Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Theoryx   
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618738 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: How to draw a Venn Diagram for problems [#permalink]
Expert Reply
manhattan187 wrote:
Great explanation!

Its amazing how complex word problems can come down to simple solutions (after you learn the step by step process, of course!)

1 - (88+53+58)-3(6) = 181

2 - (150-6) = 144

(1)-(2) =37.

For overlapping sets check the following posts:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Solution should be 27, not 37...but the explanation is great, and it's easy to follow!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Love your work. Can you post for examples of venn diagram since I've found it very often in real test :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618738 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
tringuyenminh293 wrote:
Love your work. Can you post for examples of venn diagram since I've found it very often in real test :)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Loved the explanation. See the attachment: this is how I approached this question.
Attachments

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg [ 131.26 KiB | Viewed 3828 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
So. I realized I love Venn Diagrams (Yes, I'm a nerd, but who cares?). I've explained a lot of problems using Venn Diagrams and a forum user PMed me to explain how I drew my Venn Diagrams since he was getting confused with them. I am posting this as an informal and rough guide to how I visualize problems that make use of Venn Diagrams.

Here's the question he asked:

At a certain school, each of the 150 students takes between 1 and 3 classes. The 3 classes available are Math, Chemistry and English. 53 students study math, 88 study chemistry and 58 study english. If 6 students take all 3 classes, how many take exactly 2 classes?
A. 37
B. 43
C. 45
D. 60

Step 1: Deconstruction

This is where you extract the given information from a problem. Use a symbol for each section given to you. I usually use the first letter in caps. Please remember at this point that any number specified without explicitly mentioning that it's "exactly" or "only" for a certain subject is not to be taken so.

For instance, in this case, it says 53 math students. This doesn't mean students who are taking only 1 subject (Math). This could include students who are taking Math and Chemistry or Math and English or all three too. So now break down the numbers given to us.

Total = 150
M (Total) = 53
C (Total) = 88 [Why the hell are people studying more Chemistry than Math?]
E (Total) = 58
MCE = 6

We are asked to find MC + CE + EM.

Step 2: Drawing the diagram

ALWAYS start from the center of the Venn Diagram wherever information is available. This will make life infinitely easier.

In this case, the center is the intersection of all three circles, i.e MCE = 6

So fill that in to the diagram you've drawn.

Attachment:
VD1.jpg

Now that you've gotten that, let's start filling in a variable for each section not known to us. Here, consider each letter to represent only that specific section and not the entire circle or a larger portion.

Attachment:
VD1.jpg

So now that you have the parts filled in, what you need to do is write down what you have in the diagram in terms of numbers. So we are given the totals for each subject.

Look at math first. There are four types of people taking math (each group of these people mutually exclusive, and not in common with any other group)
1. Only math: a
2. Math and Chemistry: y
3. Math and English: x
4. All three: 6

So now represent this as a sum and you get

\(a+x+y+6 = 53\) and hence \(a+x+y = 47\)

Similarly for the other subjects you get:
\(b+x+z+6 = 58\) and hence \(b+x+z = 52\)

\(c+y+z+6\) = 88 and hence \(c+y+z = 82\)

And then you have the total:
\(x+y+z+a+b+c+6=150\) and hence \(x+y+z+a+b+c = 144\)

Step 3: Solution

This is perhaps the most intuitive part, but in my experience the first part of this step is the same in all overlapping sets problem. It's only what's asked for that's different.

Add all the individual equations together to get a combined equation with all the variables and a number.

So you get:
\(2(x+y+z) + a+b+c = 47+52+82 = 181\)

Rearranging this to get \(a+b+c\)we get \(a+b+c = 181 - 2(x+y+z)\)

Substitute this into the total equation we derived earlier saying \(x+y+z+a+b+c = 144\) so you get:

\(x+y+z+181 - 2(x+y+z)= 144\)

Upon rearranging this you get:

\(x+y+z = 181-144 = 37\)which is option A the right answer.

Hope this helps some of you! :) Please post a reply if there's anything else you want to know about my explanation or anything else.

Really helpful. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
How to draw a Venn Diagram for problems [#permalink]
whiplash2411 wrote:
So. I realized I love Venn Diagrams (Yes, I'm a nerd, but who cares?). I've explained a lot of problems using Venn Diagrams and a forum user PMed me to explain how I drew my Venn Diagrams since he was getting confused with them. I am posting this as an informal and rough guide to how I visualize problems that make use of Venn Diagrams.

Here's the question he asked:

At a certain school, each of the 150 students takes between 1 and 3 classes. The 3 classes available are Math, Chemistry and English. 53 students study math, 88 study chemistry and 58 study english. If 6 students take all 3 classes, how many take exactly 2 classes?
A. 37
B. 43
C. 45
D. 60

Step 1: Deconstruction

This is where you extract the given information from a problem. Use a symbol for each section given to you. I usually use the first letter in caps. Please remember at this point that any number specified without explicitly mentioning that it's "exactly" or "only" for a certain subject is not to be taken so.

For instance, in this case, it says 53 math students. This doesn't mean students who are taking only 1 subject (Math). This could include students who are taking Math and Chemistry or Math and English or all three too. So now break down the numbers given to us.

Total = 150
M (Total) = 53
C (Total) = 88 [Why the hell are people studying more Chemistry than Math?]
E (Total) = 58
MCE = 6

We are asked to find MC + CE + EM.

Step 2: Drawing the diagram

ALWAYS start from the center of the Venn Diagram wherever information is available. This will make life infinitely easier.

In this case, the center is the intersection of all three circles, i.e MCE = 6

So fill that in to the diagram you've drawn.

Attachment:
VD1.jpg

Now that you've gotten that, let's start filling in a variable for each section not known to us. Here, consider each letter to represent only that specific section and not the entire circle or a larger portion.

Attachment:
VD1.jpg

So now that you have the parts filled in, what you need to do is write down what you have in the diagram in terms of numbers. So we are given the totals for each subject.

Look at math first. There are four types of people taking math (each group of these people mutually exclusive, and not in common with any other group)
1. Only math: a
2. Math and Chemistry: y
3. Math and English: x
4. All three: 6

So now represent this as a sum and you get

\(a+x+y+6 = 53\) and hence \(a+x+y = 47\)

Similarly for the other subjects you get:
\(b+x+z+6 = 58\) and hence \(b+x+z = 52\)

\(c+y+z+6\) = 88 and hence \(c+y+z = 82\)

And then you have the total:
\(x+y+z+a+b+c+6=150\) and hence \(x+y+z+a+b+c = 144\)

Step 3: Solution

This is perhaps the most intuitive part, but in my experience the first part of this step is the same in all overlapping sets problem. It's only what's asked for that's different.

Add all the individual equations together to get a combined equation with all the variables and a number.

So you get:
\(2(x+y+z) + a+b+c = 47+52+82 = 181\)

Rearranging this to get \(a+b+c\)we get \(a+b+c = 181 - 2(x+y+z)\)

Substitute this into the total equation we derived earlier saying \(x+y+z+a+b+c = 144\) so you get:

\(x+y+z+181 - 2(x+y+z)= 144\)

Upon rearranging this you get:

\(x+y+z = 181-144 = 37\)which is option A the right answer.

Hope this helps some of you! :) Please post a reply if there's anything else you want to know about my explanation or anything else.

Cant we just do (53+88+58) - 150 = 49

49 - 3*6

49-18
= 37
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts