Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to enrich very common profile (Indian S/W engg)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

how to enrich very common profile (Indian S/W engg) [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 00:58
Hi Scott/Omari

I have very common profile of Indian Software Engg. I am pasting the same below.

I am willing to apply for full time MBA program in US (International Business or Information Technology are preferred... but no compulsion)

Please evaluate my profile and provide some tips that will make me stand "out of pool" in the eyes of Top B Schools.

Job Title: Senior Software Engineer.

PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY

•Total over 2+ year of experience in the IT industry on Java, E-Commerce Technologies.
•Experienced in all phases of software development life cycle including analysis, program design, development, debugging, testing, implementation, maintenance and documentation.
•Currently working as Tech Lead.
•Defined the lifecycle processes of offshore – Onsite model from the team, which were appreciated greatly in the organization.
•SUN CERTIFIED JAVA PROGRAMMER (Exam 310-035).

EDUCATION

Bachelor of Engineering (Information Technology)in May 2003 with 70.50%(Distinction.)
Distinction = Highest passing grade.

GMAT: 710 (94 percentile)
Q 49 (90 percentile)
V 38 (85 percentile)

OTHER ACTIVITES

•Active member of We-Care... non-profit based organization that helps orphans, animals and environment.
•Active member of Shiker... inter-organization trekking group. Arranges and enjoyed many treks around Sahyadri mountains.
•Has been Cultural Secretary of Engineering college (WIT, Solapur) for the year 2002-03
•Won many intercollegiate cultural events on district level under my tenure as a Cultural Secretary
•Has been Magazine Secretary and chief Editor of WITNESS-02 annual magazine of WIT, Solapur for the year 2001-02
•WITNESS-02 won first prize in Shivaji University and consolation prize in State level magazine competition.
•Won many prizes including but now only best Article, Best drawing, Best front-page design, elocution, debate at college, school, interschool and inter college level.
•As a member of WIT Student’s council organized, coordinated and hosted many programs like Annual gathering, Traditional Day, Art-Exhibition, and many more
•Active member of many college and city committees including Computer Club, ISTE Student’s chapter, Spic-Macay, Art Exhibition, Jain Engineers’ Association.

I know this is too common profile. So also let me know what I should do to enrich my profile. ( I have about an year to do this )

Thanks in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 14:25
Expert's post
First, let me say that I think it's great that you're thinking NOW about how to stand out from a very crowded applicant pool!

A couple of thoughts on how you can differentiate yourself and otherwise strengthen your profile:

* Look for leadership opportunities at work. (You mentioned "tech Lead," but I don't know if that means you manage people.) Ideally you can actually lead some teams and manage some people, but if not, that's play. More generally, remember this definition of leadership: Someone who makes a positive impact on the world around him, no matter what his title or position is.

* The same goes for community involvement. You mentioned that you're an "active member" of those organizations, but even better is taking a leadership role -- creating or running an event, recruiting new members, etc. Again, think about making a positive impact, rather than just "showing up" to events.

* Those other activities are valuable in that they'll help you discuss your interests in your essays and interview. But (again) the stories where you can talk about how your led something or made something happen (rather than winning an award) will be much more valuable.

I think you're off to a good start. Just look for ways to make an even greater impact.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 18:35
Thanks scott for a great advice

I can for sure look for more of a leadership role in community involvement.

But couple of problems.

At work it needs about 5 years of work experience to become a lead who manages people (I have only 2+ years of exp)

However I took initiative in defining complete lifecycle processes for my project. The project work was very unorganized before I started working on it. This thing was highly appreciated by my manager. Also I took couple of more initiatives of such kind for other projects also. These thing made me get entry in interview panel of the company (which generally consists of people who are team leads) Will that be helpfull to demonstrate leadership activity??? I think I led to something happen in this case as you said. But it is difficult for me to get leadership role where people will directly report me (for at lease 3 more years).

Also as a Magazine Secretary in college I managed a big team of 140 students and 10 professors for a magazine having 10 sections and about 250 pages. I was literally responsible for each and every page. Again my work impressed Principal and trustee of college which evetually led me to bag post of Cultural Secretary. I am the only student of college who was elected on students' council on these two prestigious roles. Both the post demands great amound of leadership skills and I proved myself there. However this is about 4 years back in college.
Do you think I can cash on these things in my essays?

thanks again :)
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 19:36
Expert's post
The first example that you mentioned is great. As I mentioned, even you can't get an official leadership title, that's okay. Taking the initiative and making things happen (without being asked) is a great way to show leadership.

You can mention your college experience, too, but adcomms will be much more interested in your more recent experiences on the job.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2006, 09:52
Thanks a ton scott for help!!! :-D