Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
945 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1036 [945] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
Guide to Perfect 6.0 AWA GMAT Score

Related AWA Resources:

I took the GMAT twice and scored 6.0 each time. I did put a lot of time in it the first time....too much actually. Being a non-native speaker and having not written a damn essay (of any kind) in many many years, I was very scared of the AWA. So, I went through every guide that I could find and wrote nearly 25-30 essays. Even had a friend grade them for me.....Pathetic, huh?

Anyway, for my second time, I just looked over my templates I created and wrote one of each the day before test just to refresh my memory on faster typing without making too many typos......

So, here it is....Enjoy, and please do not blame me if the 6.0 percentile goes down to 80 soon :-D

AWA GUIDE

by Chineseburned

1. General Structure

Intro - Restate argument, point out flaws or state intention to discuss them below
1st Para - First,...
2nd Para - Second/In addition,...
3rd Para - Third/Finally,...
Conclusion - The argument is flawed/weak/unconvincing because of the above -mentioned...Ultimately, the argument can be strengthened if/by...

2. Structural Word (should be all over the essays)

1. Supporting examples - for example, to illustrate, for instance, because, specifically
  2. Additional support - furthermore, in addition, similarly, just as, also, as a result, moreover
  3. Importance - surely, truly, undoubtedly, clearly, in fact, most importantly
  4. Contrast - on the contrary, yet, despite, rather, instead, however, although, while
  5. Decide against - one cannot deny that, it could be argued that, granted, admittedly
  6. Ying-yang - on the one hand/on the other hand
  7. Concluding - therefore, in summary, consequently, hence, in conclusion, ultimately, in closing

3. Templates

Intro:
The argument claims that ....(restate)
Stated in this way the argument:
a) manipulates facts and conveys a distorted view of the situation
b) reveals examples of leap of faith, poor reasoning and ill-defined terminology
c) fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated
The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is weak/unconvincing and has several flaws.

1st Para:
First, the argument readily assumes that......
This statement is a stretch....
For example,...
Clearly,...
The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly stated that...

2nd Para:
Second, the argument claims that....
This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between....and...
To illustrate,...
While,...
However,....indeed....
In fact, it is not at all clear...rather....
If the argument had provided evidence that.....then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

3rd Para:
Finally,...
(pose some questions for the argument).....Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts....
In order to assess the merits of a certain situation/decision, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors. In this particular case....
Without this information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.

4. Going from the templates to full-fledged essays

ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in the editorial section of a national news magazine:[/b]

"The rating system for electronic games is similar to the movie rating system in that it provides consumers with a quick reference so that they can determine if the subject matter and contents are appropriate. This electronic game rating system is not working because it is self regulated and the fines for violating the rating system are nominal. As a result an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that knowingly violate the rating system should be prohibited from releasing a game for two years."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
Quote:
The argument claims that the electronic games rating system, although similar to the movie rating system, is not working because it is self regulated and violation fines are nominal, Hence, the gaming rating system should be overseen by an independent body. Stated in this way the argument fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion relies on assumptions, for which there is no clear evidence. Therefore, the argument is rather weak, unconvincing, and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes that because the electronic game rating system is self regulated, it is not working well. This statement is a stretch and not substantiated in any way. There are numerous examples in other areas of business or commerce, where the entities are self regulated and rather successful. For instance, FIA, the Formula1 racing organization is self regulated. Yet, the sport is very popular and successful, drawing millions of spectators around the world each year. Tickets are rather expensive, races are shown on pay-per-view, and nearly all drivers are paid very well. Another example is the paralleled movie rating system that the argument mentions. The author fails to clarify whether it is working well, but it is clear that the movie rating system is pretty well received by people, who often base their decisions to go see a movie with kids or not on the movie rating. It has never been a case when someone would feel cheated by the movie rating and express disappointment afterwards. Since the movie rating system is also self regulated, it follows that this regulatory method is working pretty well and it is not obvious how it can be the reason for the poor electronic game rating system. The argument would have been much clearer if it explicitly gave examples of how the self regulatory system led to bad ratings and customer dissatisfaction.

Second, the argument claims that any violation fees for bad electronic game ratings are nominal. It thus suggests that this is yet another reason for the rating system not working. This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between the monetary amount of the fines and the quality of the electronic game rating system. In fact, the argument does not even draw a parallel with the mentioned movie rating system and its violation fines. If any such correlation had been shown for the movie rating system, which supposedly works well, then the author would have sounded a bit more convincing. In addition, if the argument provided evidence that low violation fines lead to electronic game manufacturers to ignore any regulations with respect to the game rating system, the argument could have been strengthened even further.

Finally, the argument concludes that an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that violate the rating system, should be punished. From this statement again, it is not at all clear how an independent regulatory body can do a better job than a self regulated one. Without supporting evidence and examples from other businesses where independent regulatory bodies have done a great job, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence. As a result, this conclusion has no legs to stand on.

In summary, the argument is flawed and therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts. In order to assess the merits of a certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors.

