Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:18
Hi All,

I am comfortable with Maths. But I am observing that I am not able to make my quant score reach 51.
Though I have not been able to analyse much on the mistakes I think one of the reasons is that I tend to spend little more time on the early questions leaving less time for last ones
and thus committing mistakes in the end. but not sure as to what else can be the problem and how to improve on the same.

Attaching my 2 mcat quant timing sheets, if someone can give me some insights as to how can I improve it.

Thanks much !!!
Attachments

MCAT Quant 2.xlsx [15.29 KiB]
Downloaded 102 times

To download please login or register as a user

MCAT Quant 1.xlsx [14.72 KiB]
Downloaded 75 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28758 [0], given: 2846

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:25
Expert's post
z3nith wrote:
Hi All,

I am comfortable with Maths. But I am observing that I am not able to make my quant score reach 51.
Though I have not been able to analyse much on the mistakes I think one of the reasons is that I tend to spend little more time on the early questions leaving less time for last ones
and thus committing mistakes in the end. but not sure as to what else can be the problem and how to improve on the same.

Attaching my 2 mcat quant timing sheets, if someone can give me some insights as to how can I improve it.

Thanks much !!!

ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-140445.html

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR QUANT SCORE

Improving from 30-35 to 40-44
Improving from 44 to 50

Other discussions dedicated to this issue:
quant-strategy-to-go-from-q47-to-q50-q51-137078.html
i-m-getting-a-consistent-q-48-49-i-m-an-engg-student-and-134999.html
3-weeks-to-increase-quant-score-134473.html
improving-q-from-a-50-to-a-145212.html
the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html
help-need-for-quant-150311.html
hitting-the-wall-please-share-your-prep-experience-150112.html
how-to-improve-quant-score-137975.html
need-pointers-to-move-q42-43-q50-148568.html
a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html
do-i-need-to-change-the-way-i-study-110611.html
several-people-has-asked-me-if-it-is-possible-to-improve-40820.html
gmat-in-less-than-4-weeks-desperately-need-quant-advice-127092.html
stuck-at-47-test-in-a-month-137521.html
improve-gmat-score-from-620-to-700-need-urgent-help-144530.html
calling-quant-experts-need-a-strategy-to-improve-146045.html
final-weeks-calculation-silly-errors-and-speed-129408.html
knocked-down-by-the-gmat-for-the-second-time-150350.html
how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html
help-gmat-in-3-days-134350.html

HOW TO SPEED UP

Want to speed up? Check this: Timing Strategies on the GMAT
for-non-quant-beasts-128188.html
how-to-speed-up-answering-math-questions-19365.html
having-trouble-finishing-quant-section-any-ideas-110613.html
ds-and-timing-help-108310.html

Hope this helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 07:07
Bunuel wrote:
z3nith wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks much !!!

ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-140445.html

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR QUANT SCORE

Improving from 30-35 to 40-44
Improving from 44 to 50

quant-strategy-to-go-from-q47-to-q50-q51-137078.html
i-m-getting-a-consistent-q-48-49-i-m-an-engg-student-and-134999.html
3-weeks-to-increase-quant-score-134473.html
improving-q-from-a-50-to-a-145212.html
the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html
help-need-for-quant-150311.html
hitting-the-wall-please-share-your-prep-experience-150112.html
how-to-improve-quant-score-137975.html
need-pointers-to-move-q42-43-q50-148568.html
a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html
do-i-need-to-change-the-way-i-study-110611.html
gmat-in-less-than-4-weeks-desperately-need-quant-advice-127092.html
stuck-at-47-test-in-a-month-137521.html
improve-gmat-score-from-620-to-700-need-urgent-help-144530.html
calling-quant-experts-need-a-strategy-to-improve-146045.html
knocked-down-by-the-gmat-for-the-second-time-150350.html
how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html
help-gmat-in-3-days-134350.html

HOW TO SPEED UP

Want to speed up? Check this: Timing Strategies on the GMAT
for-non-quant-beasts-128188.html
how-to-speed-up-answering-math-questions-19365.html
having-trouble-finishing-quant-section-any-ideas-110613.html
ds-and-timing-help-108310.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bunuel for the response.
I was wondering if you can help me with the specifics as to what needs to be done here.

