Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to go for entrepreneurship but be employable

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

How to go for entrepreneurship but be employable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 07:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think this is my first post, so Hi, great forum thanks for everything...

I am going to apply to a few top-10 programs in a month and am just now starting my essays.

Ive read that AdComs can see a really good applicant, and then read his or her essays and feel like the applicant is unemployable because he or she is dreaming, drifting, lost, and/or hasnt really researched post-MBA goals - subsequently "dinging" the applicant.

I would like to be honest and indicate that I am primarily interested in the school's entrepreneurial management curriculum (Wharton, NYU to name a couple). I have a ho-hum start up business at the moment, and military background.

I plan on writing (the truth) that I am interested in the EM and *also* some other management curriculum, and that post-MBA I am primarily interested in management in startups (the school region's VC portfolio startups), but as a backup if this area is dried up/unattractive in 2 years to join an established management team or MC firm, capitalizing on skills and networks gained in "the other mgmt curriculum".

Basically my questions are:

how much more specificity should I provide here?
does this appear like a solid approach, or will I likely be labeled an unemployable drifter?
what kind of employment outside of a consulting firm do management tracks lead MBA candidates?
what is a good research platform for looking into where MBA grads are getting jobs given specific curriculums?

thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: How to go for entrepreneurship but be employable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 17:06
BAMBAMBAM wrote:
I plan on writing (the truth) that I am interested in the EM and *also* some other management curriculum, and that post-MBA I am primarily interested in management in startups (the school region's VC portfolio startups), but as a backup if this area is dried up/unattractive in 2 years to join an established management team or MC firm, capitalizing on skills and networks gained in "the other mgmt curriculum".

I personally think that this sounds risky to put in your essay. If you want to enter into VC post-MBA, then you should explicitly say that. If you want to enter into consulting, then you should say that instead. Not both/either/or.

You need to convince the adcom that you know exactly what you want to do post-MBA. Recruiting for internships start just a few months after classes do and you need to start prepping to secure that internship from day one.

You can definitely focus on entrepreneurship during your MBA and then enter a related field, such as consulting, post-MBA. You don't have to join a startup or launch your own thing just because that was your concentration.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: How to go for entrepreneurship but be employable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 23:29
BAMBAMBAM wrote:
I am primarily interested in management in startups (the school region's VC portfolio startups)

Are you interested in starting your own company or working for a startup? Working for a startup is not really entrepreneurship
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: How to go for entrepreneurship but be employable [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 21:02
I'd pick an angle and stick with it (at least for the essays). Again, a lot of people coming into b-school don't know what they want to do after, but at least on the essays they do ;)

I'd try to spell out the story about how your start-up, even if you feel it's dull, has opened doors for you and inspired you to learn more about entrepreneurship... then tie it back to how the school is the perfect fit for you to make it happen with the school's contacts, network and education.

Feel free to pm me. One of my essays was very similar in that I wrote about how from starting my own company has inspired me to start something post MBA.
Re: How to go for entrepreneurship but be employable   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2011, 21:02