Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get work experience in a part time program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: University of California Davis - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 570 Q23 V44
GMAT 2: 630 Q40 V35
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

How to get work experience in a part time program? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 12:24
**I also posted this in the career section, but havent gotten any responses, so I thought I would try it here. I think this section should've been where I posted it anyways.**

Hello,

I am curious about how a student would gain work experience during a part time MBA program. I understand that internships are a big part of the full time programs and would give an applicant a strong piece of work experience after the internship is complete, if not a job offer. My question is that since I will be entering a part time program, one that is structered around the fact that I have a full time job while going to school, how do I gain pre-MBA work experience?

I understand that every school may have a different take on this, and the school I am most interested in is UC Davis (Sacramento Campus), but really, any information would be great. During the info session I atteneded, they mentioned working with local companies in consultant-type positions, but I am wondering if there are other opportunities?

All of my work experience to date has been with the government, but I'm really interested in working in the private industry after graduation. I really think that a bit of similar experience would not only help my resume, but let me get a glimpse of what to expect.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: How to get work experience in a part time program? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 12:36
Since you are in a part-time MBA, that means you can get a full-time position right now on whatever job you want to get. My advice is to start looking at jobs NOW. Use your school's career service now and look for jobs that might interest you. Be very aggressive in your job seeking.

The cold hard fact is that, your MBA degree gives you opportunities and reasons to look for a job, but it will not make your job seeking life any easier.

Be aggressive, don't wait.

My blog on MBA life, App Prep Guide, and the baller things that B-Schoolers do.

Re: How to get work experience in a part time program?   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2011, 12:36