As of now I have done the ALL quant questions from OG 12, and all the HARD questions, as per GMATCLub Excel, of Quantative Review.

Not sure what should be my next steps.
a) More practise of questions.
b) More practise of hard questions.
c) Re doing the same questions again.
d) Give more timed tests like test of GMATCLub.
e) going through theory book again from GMATClub
f) Learning some tricks.

Issue is because of time constraint I would not be able to do all of these so wanted to pick what will be the best option for me currently.

Not sure. Any advice

Regards !!
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [2] , given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
Honestly, if you can get Q49 then Q51 is possible but you just need to have a fantastic day. However, it really isn't worth working towards as a goal because the ROI is so low. It only takes a couple of silly errors on the day and you will ruin your chance of Q51. Much more worthwhile to work on other weak components of your GMAT.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 10:09
domotron wrote:
Honestly, if you can get Q49 then Q51 is possible but you just need to have a fantastic day. However, it really isn't worth working towards as a goal because the ROI is so low. It only takes a couple of silly errors on the day and you will ruin your chance of Q51. Much more worthwhile to work on other weak components of your GMAT.

Thanks for the advice but it is a little discouraging to leave things on fate on the test day.
Still wondering if something can be done .
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [2] , given: 2

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

It is neither too easy nor tough to get a 51 on the GMAT Quant. To develop any skill you need hard work, dedication, time and adaptive learning. Hard work and dedication is something that you can bring in with motivation.

Adaptive Learning is something that can guarantee you a 51. Now you cannot get a 51 on a bad day but we can convert all our normal days to 51. Which is why a 51 score indicates excellence. The following will help you to guarantee a 51:

1) Learning from each mistake : 33 % of the time should be spent practicing and the rest for reviewing the mistakes

2) Carrying more than one technique: You can't rely only on basic algebra skills to get you to the right answer always. There are various other techniques such as Numbers, Back Solving etc. which will help you to tackle tricky situations which can make or break a 51 score

3) Double Checking: If you give an extra 10 seconds to a question to double check your answer. There are many techniques to double check: Examples. Whenever you get an answer double check with an answer. I 'd say that 10 % of the times you will see a mistake.

4) As the famous Alex Ferguson says, " The hardest thing is doing anything the first time." So once you get a 51 once in any test then getting the second 51 won't be that tough.

If you follow all the above then only a bad day will not let you score a 51 and getting that 51 will become a habit.

Pushpinder Gill

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Last edited by CrackVerbalGMAT on 17 Oct 2013, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 05:39
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Hi,

It is neither too easy or tough to get a 51 on the GMAT Quant. To develop any skill you need hard work, dedication, time and adaptive learning. Hard work and dedication is something that you can bring in with motivation.

Adaptive Learning is something that can guarantee you a 51. Now you cannot get a 51 on a bad day but we can convert all our normal days to 51. Which is why a 51 score indicates excellence. The following will help you to guarantee a 51:

1) Learning from each mistake : 33 % of the time should be spent practicing and the rest for reviewing the mistakes

2) Carrying more than one technique: You can't rely only on basic algebra skills to get you to the right answer always. There are various other techniques such as Numbers, Back Solving etc. which will help you to tackle tricky situations which can make or break a 51 score

3) Double Checking: If you give an extra 10 seconds to a question to double check your answer. There are many techniques to double check: Examples. Whenever you get an answer double check with an answer. I 'd say that 10 % of the times you will see a mistake.

4) As the famous Alex Ferguson says, " The hardest thing is doing anything the first time." So once you get a 51 once in any test then getting the second 51 won't be that tough.

If you follow all the above then only a bad day will not let you score a 51 and getting that 51 will become a habit.

