Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 23:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to go about it?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

How to go about it? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 05:57
Sir,

My name is Shitiz and I am an engineering student from India. I am in the final semester of my B.E Civil Engineering program and will graduate in June 2014. I gave my GMAT (first attempt) in August 2013 and got a score of 680(Q50, V31). I applied to ISB's YLP and wasn't shortlisted in the 2nd round. I am not 100% sure about an MBA right now, but as the time comes near when I would be expected to enter a very conventional, entry-level, civil engineering job role in India, where the work-life balance is skewed beyond measure I feel that an MBA would be a much better option.

I am a student at Thapar University, which is an above average technical university in India. I have a GPA of 8.9/10.

Through the campus placement procedure, I have been offered a job role at Larsen and Toubro, which is an Infrastructure giant. I would enter as a graduate trainee. After a period of 1 year as a trainee I would be a Construction Engineer where I would be a part of a team of about 30-40 workers and supervisors. I feel that I can wait a maximum of 5 years before I join an MBA program. Beyond 5 years, I feel that I might lose interest or just..I'm unsure of what things would be like 5 years from now, for me.

Self-actualization and constant improvement is all I seek, and I am willing to work hard since it's just the beginning of my professional life but I do hope to maintain a healthy work-life balance. If I ever manage to gather enough resources I want to have my own hotel chain, realty development firm, automobile manufacturing co. (If u ask me what i'm passionate about I'd say it's 'creation'. I am a good painter (creating artwork), I play the piano(creating music) and I recently came to the conclusion that this was the reason why I took up Civil Engineering, because it enables me to create something that is bigger and stronger than I am, it has physical form, and serves the general public.)

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there something I could do, or read, to understand and gain clarity if an MBA is the right choice for me?

2) If it is, what sort of work should I be doing to strengthen my chances of getting into a top program after a work-ex of 2-4 years?

3) What sort of work opportunities are available at this stage ? (What sort of work-ex do the general applicants have?)

4) I am confused and unable to draw a timeline to an MBA, and after. I have attached my resume, maybe you could have a look and give me some suggestions as to how I should go about it.

Thank You

Regards

Shitiz Synghal
Attachments

SZ.pdf [356.11 KiB]
Downloaded 5 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
How to go about it?   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 05:57