5. Final tips

• During the tutorial type in a few sentences in the mock essay window to get used to the keyboard.
  • Again during the tutorial, jot down on your notebook the basic structure of your essays or the opening sentences in case you get too nervous and forget them when the clock starts ticking.
  • Write as much as you can. Try to write at least 500 words per essay.
  • Always have the e-rater in mind as your potential reviewer. Remember that the human rater will make every effort to grade just like the e-rater. In that sense, keep your structure and volume in mind over actual quality/content.
  • Be careful of spelling mistakes. Double check words that you normally know you misspell (e.g. exercise). Try to finish 2-3 minutes before time is up so you can slowly re-read your essay for the purposes of spell checking. Do not reorganize/delete sentences/paragraphs with less than 2 min left.
  • No matter how great you thought your essays went, try to stay humble and focused - remember this was just a warm-up and the real stuff hasn't started yet!

Good luck!

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Last edited by Vercules on 29 Jan 2013, 03:59, edited 7 times in total.
Removed the Issue part
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 13:10
Still the best template out there, thanks again!

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 00:53
Thank you for the templates. My limited skills and vocabulary in English is not going to deter me from writing the best of Essays on GMAT.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 9

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
I would like to point out that the order is correct in which you receive the essays.. Analysis of an Argument is first, Analysis of an Issue is second. The Princeton Review course and book has these flipped which can confuse someone who's memorizing them in order (happened to me practicing yesterday).
Intern
Intern

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 09:13
great post. Used your tips the first time I wrote and scored a 6.0. I am re writing tomorrow and am using your notes again to do a last minute review! Thank you!
Intern
Intern

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 22:28
Dear Chineseburned,

Great structure. My Kudos to you. A week to go for my exam, I was desperately searching for something like this. I've fortunately found everything under one roof. I'm specially happy, for it matches my style. However, there is one doubt that I'd like to have clarified. In one of the options in the Argument Template, your Introduction goes on to state:

Stated in this way the argument:
a) manipulates facts and conveys a distorted view of the situation ...

My question: Is it okay to take a 'DIRECT AND CONFRONTATIONAL' view like this?

How would a more mild opening (by moderating the tone and tenor) be viewed as?

What if the same sentence is framed as:

Stated in this way, the argument TENDS TO manipulate facts and SEEMS TO convey a distorted view of the situation .....

Would a diplomatic approach be seen as a sign of weakness or indecisiveness on the part of the author?

Or is it that your option is not considered 'direct and confrontational' and the assessors are perfectly comfortable with it.

Wouldn't want to rub the examiner, of all the people, the wrong way! :wink:

PLEASE HELP URGENTLY.

Manish
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 04:25
Thank you very much for this template! I was a little worried about the AWA section until I read this particular thread. After reading the whole thing, I decided to focus more on the other sections and only try to remember you structure the day before the exam. I got 6.0:) Very, very happy about it and could not do it quite so effortlessly without you! Kudos!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 18:44
I used this template and got a 6.0!

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: IEEE
WE 1: 2.5 yrs - Medicaid
WE 2: 2 yrs - Higher Ed

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 06:42
Thanks for the information
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 14:00
i tried to write essays on the same topics. i can't even type them up!!! dont even mention to write them.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead,NTU,NUS
WE 1: 6.5 years in Decision Sciences

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 01:30
Thanks for the valueable info!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 08:21
Got a 5.5 using this template, studying it 2-3 days before the exam
Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 12:01
Hey guys I was wondering if using these templates could result in being accused of plagiarism. I scored very well on my GMAT today (760) and I'm the type of person that always has to be worried about something so since my score is fine I've decided the AWA is what I'm going to worry about.

Specifically, I followed Chineseburned's template to a Tee for both essays, and I think I may have even used a sentence that was nearly word-for-word from the introduction paragraph of his example essay in the original post and I definately used similar formations in the introductory and summary paragraphs of both essays. Will that be a problem? I doubt it would but I just wanted to be sure
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 829 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 12:28
wow !! Great guide.
:-D I m poor at cramming, but I m sure after reading the template 2-3 times before the exam it will be easy for me to remember the structure.

Thanks for the valuable post.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 11:05
Great post. Reading this the day before my GMAT definitely helped me score 6.0. BTW, 6.0 is now 91st percentile. It used to be lower, right?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 13:45
thanks for the awa guide!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 00:53
Super awesome ChineseBurned. I was readily assuming that I dont have to study too much for AWA. I guess I was clearly wrong :P

Good stuff!

WHERE IS THE PASSION?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 07:22
I just received my score report and scored 6.0 in AWA using chineseburned's templates.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 03:15
Dear Chinese burned , i read through your post , made a format and typed an essay . Although i dont know my score yet , the fact that this can enable anyone to learn to type as essay so fast remain incredible.
You sure as hell got yourself a beer (alongwith some kudos ) whenever you re in Mumbai .
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2010, 02:26
radicaltp wrote:
Dear Chinese burned , i read through your post , made a format and typed an essay . Although i dont know my score yet , the fact that this can enable anyone to learn to type as essay so fast remain incredible.
You sure as hell got yourself a beer (alongwith some kudos ) whenever you re in Mumbai .

and i got a 5.5 .thanks again.
Intern
Intern

Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 01:59
Hey bro, just finished Gmat and got 710, think I did well on AWA too- thanks for your idea of making a template- that made my job quite easier. If I get 5.5 or 6 on AWA, will be back to thank u again!! Keep rocking......
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2010, 01:59