Pushpinder Gill

Thanks Pushpinder.
Great Inputs !!!!

Till now I have been spending time attempting to solve the questions by doing calculation faster but using the "basic skills" only.
Seems like the 3 techniques you mentioned
A) Analyzing answers. B) Finding an alternative approach to a question c) Double checking.
can be more effective. I have some questions on application of these methods

Background :
I have done question from OG 12 and Quant Review but yes not using these methods.
Questions:
a) Should I be spending time on redoing the same questions OR should I be doing fresh questions.
b) If fresh questions, Please comment of the best resources for the same. From the forums I gathered
jeff sackman extreme-challenge // Total GMAT Maths by Jeff Sackmann // Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant // GMAT Club Test // OTHERs ?
c) How should I be doing it ?
Timing for 37 questions at a time and trying to complete it in 60 mins. ( read in one of the post on GMAT Club )
OR
Some other way ?

I think i have wasted lot of my preparation time in just doing things and NOT doing in the most appropriate way so want to make sure that I don't it again.

Regards !!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 2

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 21:25
nitinmehta wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Hi,

It is neither too easy or tough to get a 51 on the GMAT Quant. To develop any skill you need hard work, dedication, time and adaptive learning. Hard work and dedication is something that you can bring in with motivation.

Pushpinder Gill

Thanks Pushpinder.
Great Inputs !!!!

Till now I have been spending time attempting to solve the questions by doing calculation faster but using the "basic skills" only.
A) Analyzing answers. B) Finding an alternative approach to a question c) Double checking.

Background :
I have done question from OG 12 and Quant Review but yes not using these methods.
Questions:
a) Should I be spending time on redoing the same questions OR should I be doing fresh questions.
b) If fresh questions, Please comment of the best resources for the same. From the forums I gathered
jeff sackman extreme-challenge // Total GMAT Maths by Jeff Sackmann // Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant // GMAT Club Test // OTHERs ?
Timing for 37 questions at a time and trying to complete it in 60 mins. ( read in one of the post on GMAT Club )
OR
Some other way ?

I think i have wasted lot of my preparation time in just doing things and NOT doing in the most appropriate way so want to make sure that I don't it again.

Regards !!

Hi Nitin,

You could go with Jeff Sackmann book. Just try to aim for accuracy. Maintain an excel sheet with the following columns:
(1) Question number
(2) Right / Wrong
(3) Feedback : Why did you get the question wrong? Scratch paper, Conceptual Problem so that you can see the big picture once you finish 50 questions.

Pushpinder Gill
Quantitative Instructor
CrackVerbal

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 21:43
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
nitinmehta wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
Hi,

Pushpinder Gill

Thanks Pushpinder.
Great Inputs !!!!

Background :
Questions:
OR
Some other way ?

Regards !!

Hi Nitin,

You could go with Jeff Sackmann book. Just try to aim for accuracy. Maintain an excel sheet with the following columns:
(1) Question number
(2) Right / Wrong
(3) Feedback : Why did you get the question wrong? Scratch paper, Conceptual Problem so that you can see the big picture once you finish 50 questions.

Pushpinder Gill
Quantitative Instructor
CrackVerbal

Thanks I will do that.
If I am reading correctly you are saying that I need to focus on accuracy first which I can get from Jeff's book and then I can focus on timings, if that becomes a problem.

would that be correct ?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [0], given: 165

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 20:39
Expert's post
z3nith wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks much !!!

I think you need to work on two things:
Geometry
Exponents and Roots

In these two topics you are either taking too much time or getting wrong answers. Also, 6 mins for a question - not done. You are setting yourself up for disaster later. If you do well in first few questions by putting in too much time, the software will give you 700-800 level questions later on too. You cannot do them in 30 secs that too with additional time pressure on your mind. Hence you have to ensure that you move ahead after 3 mins. If you still haven't got the answer, just go with your best guess.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: How to get to 51 from 47/49 in Quant   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2013, 20:39