Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 10:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I am a newbie here. I have taken my gmat couple of years back with just one month of preparation. For Math, I prepared for a week. I never had any problem in Math since I took GRE. I scored a 49 in Math and heart breaking 26 in Verbal with overall score of 590. I strated my preparation again for the last couple of months. I know I am weak in Verbal part, so I would like to focus my energy on Math. I am aiming for 50 or more. I took a practice test couple of days back and I could score a 49. I am really curious to know, what can get me to 50 or more? Is it really very difficult to get there? Guys, please lend me some tips here. I heard Math is getting tougher these days, so I really doubt whether I can get even 49 this time :(. Most of the practice test, I am not finding enough time in Math and I had to guess atleat 4-5 questions. And out of those, I am getting atleast 3-4 wrong. So I believe that is the reason for not crossing the magic figure of 50. To get 50, do I need to get atleast 32-34 right? Please lend me your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 12:56
I am in same boat as you are. Hence I am subscribing to this thread, so I can benefit if somebody replies.
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1988

Kudos [?]: 6437 [1] , given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I can try to give you some clues - it is a path that's somewhat unique to all of us but the same in terms of direction.

Here is 1: my-quant-wakeup-story-journey-to-q50-gmat-80842.html

Here is 2: gmatprep1-700-q51-v33-2nd-gmatprep1-770-q51-v42-61448.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 22:43
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I scored a 49 in Math and heart breaking 26 in Verbal with overall score of 590.

If I would have been in your shoes, I would focus and dedicate all my energy to Verbal. IMHO gains will be much more in verbal than pushing yourself for +1 in quant.
Intern
Intern

Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 19:58
irajeevsingh wrote:
Quote:
I scored a 49 in Math and heart breaking 26 in Verbal with overall score of 590.

If I would have been in your shoes, I would focus and dedicate all my energy to Verbal. IMHO gains will be much more in verbal than pushing yourself for +1 in quant.

I take your advice seriously. I have already started focusing my energy on my weak ie: verbal. There is no escape :-(

My verbal score on the Manhattan tests is around 34-37. I will be extremely pleased if I can score atleast 35 on the D-day.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 22:25
:) Sure, wish you all the luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 08:41
I'm trying to get myself from about 47Q to 50Q. I know that's a large gap, but I have 6 weeks until my exam and I think I can at least get to the 49 level consistently if I practice enough. Tips are welcome.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 09:18
Can you let us know in which test did you get 47 in Quant? If you got that in Manhattan or Kaplan then you are certainly a candiate for 50+ in GMAT as far as I can tell.
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 09:54
sid82 wrote:
I am a newbie here. I have taken my gmat couple of years back with just one month of preparation. For Math, I prepared for a week. I never had any problem in Math since I took GRE. I scored a 49 in Math and heart breaking 26 in Verbal with overall score of 590. I strated my preparation again for the last couple of months. I know I am weak in Verbal part, so I would like to focus my energy on Math. I am aiming for 50 or more. I took a practice test couple of days back and I could score a 49. I am really curious to know, what can get me to 50 or more? Is it really very difficult to get there? Guys, please lend me some tips here. I heard Math is getting tougher these days, so I really doubt whether I can get even 49 this time :(. Most of the practice test, I am not finding enough time in Math and I had to guess atleat 4-5 questions. And out of those, I am getting atleast 3-4 wrong. So I believe that is the reason for not crossing the magic figure of 50. To get 50, do I need to get atleast 32-34 right? Please lend me your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

sid, did you try your hands on GMATPrep ? If not, I would strongly suggest that, since its only the GMATPrep tests that has questions very similar to the GMAT actual tests. With 2 GMATPrep tests, you would be able to identify the weak areas in Quant.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 10:21
whatthehell wrote:
Can you let us know in which test did you get 47 in Quant? If you got that in Manhattan or Kaplan then you are certainly a candiate for 50+ in GMAT as far as I can tell.

MGMAT CAT1: 47Q
MGMAT CAT2: 44Q
MGMAT CAT3: 47Q
MGMAT CAT4: 46Q

It's been a while since I've looked at the GMAT Prep stuff, but I took a diagnostic at the very beginning of my studies and from what I remember the official quant questions were less time-consuming to solve. The thing with the MGMAT CAT quant questions for me is sometimes I know I can solve them, but I just guess b/c I know I can't do it in 2 minutes.

Other times, the MGMAT questions involve really intricate algebraic manipulations. My guess is the real exam is not the same in this regard. The real exam does test your ability to "elegantly" solve questions through algebra, but it won't require you to do all these crazy calcs.

Anyway, I just did my first GMAT Club quant test (26/37 - 50.8 percentile). I may not have enough time to get through all of them, but I'll use these to improve my math as well.
2 KUDOS received
Suspended Member
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 50 [2] , given: 10

Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 01:50
This post received
KUDOS
Can you suggest some good practice material for quant.

OG has few tough questions only, kaplan math also not having much of them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 10:57
it seems like the jump from 48-50+ is more difficult than i first imagined. there's a lot to cover :(
1 KUDOS received
Suspended Member

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 10

Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
even i do agree that jumo from 47-48 to 50 or 51 requires time, i am still to try quant tests on gmatclub. hope it will do the trick.
Suspended Member

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 10

Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 11:47
one important input that might help to achieve 50 or 51 is what to practice??

can anyone help?? OG 11 and kaplan Math workbook doesnt have challenging questions.

1000 series doesnt have explanations!!!

where to go??
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 327

Kudos [?]: 1575 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 12:17
Expert's post
If you have already done with OG and GMATClub Tests. I would recommend:

1) Answer as more problems here, at forum as you can. It will give you self-confidence. Too simple? Solve it fast and have always a few ways to do so.

2) Hunt for weaknesses. Any mistake is gold! it clearly points to your weaknesses. Work hard to figure out why you did it wrong, find a base reason.

3) Concepts first, quantity second.

4) Even if you know an answer, before submitting it ask yourself: Where GMAC does want to trick you? If you clearly see "where" then click "Ok".

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

2 KUDOS received
Suspended Member

Kudos [?]: 50 [2] , given: 10

Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hey.... thanks a LOT for the help.....

i havent taken GMATclub tests, saved them for last leg of preparation.....
Intern
Intern

Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please. [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 09:20
irajeevsingh wrote:
Quote:

Guys,

Finished my GMAT a month ago. I could manage 730 (Q51 V37). I don't want to comment on verbal since it has been one of my weakest areas. I got nervous for a while in the verbal part and that would have cost me few points. All in all, I am satisfied with my score. I really put my bet on quant score and am very happy to get 51.

Few pointers.

1. Practice every quant question in timed mode. Try to practice the art of answering DS question doing most of the work in your mind and less on paper. It saves time.

2. For PS questions. Jump into the equations/numbers as and when you read questions on the screen. But for one or two questions most of the PS questions are straight forward give you have your fundas right. I didn't see any questions out of scope from OG.

I will come up with some more pointers shortly.
Re: How to get more than 50 in Math? Any tips please.   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2009, 09:20