Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get I20 when using US-based loan. Help please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
How to get I20 when using US-based loan. Help please! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 19:25
Hey guys,

I have been having some issues to get my I20 from school because I'm paying for school using US-based banks loans and I was wondering if someone knows how to deal with this.

Apparently, the school wants me to submit, in order to grant the I20, a CFR form along with documentation that shows I'm able to pay for school. However, the bank that has approved my credit tells me that I need to send them the I20, or my student visa (which I can't get without my I20), to move forward with the loan. Therefore, I can't do one without the other.

I spent over 6 hours today trying to figure this mess with no luck. According to both institutions, there's no way around it. This cannot be true. I'm sure I'm not the first student financing his degree entirely on US-based loans and I'm hoping there's some sort of communication issue going on.

Can someone shed some light on this issue? With little over a month to start orientation, I'm starting to stress out.

Any advice, help will be greatly appreaciated.

- Asdert
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: How to get I20 when using US-based loan. Help please! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 21:00
I'm wondering whether you could submit your loan approval letter with the CFR form as proof of your ability to pay for the cost of the program?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get I20 when using US-based loan. Help please! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 01:04
Well, I specifically asked that and they said that was not enough. :roll: I did ask the bank for the approval letter, though.
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get I20 when using US-based loan. Help please! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 05:08
This is really a tough situation.The school should understand and give the I20.The bank generally decides the loan amount based on the fees and expenses specified in the I20.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get I20 when using US-based loan. Help please! [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 16:13
This post received
KUDOS
Damn, something is terribly wrong with that school's policy overhere.

Wharton had issued me so called Award Notification Letter (ANL), which states all the sources of funds for my studies - loan (without co-signer), grant and my savings (some small ammount). Based on that ANL, UPenn issued the I-20 document in which are stated:
  • Personal funds (this is stated as a sum of loan and savings)
  • Other funds (grant in ammount xyz)

For visa process, I was required to show both ANL and I-20 to the officer, which I did and got the visa without any problem. Later in September I should go to the bank with my I-20 and I-94 (immigration document issued at arrival to US) in order to get the loan. Wharton's policy regarding this is not convenient for some students and some visa officers because loan is not even mentioned anywhere in the I-20, but one has to present ANL. However, they had no problem with that and virtually everyone has granted visa in the past.

Fellow of mine, admitted to MIT had slightly easier experience. MIT tends to put the loan ammount in I-20 directly which is much more convenient for US consular officers. Their I-20 has more items:
  • Personal funds (only savings without loan)
  • Alternative loan in ammount xyz
  • Other funds (grant)

I was little worried when I saw his I-20, but I experienced no problem at all with my visa process. I know this doesn't help, but at least could give you some insight in other school procedure. I hope the school is going to find some solution because there is probably large number of international applicants with same issue.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How to get I20 when using US-based loan. Help please!   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2009, 16:13