correct, are air tight. However on SC, you can never be 100% sure of your answers. Sometimes the best you can do is just narrow it down between two choices. This is even true for test takers that score 750+.

GMAT knows this and weighs the SC questions appropriately. You can get 5-6 wrong and still get a 40+ score, provided that you minimize mistakes in RC and CR. Also, in verbal it is imperative that you finish the section. Leaving a few blank will severely damage your score.

Be careful of hard and fast grammar rules... GMAT tries to make it seem like a sentence should follow a rule, when in reality it doesn't. For example:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24528&highlight=supreme+court+unconstitutional

Look how many people got it wrong because they thought a simple grammar rule would led them to the answer.

The thing that helps me the most on SC is realizing that in the wrong answer choices, most often, at least 2 things will be wrong. Take the previous example: the question is testing modifiers, and the logical meaning of the sentence. If you are focusing on just one aspect of the sentence and you can't get the right answer, try a different approach.

So... don't really worry about crushing the SC, it's extremely tough to do. Maximize your right answers in RC and CR and you'll do fine.
  [#permalink] 06 Jun 2007, 07:56