Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [6995]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [2]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [4]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
boxx0r wrote:
How long after we write the GMAT do we receive the AWA mark?

Usually 2-3 weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I took the test again. After scoring 5.5 at my first attempt, I scored 6.0 during my second attempt. The guide is really great, because I did not spend much time for preparing for the AWA.

Great forum. Many thanks to the people who keep this platform running.
I have been accepted at LBS and I am more than happy!

Jochen
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Wow! Thanks for the help, Chineseburned. I just received my report .. got a 6.0. I wrote a grand total of 3 essays before the test. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all credit goes to chineseburned. The template totally rocks!
My advice to (advice for? :P ) anyone worried about the A.W.A ... Keep it simple and definitley follow the structure given in the templates. Don't make spelling mistakes and pronoun errors.. theirs/its etc and you shouldn't have any trouble getting a good score. The A.W.A really is the easiest section of the GMAT, especially if you follow this thread.
Thanks again, Chineseburned.

This really is a great site. Good work, admin! I just wish i had found this site early enough to make use of the other tips and advice on the site.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the breakdown. I studied your template literally a day or two before the test and managed to get a 5.5. Not too bad. thx!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Kudos
Just got my official score report, another 6.0!

Thanks a ton chineseburned, I gave you a kudos as that's the best I can do online!

Let me know if you are in DC, I will get you a drink!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Kudos
chineseburned wrote:
Guide to Perfect 6.0 AWA GMAT Score

Related AWA Resources:

I took the GMAT twice and scored 6.0 each time. I did put a lot of time in it the first time....too much actually. Being a non-native speaker and having not written a damn essay (of any kind) in many many years, I was very scared of the AWA. So, I went through every guide that I could find and wrote nearly 25-30 essays. Even had a friend grade them for me.....Pathetic, huh?

Anyway, for my second time, I just looked over my templates I created and wrote one of each the day before test just to refresh my memory on faster typing without making too many typos......

So, here it is....Enjoy, and please do not blame me if the 6.0 percentile goes down to 80 soon :-D

AWA GUIDE

by Chineseburned

1. General Structure

Intro - Restate argument, point out flaws or state intention to discuss them below
1st Para - First,...
2nd Para - Second/In addition,...
3rd Para - Third/Finally,...
Conclusion - The argument is flawed/weak/unconvincing because of the above -mentioned...Ultimately, the argument can be strengthened if/by...

2. Structural Word (should be all over the essays)

1. Supporting examples - for example, to illustrate, for instance, because, specifically
  2. Additional support - furthermore, in addition, similarly, just as, also, as a result, moreover
  3. Importance - surely, truly, undoubtedly, clearly, in fact, most importantly
  4. Contrast - on the contrary, yet, despite, rather, instead, however, although, while
  5. Decide against - one cannot deny that, it could be argued that, granted, admittedly
  6. Ying-yang - on the one hand/on the other hand
  7. Concluding - therefore, in summary, consequently, hence, in conclusion, ultimately, in closing

3. Templates

Intro:
The argument claims that ....(restate)
Stated in this way the argument:
a) manipulates facts and conveys a distorted view of the situation
b) reveals examples of leap of faith, poor reasoning and ill-defined terminology
c) fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated
The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is weak/unconvincing and has several flaws.

1st Para:
First, the argument readily assumes that......
This statement is a stretch....
For example,...
Clearly,...
The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly stated that...

2nd Para:
Second, the argument claims that....
This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between....and...
To illustrate,...
While,...
However,....indeed....
In fact, it is not at all clear...rather....
If the argument had provided evidence that.....then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

3rd Para:
Finally,...
(pose some questions for the argument).....Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts....
In order to assess the merits of a certain situation/decision, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors. In this particular case....
Without this information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.

4. Going from the templates to full-fledged essays

ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in the editorial section of a national news magazine:[/b]

"The rating system for electronic games is similar to the movie rating system in that it provides consumers with a quick reference so that they can determine if the subject matter and contents are appropriate. This electronic game rating system is not working because it is self regulated and the fines for violating the rating system are nominal. As a result an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that knowingly violate the rating system should be prohibited from releasing a game for two years."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
Quote:
The argument claims that the electronic games rating system, although similar to the movie rating system, is not working because it is self regulated and violation fines are nominal, Hence, the gaming rating system should be overseen by an independent body. Stated in this way the argument fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion relies on assumptions, for which there is no clear evidence. Therefore, the argument is rather weak, unconvincing, and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes that because the electronic game rating system is self regulated, it is not working well. This statement is a stretch and not substantiated in any way. There are numerous examples in other areas of business or commerce, where the entities are self regulated and rather successful. For instance, FIA, the Formula1 racing organization is self regulated. Yet, the sport is very popular and successful, drawing millions of spectators around the world each year. Tickets are rather expensive, races are shown on pay-per-view, and nearly all drivers are paid very well. Another example is the paralleled movie rating system that the argument mentions. The author fails to clarify whether it is working well, but it is clear that the movie rating system is pretty well received by people, who often base their decisions to go see a movie with kids or not on the movie rating. It has never been a case when someone would feel cheated by the movie rating and express disappointment afterwards. Since the movie rating system is also self regulated, it follows that this regulatory method is working pretty well and it is not obvious how it can be the reason for the poor electronic game rating system. The argument would have been much clearer if it explicitly gave examples of how the self regulatory system led to bad ratings and customer dissatisfaction.

