Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to find the right job after an MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: University of Rochester (Simon) - Class of 2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

How to find the right job after an MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 09:36
I’m currently working @ Citi, and just enrolled in a part-time MBA program at a top 25ish MBA school. I plan to specialize in Finance, but then what ? Of course the next step is to look for a better job with higher pay, but in what specifically ? Finance is such a broad field, and to be honest, I have no idea what kind of job I’d want upon graduation. Maybe I can answer my own question – take electives that I’m strongly interested in and would like to pursue upon graduation ? Any feedback would be appreciated. I understand this is a broad question.

Most people who complete their MBA are much older than I am and already know what they plan on doing: either enhance their career or to do a complete 180. I’m only 24 so I guess that’s why I’m still uncertain. I work in the Operations side of the bank but have no intention of staying in this field long-term. I graduated under-grad in Finance.

Equities Analyst Middle Office- Citigroup
MBA - Finance
University of Rochester - Simon School of Business (2013)

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 606 [0], given: 114

Re: How to find the right job after an MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 10:11
Well I think first you need to decide exactly what you'd like to do. And second, see if your current company may have what you're looking for. It is possible that over your first 2 years or so you will get a much better idea of what you'd like to do. From then, you can decide if you'd like to stay with your company, and if there are any opportunities for you there. If not, some programs offer an option for people JUST like you. It's a program where you actually leave your job after the first two years of classes, you take on an internship in your new desired area (just like the full timers will be doing), and then do that last year (6-9 months) full time. Then you either start a full time job with your intership company, or move onto bigger and better things in the area you have now realized you love, and you'll have a great story of how you've come to love the job they're offering. These programs are designed for the people that want to do a full 180 turn. They obviously need that intership experience, but can't get it at their current company. You would be the person only making the 90 degree turn. Plus you'll have 2 more years of work experience compared to someone else your age with an MBA.

I would definitely consult with the career center at your school, and see if they have any ideas for you too. Also, open up a line of communication with your manager towards the end of those first 2 years. You will need to read the employee handbook also, because often times they have rules about switching groups within the company.

Good luck! I think you will quickly have some great ideas of some areas you might see yourself in. And who knows, maybe they'll be with Citi.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: How to find the right job after an MBA? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 09:49
You are investing a lot of time in education without a clear plan. This would scare me personally. Why? Without an end goal in sight you can just spend that money on education without a corresponding return on investment.

Finance is very broad field. However, this field can be broken out in a few sectors when you are first starting out. Analysis, Operations, Research. Which one do you like the most? More importantly, can you see yourself growing in your current position and is this career growth something you can be happy with?

Another thing you should do is dig up hiring stats on your school. What is your school known for producting? Is it a consultant recruiting driven, is it investment banking? If your school is known for say investment banking then maybe this is something you can look into and gauge whether it is of interest. Its much easier to find a position for a field that the school is known for.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to find the right job after an MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 00:47
To no one’s surprise, the Graduate Management Admission Council reported today that 2011 MBA graduates are having an easier time in the job market than graduates from recent MBA classes. More than half the class of 2011, or 54 percent, received at least one job offer, up from 32 percent last year, according to the report. The finding are based on a survey, conducted in March, of 4,794 recent or soon-to-be graduates at 156 schools around the world.Campus recruiting, a key hiring indicator, has begun to improve and is up about four percentage points from 2010, according to GMAC's Corporate Recruiters Survey, which surveyed 1,509 participants from 905 companies around the world. Another encouraging sign? The average salary employers expect to pay business graduates has inched up this year to $91,433, up from $89,141 last year and $86,299 in 2009.
Re: How to find the right job after an MBA?   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2012, 00:47