Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to figure out the purpose of the passage?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

How to figure out the purpose of the passage? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 02:07
How to figure out the purpose of the passage?

I mean the various terms as contrast, reconcile, clarify, support, critique, explain, describe, discuss, evaluate

And the subjects:-

theory, methodology, scheme, study, research, methods...

I mean I am able to distinguish 70-80% times, but on a few occasions, it is very perplexing for eg. the passage tries to explain the importance of innovations by Florentine in the field of nursing... a statement which looks quite true but is incorrect. Perhaps, I am not comprehending the way I should.
How can you tell whether the passage has a theory or a methodology or a scheme, etc...
And is it contrasting, or, critiquing, etc..
I have done 20 odd passages so far and have been able to make out in 70% cases. Sometimes, the language or the confusion between two choices does me in.

Please, if anyone can help. CR is a big bane already.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 611

Kudos [?]: 2401 [0], given: 714

Re: How to figure out the purpose of the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 01:49
Expert's post
These 2 videos helped me a lot and others also vouch for it.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
Look for:
August 19, 2010:
Reading Comprehension: Long Passages & Main Idea Questions
January 6, 2011:
Reading Comprehension: A Trick for Finding the Main Idea Data Sufficiency: Number Line problems, part 1

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 2237 [0], given: 690

Re: How to figure out the purpose of the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 03:00
Expert's post
For me the best strategy is to read the entire passage. if you do this is almost impossible do not find the main idea

remember: science passage generally DESCRIBE something, instead social science ARGUE something

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: How to figure out the purpose of the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 16:29
carcass wrote:
For me the best strategy is to read the entire passage. if you do this is almost impossible do not find the main idea

remember: science passage generally DESCRIBE something, instead social science ARGUE something

;)

souvik101990 wrote:
These 2 videos helped me a lot and others also vouch for it.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
Look for:
August 19, 2010:
Reading Comprehension: Long Passages & Main Idea Questions
January 6, 2011:
Reading Comprehension: A Trick for Finding the Main Idea Data Sufficiency: Number Line problems, part 1

Thanks both of you..... Hey gmatclubot - why do you keep showing your ass every time..no actually u are showing your fat tummy :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How to figure out the purpose of the passage? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 10:01
I still get the main purpose of the passage wrong every time and my Gmat is on Monday. Really worried on how to improve here.
Expert Post
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 2237 [0], given: 690

Re: How to figure out the purpose of the passage? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 11:43
Expert's post
aakrity wrote:
I still get the main purpose of the passage wrong every time and my Gmat is on Monday. Really worried on how to improve here.

60% of the time the main idea is there: in the first sentences of the first paragraph or in its entierly.

20% in the second

20% in the third or following

I suggest you you to read the entire passage as whole ( do not focus too much on the details though). After this the main idea almost always jumps as you go through the answer choices.

Good luck

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Re: How to figure out the purpose of the passage?   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2013, 11:43