Second, the argument claims that any violation fees for bad electronic game ratings are nominal. It thus suggests that this is yet another reason for the rating system not working. This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between the monetary amount of the fines and the quality of the electronic game rating system. In fact, the argument does not even draw a parallel with the mentioned movie rating system and its violation fines. If any such correlation had been shown for the movie rating system, which supposedly works well, then the author would have sounded a bit more convincing. In addition, if the argument provided evidence that low violation fines lead to electronic game manufacturers to ignore any regulations with respect to the game rating system, the argument could have been strengthened even further.

Finally, the argument concludes that an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that violate the rating system, should be punished. From this statement again, it is not at all clear how an independent regulatory body can do a better job than a self regulated one. Without supporting evidence and examples from other businesses where independent regulatory bodies have done a great job, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence. As a result, this conclusion has no legs to stand on.

In summary, the argument is flawed and therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts. In order to assess the merits of a certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors.

5. Final tips

• During the tutorial type in a few sentences in the mock essay window to get used to the keyboard.
  • Again during the tutorial, jot down on your notebook the basic structure of your essays or the opening sentences in case you get too nervous and forget them when the clock starts ticking.
  • Write as much as you can. Try to write at least 500 words per essay.
  • Always have the e-rater in mind as your potential reviewer. Remember that the human rater will make every effort to grade just like the e-rater. In that sense, keep your structure and volume in mind over actual quality/content.
  • Be careful of spelling mistakes. Double check words that you normally know you misspell (e.g. exercise). Try to finish 2-3 minutes before time is up so you can slowly re-read your essay for the purposes of spell checking. Do not reorganize/delete sentences/paragraphs with less than 2 min left.
  • No matter how great you thought your essays went, try to stay humble and focused - remember this was just a warm-up and the real stuff hasn't started yet!

Good luck!

I think the Kudos (highest ever) speak for themselves about this brilliant post.
Great Job!

However, if i may, a small SC error that was kind of poking me, is mentioned below (highlighted above too)

"Therefore, the argument is rather weak, unconvincing, and has several flaws."

Parallelism error ( 'weak' 'convincing' not parallel with the phrase ' has several flaws' )

Nevermind :)

I would rather place the above template as an amazing art of work. ( No reverse causation for the last 4 words please :-D )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V37
GPA: 3.61
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Just wanted to add my appreciation for this guide. I wrote 3 practice essays using this guide the weekend prior to the GMAT and got a 6.0 on the real thing last week.
While I'm thrilled, this is clear evidence that computers shouldn't grade essays!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks chineseburned.
My AWA score went 4.0 to 5.5..
Thanks. you rock
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Kudos
Great guide! I used the tips in the guide presented and I scored 5.5 on the AWA.

Jochen
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dear chineseburned

I wanted to thank you for this post. I did the GMAT a week ago, and I just received my score, and guess what! 6.0
I am a foreign student, and English is not my first language.
My strategy was to memorize your template, I started writing the template everywhere I could (office, home, etc).

My story is not a great nor good story, the truth is that I got 49 in Math, and a #$@!#@! 21 in Verbal. I am very sad, since in every practice I got more than 31... 6 mgmat tests ranging from 31 to 36, and 2 official mba.com tests 34 and 31.

but if I have to thank someone that person is you, and the people in gmatclub.
I will be taking the GMAT again, I am afraid that I lost this years application round for that @$!@$ verbal, but I'll be back!

Thanks again dude, you rule... btw the percentile was 90.
Saludos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Method works. 6.0ed on recent exam. Thought I wouldn't pull off the assessment but the guide kept my argument well structured. Only looked at this post 1-2 days prior to exam. Use it!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
I would like to point out that the order is correct in which you receive the essays.. Analysis of an Argument is first, Analysis of an Issue is second. The Princeton Review course and book has these flipped which can confuse someone who's memorizing them in order (happened to me practicing yesterday).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos